Am I a little nuts to choose BA? Help.

NickBA said:
I'm a bit shocked at how negative all the responses are. The bottom line is that BA is a great city with an incredibly interesting culture. Yes, parts of it are dangerous, but that goes for most major cities in the world. Go while you're young, because in 10 years the experience will not be the same, plain and simple. My only major advice would be to come with more savings that $5,000 because you'll spend it much faster than you think...

Don't worry Nick. Not everyone has to think the same way as you do. That's the kind of world we live in.

MemoryAtlas, please keep in mind that I think I am one of many who are happy they didn't run across this forum until after moving here. Many of these posters spend HOURS a day on here being negative when they should really be outside trying to get a whiff of the roses. I asked NO ONE if they thought moving to BA would be a good idea, and thank goodness I didn't.

allcraz said:
MemoryAtlas, please keep in mind that I think I am one of many who are happy they didn't run across this forum until after moving here. Many of these posters spend HOURS a day on here being negative when they should really be outside trying to get a whiff of the roses. I asked NO ONE if they thought moving to BA would be a good idea, and thank goodness I didn't.

(Haha, hilarious!)

OR we aren't idiots that we should be running around looking for roses to take a whiff.

Oh whiff reminds me, that rotting pile of dog sh*t...ah, you've just ruined my day!

I am 26, as I have mentioned many times before on this forum there is much about BA that I love. But I am not one that could hack it for the rest of my life. BA can be a helluva lot of fun and dont doubt that any young person coming here for a short period of time will have a ball.

I think the drawback now for young people coming (and anyone else) just to have fun and pick up a little spanish is the $. BA is just not cheap anymore. Taxis are just about to have another 25% hike also (thats the second 25% within 6 mths!). I guess if you are on a fixed budget, its worth weighing up whether you would prefer say 12 months of Buenos Aires, or perhaps my time in Central America where your budget would be stretched further.

Johnny said:
Jeez, what a bleak picture. I think BA is a beautiful city, and most of the young people that I have met here love it. They provide a great support system for one another and have a lot of fun. Its not necessary to live in a hostel long term. There are tons of homes shared by young people who do quite well in that communal atmosphere.

Many of the young expats I know no longer follow BAexpats, assuming they ever did. Way too negative, pessimistic, and obsessive about crime and money. You know...like the criminals.;)

This could be the post of the year. It says it all. A young person looking for a travel experience and not giving up a flourishing career or set up long terms roots in Bsas has a totally different perspective and set of needs than someone with a family looking to work and live like a local. We old curmuedgeons need to stop opining on the right time to come and the youngsters may stop giving us a hard time for being negative about things that matter to serious long term expats with homes, business etc here...:D

fifs2 said:
This could be the post of the year. It says it all. A young person looking for a travel experience and not giving up a flourishing career or set up long terms roots in Bsas has a totally different perspective and set of needs than someone with a family looking to work and live like a local. We old curmuedgeons need to stop opining on the right time to come and the youngsters may stop giving us a hard time for being negative about things that matter to serious long term expats with homes, business etc here...:D
Fifs2-thanks for the complement. BTW-I'm 59, and anybody who knows me knows that I can be as grouchy, and as much of a curmudgeon as the next guy of my age. :eek:

I think the negativity is not an issue of only BAexpat. I have been an Expat in seven countries and as such I have been to too many Expat sites and always the prevalent mood is negative. Bitching about the host country, the locals, and their political leaders is a favorite past time among expats, the same with the stories telling people that the grass is much greener everywhere else. Probably, people only speak up when they have something to complain about.
My two cents: I was once a very happy expat in the US with a very modest monthly income and a very unhappy expat in Dubai where my salary was ten times larger. Yes, the money is important, specially if you have family and you are looking for stability and a long term project but if you are young, flexible, looking to expand your horizons or just getting laid... do give it a try (don't forget to bring a return ticket. you can still get condoms in Argentina)
Don't be afraid... make mistakes!

nicoenarg said:
US$5000 a year? Are you serious? We don't pay rent here and we cook at home A LOT and we spend way more than $5000 US dollars a year. At the official rate (4.5), $5000 will get you 1875 pesos a month. I am not sure what kind of shared accomodation you have in mind but I find it hard to believe one would be able to survive on that for a year if they wanted to enjoy Buenos Aires and, to use your words, live a different life-style while here. At the unofficial rate, its a little more bearable (at 6), you get about 2500 pesos. Still that would be difficult to live on.

I did not write that he could live on only $5000/year. Jesus, everyone. It seems that as usual people barely skimmed over the OP's post in their rush to spout their great wisdom. HE WANTS TO WORK, TOO. If he works his ass off doing whatever low paying en negro job he can find, and lives very cheaply cheaply, he can stretch that $5000 for a bit of time. He won't really be able to travel, though. That part I did forget to mention.

I was making less than 3000 pesos a month all of 2011, and I managed it. It SUCKED, but I survived. Yes, I was paying rent--a great room with a double bed in an apartment in a nice part of San Telmo for 1280 pesos with two roommates. And air conditioning. I know for a fact they are renting it for the same price, and not in dollars. Yes, I know everything is more expensive now. Get off of Craigslist and get out of Palermo if you have little money. By that year I wasn't using my savings anymore. OP has savings.

My point was that if he wants to come screw around and blow through his cash IN ADDITION TO WORKING A LOT, then great, he can last six months and have fun if he does not mind spending everything. He has no desire to live here permanently. Had he said that I would have kept my mouth shut because I think that is a horrible idea if you're not somewhat wealthy with funds in the bank to bail yourself out. If he is not dead set on Buenos Aires, he could go elsewhere with the money he has, work, and last longer. The end.

The return ticket is a very sensible idea.
You give yourself a fixed time, say nine months or whatever and you can always come back.

No your not nuts at all , your young , you have a little money in your back burner,carefree attitude ! It's not like your moving to live.iv been going to Argentina for years ,and sure it's nowhere near as cheap than the good old days , but still I recommend u go , just get reasonable lodgings and go have fun , the lady's are beautiful ,nice weather in the summer ,great football ,pubs and clubs !go between the months of December to April if u like hot weather ,why don't u split it in to couple of months in rio then a couple of months in buenos aires ! You can't go have a blast! If I where u I'd keep saving till December go for their summer months do some serious damage !!!! Do it ,trust me

Back