Airline Booking - Return ticket date?

JoeKelly711

Registered
We are flying from the US to Buenos Aires early in March. We understand that the tourist visa is only valid for 90 days. We would like to purchase tickets for a longer stay (probably under 180 total days to allow for one visa extension). Has anyone ever had an issue with a return flight date later than the expiration date of the tourist visa?

Thanks,

Joe and Kelly

There are numerous threads on this subject.

Migraciones, up to this point, does not ask for you to show a return ticket. Sometimes the airlines do, but that's a different story.

At any rate, buying a roundtrip ticket with the return occurring after the 90 days is certainly quite common. You can just tell them that you're traveling around South America.

I had no problems with checking in although my return ticket was 5 months later, neither did I have any problems at immigration.

So many people arrive in Bs As and travel overland to other countries that return dates on airline tickets are not taken as an indication of your stay in Argentina. There is evidence that the authorities are paying more attention to people who abuse the tourist visa system but if you plan to leave within 180 days after one renewal, you should have no trouble at all. (Hint: crossing an international border and coming back again will have exactly the same effect as a visa renewal and - provided you don't visit a country that charges visa fees - won't cost you anything)

JoeKelly711 said:
We are flying from the US to Buenos Aires early in March. We understand that the tourist visa is only valid for 90 days. We would like to purchase tickets for a longer stay (probably under 180 total days to allow for one visa extension). Has anyone ever had an issue with a return flight date later than the expiration date of the tourist visa?

Thanks,

Joe and Kelly

I first arrived (as a tourist) with a return ticket dated five months later (knowing nothing about the conditions of the visas). Argentine migraciones didn't ask to see my return ticket or my itinerary.

I got the 90 day extension at migraciones just prior to the end of my initial 90 day visa.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

BTW: I never used the return ticket. I applied for residency and stayed.

Do not want to rain on your parade, but my last trip to Buenos Aires (Nov.), suggests it could be a problem. When checking in with Delta, observed the clerk checking something and asked him what the problem was, "had to insure your return booking is not over 90 days." I stayed for 63 days so it was not a problem for me. That is what I experienced my friend. Travel from USA to Buenos Aires. Good luck.

dennisr said:
Do not want to rain on your parade, but my last trip to Buenos Aires (Nov.), suggests it could be a problem. When checking in with Delta, observed the clerk checking something and asked him what the problem was, "had to insure your return booking is not over 90 days." I stayed for 63 days so it was not a problem for me. That is what I experienced my friend. Travel from USA to Buenos Aires. Good luck.

That is a little concerning. 4 out of 5 favorable replies isn't bad, but it seems like your trip was the most recent. Sounds like we may need to call the airlines before booking to see which airlines have which restrictions. I guess it is up to them whether or not they choose to let us on the plane. Is it legal for them to refuse our tickets?

Absolutely NO problem - Don't be alarmed from tales that appear on here. I arrived from the US (although not a US citizen) on Continental, with a return ticked dated September 2010 - I was never asked anything by the airline, nor by immigration when I arrived. I have numerous frineds who have arrived since in exactly the same way, with return tickets some time ahead in the future, or even some without return flights at all.....

At worst, all you have to say if questioned is that you are travelling around South America, and will return to BsAs near the time of your booked flight - Don't get alarmed by the scaremongers on here, who have nothing better to do.....

Back