Air Conditioning Situation In Ba

Vwang777

Registered
Hi everyone! I'm a student from Hong Kong who's about to spend a year studying in BA. I was wondering, is it common for houses/restaurants/shops to have AC in BA? I ask because in Hong Kong, there is AC in every house/restaurant/shop, new or old, to accommodate to our sweltering 40 degree c. summer weather. Does the weather get nearly as hot in BA and will I be able to survive if my homestay family doesn't have AC in the house?

Thanks!

Hi Vwang777, have noticed hence you declared you're from Hong Kong instead coming from the US, your English in general is pretty good ..Your writing is as good as any "Mericanos" or better than some native English speaker in here. The Hongkongnese that I have accostumed to known they are not as fluent as you seemingly. ?

or coming from any of the 80 countries around the world where English is the first language GRRRrr.

p.s Hong Kong has English as an official language along with Chinese.

Regardless as if HK has English as official or not,and perhaps prior to returning to the red chinese, the majority of Hongkonese knowst to me, their English proficiency is far to be true, thus the OP's fluency has gotten my attention. Perhaps his Google translate works better than my Japanese tool!

The last time I visited Hong Kong, their inhabitants couldn't speak an Iota in English or did not understand their English..

Hi Vwang777, have noticed hence you declared you're from Hong Kong instead coming from the US, your English in general is pretty good ..Your writing is as good as any "Mericanos" or better than some native English speaker in here. The Hongkongnese that I have accostumed to known they are not as fluent as you seemingly. ?

I think his spelling it too good to be from the US :)

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

@Vwang777: there are aircons everywhere here, much the same as hk. :)
By the looks of it though, the temp is a bit cooler here in summer:
eojlryR.png

(from here)

most places have AC and from my unofficial analysis (aka what i remember) the temperature hovered around 37-38 degrees for all of december and january. the one thing to look out for is that when everyone in the city is running their AC, there are power cuts from time to time. of course no way to plan for that but it seemed like last year certain areas got hit harder than others

If your home stay family doesn't have one see if you can install one nor get a huge fan. It gets very hot here and it's extremely humid. Many restaurants, offices, subways and buses have A/C, but not all of them.
Sometimes the extreme temperature in a place with A/C to the hot street and be shocking, but you adapt. The aforementioned problem with black outs when everyone has their air conditioner on is a serious problem, but nothing to worry about. Black outs can last a few days or a week and can happen more than once in certain neighborhoods, but it depends in which area of the city.

While it is humid, it is nothing compared to HK weather. Your family will probably have AC, if not, you can probably work something out with them.
Welcome to BsAs although I can assure you the food here will be nowhere near as good as what you have at home! One of my fave things about HK, the amazing food everywhere :)

There is AC but seldom adequate for me in public places. I like it around 70 to 72 F. Argentines generally like warmer room temps. In winter they overheat, in summer undercool (partly due to costs). When the temperature drops slightly you can see people bundled up as though they are going to Antarctica in winter. Rental apts often have old old air conditioning units that work poorly.

Back