After 5 Years, Lost The Right To Vote.

I understand the direction it's taking, of course, Harper is from Alberta... the most "American" of all the provinces. Quebec used to be the black-sheep in the family, but it turns out Alberta is the strange uncle.

From the sounds of it, you're not from Alberta. Neither is Harper. Misinformed Canadians need not vote.

Better vote: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33753061

I understand the direction it's taking, of course, Harper is from Alberta... the most "American" of all the provinces. Quebec used to be the black-sheep in the family, but it turns out Alberta is the strange uncle.

From the sounds of it, you're not from Alberta. Neither is Harper. Misinformed Canadians need not vote.

Not from Alberta? Calling him from Alberta makes you 'misinformed'?

He's been there since he was 19, got a degree there, and remained throughout all of his political life. He's only ever represented Calgary ridings. He's an Albertan since anyone ever heard of him.

Yes he was born in Toronto - and remains a Leafs fan to this day - but calling someone misinformed for calling him from Alberta doesn't make much sense.

A few years ago, I recall seeing Italian campaign posters in Buenos Aires, for all those with Italian citizenship apparently eligible to vote.

Do you mean to vote for the Italian elections? Of course, if you are a citizen over 18 y.o. but are residing abroad, you have the right to vote (even if you have never set a foot in Italy nor paid Italian taxes!).

You have to made aware the Consulate that you are living in their consular district, and provide a residential address where your voting card will be shipped (I think directly from Italy). Then you mail your vote (I believe directly to Italy). The candidates are different from those available to Italians residing in Italy - they represent Italians abroad in the Italian Parliament. Their number is limited. However, usually the voting card get lost in the mail or arrive too late to vote or after voting has closed.
Though there is for sure some rigging, the influences of those votes is so small, nobody cares.

I think you saw some posters telling people to register at the consulate (as Italian citizens residing abroad) in order to be able to vote.

Do you mean to vote for the Italian elections? Of course, if you are a citizen over 18 y.o. but are residing abroad, you have the right to vote (even if you have never set a foot in Italy nor paid Italian taxes!).

You have to made aware the Consulate that you are living in their consular district, and provide a residential address where your voting card will be shipped (I think directly from Italy). Then you mail your vote (I believe directly to Italy). The candidates are different from those available to Italians residing in Italy - they represent Italians abroad in the Italian Parliament. Their number is limited. However, usually the voting card get lost in the mail or arrive too late to vote or after voting has closed.
Though there is for sure some rigging, the influences of those votes is so small, nobody cares.

I think you saw some posters telling people to register at the consulate (as Italian citizens residing abroad) in order to be able to vote.

No, it was a candidate seeking votes in 2008: http://tinyurl.com/o5m5u83

No, it was a candidate seeking votes in 2008: http://tinyurl.com/o5m5u83

Apparently he sought and found those votes! He earned around 1,2 millions of € in electoral reimbursements over the 5 years of his mandate (2001-2006) and the next election run in 2008! He was the only candidate of his party (Associazione Italiani Sud America), so all of the money went to him personally. [source, in Italian]

I have read on the Foreign Ministry website that we have representatives for each of the following regions, so he wasn't specifically representing Argentina, just South America:

• Europa, compresi i territori asiatici della Federazione russa e della Turchia;
• America meridionale;
• America settentrionale e centrale;
• Africa Asia, Oceania ed Antartide.

Overall, Italians abroad elect 18 representatives: 12 Deputati (over 321) e 6 Senatori (over 630), a mere 1,2%.
For a population 61 millions of Italians in Italy plus the 400k living abroad you mentioned.

You lose your right to vote after leaving the uk for a certain amount of time. I was also unable to vote on the Scottish Independence referendum as i wasn't someone living in Scotland at the time.

Ironically the conservatives have decided for the In Out EU vote only "British" citizens can vote, and all the rest can live with whatever wins.

@Juantime - as ben had mentioned, he is from TO, so what? He has been sitting strong in Calgary since I can remember... in fact my sister in-law was working as one of his campaign aides during his federal election bid. I myself couldn't stomach his brand of politics, and I still contend that Albertans still strongly supports Harper despite his questionable manoeuvres, and have other inclinations.

I'm not misinformed, just skipping over the S.Harper bio. And no I'm not from Alberta, thanks. 1 year in Calgary was all I could take, but Canmore was great.

Right, so first I am from Alberta and left at 19. I live in Buenos Aires and I find your summary of Harper and Alberta misinformed for those people on this forum who are not Canadian. This was my aim but if you choose to take issue with 'misinformed' maybe 'lack of attention to detail which grudgingly needs pointing out' is a better proclamation.

My experience of living in Ontario, where I suspect you come from, is by far the more American in culture.

From the outside, I suppose anyone following the pedantry of a debate on Canada would liken it to lifting a rock and seeing two ants squabbling over a piece of food- nobody really gives a shit.

I believe Canada is America's hat and that's why I left. Having said that, I am more surprised than you that I would actually defend Alberta but hey, ignorance annoys me.

I now leave you to the 'wet biscuit' discussions I normally observe only from afar.

mwah

Back