After 5 Years, Lost The Right To Vote.

gpop

Registered
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/national-post-view-save-voting-for-people-living-in-canada

A few years ago, I recall seeing Italian campaign posters in Buenos Aires, for all those with Italian citizenship apparently eligible to vote.

I think it makes sense not to have a vote if you're not eligible by residency requirements, as long as you are not contributing to the taxes as well it makes even more sense. In the US, I'd be worried at not having national representation because of how invasive the country is world-wide (and don't even get me started on FACTA and the problems that causes for expats), although even having national representation, i.e., the ability to help elect the president, doesn't really give much comfort. Canada is a bit easier to get along with and probably not much of a detriment to its citizens abroad.

I use very few services of the US. People would argue that I "enjoy" the protection of the US military and consular services while being an expat abroad, but at least the military part I see as quite a detriment to my existence. I don't get into situations where I need rescuing by the US military, but if I did the likelihood of being rescued by a military operation isn't really all that good. In fact, with all of our world-wide meddling in the affairs of other nations militarily and economically, I'm often made a target instead. The consular service will get in touch with local authorities and "work with them to watch the situation" in case I'm in trouble on foreign soil. And any consular service I've used in the course of normal expat life has cost me money out of my own pocket.

What do I get for the taxes I pay while living in a foreign land? Sure as hell not what interests me.

This isn't surprising, this country has been getting shiter since Stephen Harper became PM.
His famous line is "You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it."

The end result will be --> SOLD to USA undersigned by CIA or NSA.

A lot of mhy friends and family are telling me that if I returned now, i wouldn't recongize it anylonger.

I understand the direction it's taking, of course, Harper is from Alberta... the most "American" of all the provinces. Quebec used to be the black-sheep in the family, but it turns out Alberta is the strange uncle.

It's troubling, the way it's turning out.

This isn't surprising, this country has been getting shiter since Stephen Harper became PM.
His famous line is "You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it."

Yes, a law passed by the Mulroney government (remember him?) and unchallenged by Chretien (and Martin) is totally a sign of how Harper is shitti-izing the country.

Back