Allowed Baby Names?

Sleuth

Registered
Does anyone have a link to the list of allowed baby names in Argentina? The http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/ site has broken links for every single page dealing with names... (of course)

Thanks.

Wait ... what do you mean ALLOWED??? You mean suggested or common names right? Is there a baby name police here?

Some countries only allow you to legally name your child based on a specific list. Before some of you start complaining about the draconian Argentine government inhibiting your right to exp<b></b>ression, understand that it is actually quite common:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-21229475

As a red-blooded, freedom-loving 'Merican, I've always found it weird, but then again, why should your parents be able to give you whatever crazy name pops into their head, like Miller Lyte McConaughey (Matthew's nephew) or Bunny Easter (someone I went to highschool with).

Some countries only allow you to legally name your child based on a specific list. Before some of you start complaining about the draconian Argentine government inhibiting your right to exp<b></b>ression, understand that it is actually quite common:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-21229475

As a red-blooded, freedom-loving 'Merican, I've always found it weird, but then again, why should your parents be able to give you whatever crazy name pops into their head, like Miller Lyte McConaughey (Matthew's nephew) or Bunny Easter (someone I went to highschool with).

Hmmm interesting, just wondering how "foreign" names are interpreted.

I get it about nutty parents and names ...: There's a girl in Rio de Janeiro named "Umbrella" ... if you don't speak English it may sound like a pretty name

I still remember the story our high school biology teacher told us about a woman who delivered with him and named her baby the first thing she heard - Placenta.

Anyhow, the name we wanted is on the list albeit with only one spelling - Milo rather than a possible Mylo. I guess that it's Milo then.

Thanks.

Wait ... what do you mean ALLOWED??? You mean suggested or common names right? Is there a baby name police here?

Yes - if your child is born here, there is a list of allowed names you can choose from (some 9000 in total btwn boy/girl). If your name isn't on the list, you can petition to have it added but I don't know of anyone who has done is successfully.

The only thing to remember with a name like Milo/Mylo is that here it will be pronounced Meelo. You will be correcting people constantly (unless that's the pronounciation you want, not Mai-low) If you don't mind, go for it. I've actually always loved the name Milos (mee-losh)... hmm maybe because it belonged to a ridiculously sexy Czech guy I once knew... haha

The names site for the govt is terrible, you have to basically go through it just pressing the arrows from one page to the next to get it to load. I think you *may* be able to limit it by sex without breaking the page. It's annoying. But the Capital list does have more names on it than some of the provincia lists (yes the registry varies from province to province, and if a name you like is on one provincial list but not the other you can argue for it to be put on rather easily, unlike the process for getting the name registered for a first time use).

My son's name wasn't on the list but I got it accepted. It's easier with UK embassy, you just take them a webpage print out that shows the name is recognised in UK already, eg random deed poll page, and they prepare a letter for you. Getting it accepted was a lengthy process timewise and unfortunately the US embassy do not provide this service. They will just hand you a one-size-fits-all letter saying all names are allowed in US and the people at the registro civil will chuck it in the trash.

Back