Airline ticket prices

Prices in kayak show in US dollars in my pc...so I could use my US debit card right? still think that 35% is built into that price if you buy from argentina. oh well

Prices in kayak show in US dollars in my pc...so I could use my US debit card right? still think that 35% is built into that price if you buy from argentina. oh well
Kayak is a US site, you are using a US account and US debit card. How would the argentine Pais tax enter the equation?

If you used an Arg debit card you would certainly pay all the foreign transaction purchases. It would actually be cheaper in usd in the end if you transfer wupesos and then pay from Arg. Just look at the difference between the tourist dollar and the wupesos.

But good luck paying that much since the daily debit limit is only 200,000 pesos. This works great for domestic flights but anything international is likely to be above the daily limit.

The real price of the flight is the "dollar" price. The "peso" price includes the extra taxes (official rate + imp Pais + AFIP).
I think it is expensive because Argentina is far from the US and, after the pandemic, more people are chosing to flight. So, IMO there are a strong demand of international flights.

As an aside, does anybody have experience with Latam Airlines? My options for flying into Buenos Aires are effectively British Airways and Latam and I am wondering whether to give Latam a go as they seem a little bit cheaper though I have never flown Latam before

As an aside, does anybody have experience with Latam Airlines? My options for flying into Buenos Aires are effectively British Airways and Latam and I am wondering whether to give Latam a go as they seem a little bit cheaper though I have never flown Latam before
Flown British Airways (BA) and Latam internationally many times. BA has an excellent lie flat business class seat in a brand new aircraft from London Heathrow, I managed to get an upgrade to this seat last month. The same aircraft stops in Sao Paulo (GRU) for around 1.5 hours and continues onto EZE. Latam flies from London Heathrow to Sao Paulo too, but you will need to change planes and transfer at GRU to get to Buenos Aires. Indeed I have noticed that the fares on Latam can be cheaper than British Airways. Latam is one of the better South American carriers.

Often the cheapest way to get to and from Europe is via Madrid (MAD) as there are several carriers including Iberia, Air Europa and Aerolineas Argentinas. Although I would avoid the Argentine airline in my experience. Many low cost flights from MAD airport go to most places in Europe.

Flown British Airways (BA) and Latam internationally many times. BA has an excellent lie flat business class seat in a brand new aircraft from London Heathrow, I managed to get an upgrade to this seat last month. The same aircraft stops in Sao Paulo (GRU) for around 1.5 hours and continues onto EZE. Latam flies from London Heathrow to Sao Paulo too, but you will need to change planes and transfer at GRU to get to Buenos Aires. Indeed I have noticed that the fares on Latam can be cheaper than British Airways. Latam is one of the better South American carriers.

Often the cheapest way to get to and from Europe is via Madrid (MAD) as there are several carriers including Iberia, Air Europa and Aerolineas Argentinas. Although I would avoid the Argentine airline in my experience. Many low cost flights from MAD airport go to most places in Europe.

How did the flight experience compare with Latam compared to BA? I flew that flight with BA in February and actually didn’t terribly like being stuck on the same plane while the flight crew switched over at Sao Paolo and the idea of being able to stretch my legs following the London -> Sao Paolo leg seems rather appealing. For my dates the cheapest seems to be via Sao Paolo both sides with Latam and Sao Paolo on arrival/Madrid on departure with BA.

(I’ll be flying Economy both ways in either case)

How did the flight experience compare with Latam compared to BA? I flew that flight with BA in February and actually didn’t terribly like being stuck on the same plane while the flight crew switched over at Sao Paolo and the idea of being able to stretch my legs following the London -> Sao Paolo leg seems rather appealing. For my dates the cheapest seems to be via Sao Paolo both sides with Latam and Sao Paolo on arrival/Madrid on departure with BA.

(I’ll be flying Economy both ways in either case)

Latam airlines economy experience was OK probably about equal to BA in the back of the plane, although they use older aircraft on this route. The Airbus A350 version flown by BA is quiet and has good inflight entertainment system for the long flight. Of course there is the risk ( small in my view ) that your bag may not make it on the subsquent flight. Have a good trip.

Kayak is a US site, you are using a US account and US debit card. How would the argentine Pais tax enter the equation?
The real price of the flight is the "dollar" price. The "peso" price includes the extra taxes (official rate + imp Pais + AFIP).
I guess, it depends on whether it is a national travel company or a foreign one.

At least in the early days after this PAIS tax had been introduced, Kayak or Expedia? showed prices in pesos without the imp Pais. Basically, they just multiplied dollar price by the official exchange rate to show the price in pesos on the website and invoiced people in pesos. Then Arg bank analyzed the transaction, figured out that foreign currency exchange was involved, and slapped the imp Pais on top of it.

Things might be different now.

I flew to NYC last month on American A. I paid $1,377 RT/ nonstop. I purchased the ticket through Expedia.
When I got to EZE at the check in I was told that I needed to pay an extra $45.00 for my luggage. I took out my CC and paid it.
Two weeks later I was checking in at JFK coming back to BA I was told that I needed to pay $65.00 for my luggage. I paid it.
This time I had two pieces plus one carry on. Do airlines expect you to travel on an international flight without luggage? I don't get it.
Next time I'll think twice before traveling on that airline.

I flew to NYC last month on American A. I paid $1,377 RT/ nonstop. I purchased the ticket through Expedia.
When I got to EZE at the check in I was told that I needed to pay an extra $45.00 for my luggage. I took out my CC and paid it.
Two weeks later I was checking in at JFK coming back to BA I was told that I needed to pay $65.00 for my luggage. I paid it.
This time I had two pieces plus one carry on. Do airlines expect you to travel on an international flight without luggage? I don't get it.
Next time I'll think twice before traveling on that airline.
American is horrible and have been for years.

Back