Almagro - a decent neighbourhood?

kels

Registered
Hi all,

Just wondering what Almagro's reputation is... we are currently looking at apartments and a few have come up here that seem pretty decent but I wanted to know what you all thought about it.

Thanks!

I love Almagro and believe that it is great choice . Its friendlier than Palermo with better restaurants off the beaten track

I live in Almagro and I like it. I am near the border with Caballito not far from the Rio de Janiero Subte Station A line. I can be down town in 15 minutes. It is a area with average Argentines. Not too many turists.
Hope that helps.

Mike

Thanks so much - I quite like the feel of it as well but just wanted to see what the general consensus was.

What should we expect as far as rents go?

I liked it so much I have bought a place there. It does tend to be a bit noisier than say palermo, but it keeps a very local feel. I am almost never treated as a tourist and find the shops and bars very reasonable price wise. The exception being the bars along Corrientes, for some reason the eyes light up and they see a cash cow walking in. Get just half a block off however and you are in a different world.
There are hundreds of little artisans around Medrano and Gascon, if you want anything you will find it here or someone who will make it for you.

I also live in Almagro and I love it. It may not be as pretty as Palermo or Belgrano, but Corrientes is extremely convinient with bus lines that go everywhere and the B line subte. There are a lot of stores in a variety of price ranges (nearby Once for cheap, Shopping Abasto for expensive) and I've found some great hole in the wall bars and restaurants. Plus, if you really like Palermo it's only a short bus ride or walk away. I've never had any problems with security and I can go for weeks without seeing any tourists. In terms of rent prices, 1200-1600 seems to be the range for a 1 bedroom, long-term lease apartments I have no idea for short term, furnished places.

tangobob said:
I liked it so much I have bought a place there. It does tend to be a bit noisier than say palermo, but it keeps a very local feel. I am almost never treated as a tourist and find the shops and bars very reasonable price wise. The exception being the bars along Corrientes, for some reason the eyes light up and they see a cash cow walking in. Get just half a block off however and you are in a different world.
There are hundreds of little artisans around Medrano and Gascon, if you want anything you will find it here or someone who will make it for you.

Thanks so much - with regards to the artisans...any chance you think there might be someone who could make me a leather bag to my specifications ;)

Hi Kels,

A good neighborhood with as said before a nice local feeling in some areas, although one part of Almagro might be nicer than other ones, rent would depend also on the amount of time staying I suppose!

Hia

I think it depends abit on which street it is some are better than others.

I would say the place is on the up as they are building alot of decent flats here as Palermo is too expensive now.

The place is more Argentine and has some great local shops with everything you need. It has better transport than Palermo with the Tube being very useful.

It look like we are going back to the UK so if you are interested in a long term rent, I am looking for someone for here from May 15th ish. It is a fantastic two bed flat with a terrace of 30 msq it is on Corrientes and Medrano. I am looking for 2500 pesos everything included (furniture internet etc)

Good luck

Chaz

I have lived in BA for 20 years. Im fro the Uk. I have lived in several areas of the City. If you have a car this is NOT a good spot to leave on the street at night. Its a marginal improving area. I like Belgrano much more or Nunez, Savedra.
M.

Back