Am I a little nuts to choose BA? Help.

fifs2 said:
All fair points StarLucia but honestly can you see a short term visitor needing cable or health insurance so that wipes two expenses of the list. I saw on another post someone posted laundry costs and I can tell from my eldest son's experience here he spent less than 0 on laundry and not because I did it for him because that again isnt even on his radar of important expenses...In reading all these posts I realise how much age makes you need things that just werent important in your twenties..oh to ber that young and care-a-damn again...!

AtlasMemory said he wants to move to another country to live, not be a short term visitor. Unless he does his own laundry he will have to pay someone to do it for him. I doubt he will find a girlfriend (or her mother) to do it for him, either. His chance of finding an Argentine girlfriend are minimal to begin with (compared to other Latin American countries) and if wearing clean clothes isn't on his radar, his chances of getting a job or finding a girlfriend are likely to plument to less than zero.

When I arrive in BA in 2006 the cost of having something dry cleaned at "5 a Sec" was five pesos (how appropriate!). How much is it today?

AtlasMemory said he would be willing to work in a hostel, but jobs in hostels are not under the radar of AFIP. I met a lovely young woman at one of the expat lunches I sponsored who found a job in a hostel, but lost it because she couldn't get a work visa and the hostel was not able to help her get one. And Atlas Memory is no longer in his 20's. At 30 he may already be too old for an an entry level job of any kind.

The cost per person of the (all you can eat) expat lunches I sponsored in 2008-2010 was 35 pesos or less (plus drink for an average of 8 pesos). Now the cost would be at least 70 pesos (plus drink). Even at the lower prices I know the lunches were too expensive for some expats (a few actually asked me in PM's if they could attend without eating). The attendance at the earlier gatherings was almost twice as great as the last, primarily due to increasing costs.

And, being a member of the "moral elite" (thank you, TrevorCito) I am compelled to ask why anyone thinks it's OK for anyone to "move" to another country and ignore any of its laws?

flowerpower said:
Buenos Aires is so European as any city in Europe. I know the best of Europe and BA is very similar to those. The old continent also was built between the 50's and 80's. If you walk through London you will find construction of modern times and I am not referring to the new towers that try to imitate a pice of usa.
The idea that it is only valuable the built until 40's and the rest is just garbage, would do to many major cities lose their value.
Buenos Aires may have unfavorable aspects compared to some European cities, but at the same time also has advantages, for example in Europe is difficult to find a city with the dynamism of Buenos Aires. The layout of the city is neat as in New York, but in Europe the layouts are a mess and make you always spinning in the same place.
Buenos Aires is a beautiful and stylish. It is ridiculous the idea of looking for Paris in Buenos Aires (as you once said on here or something similar) because although they look alike, each is unique.

BA isn't even a cheap copy of any European city.

It is a pseudo-European shit hole.

(Yes, I've said this in other threads).

The "layout" of Paris is vastly superior to that of Buenos Aires thanks to Haussman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haussmann%27s_renovation_of_Paris

I moved here back in February, 23 years old, no knowledge of Spanish at all. I'm still here, and loving it.

There is a lot of negativity, and I am sure it is based on reality. I don't know if it's luck, but I haven't encountered that reality (yet).

There's in my opinion a few things you need to consider before moving here:

- It's a 3rd world country with 1st world prices. Don't expect your salary to provide an equivalent amount of products that it would in another country. I suggest you bring all the clothes, electronics, etc you will need for the entire period you plan to be here, and that you're prepared to spend your savings.

- The standard of luxury here is a lot lower. Due to the high prices for pretty much everything (A fridge, for example, costs 50% of a monthly salary here, versus like 20% in Europe), the average BsAs apartment is generally outdated. The idea is, don't replace anything until it's absolutely broken. If the kitchen is 50 years old, but still works, they will keep it. If it breaks, they will try all possible options (from ductape, having the doorman look at it to sending a cheap repairman) before even considering replacing it).

- Be prepared to have your patience tested, ALOT. After living here for a few months, I can't make any other conclusion than that people here don't really do long term planning (but to be fair, with this inflation, they really can't). Most things are decided day by day, month by month. Because nothing is prepared, thought of, everything takes a hell of a lot longer than everywhere else.

If you are able to deal with the above 3 things, Buenos Aires is, in my opinion, an amazing place to live. I often call it "urban camping". The less picky you are, the better life is here.

Local brands of food, for example, are not any worse. They're just different. Finding foreign brands of foods is not only expensive, it also costs a lot of effort. Many people have gotten used to things like organic food being readily available at supermarkets. Here, you will have to go out of your way to find it. If you expect to eat like at home, you will be dissapointed once you arrive. If you are prepared to eat like they do here, if you are not picky about your food, you'll love it.

And the same goes for everything else. It is a 3rd world country. It is a completely different culture, and the people have a completely different mentality. Once you're willing to let go of your norms regarding standard of life, and are willing to adapt to the local norms, you'll have the time of your life, like I am.

Since the OP has not replied to any of our posts perhaps we've been sucked in again. :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, it was fun (at least from me) to see fifs2 make absurd comments. :D

steveinbsas said:
BA isn't even a cheap copy of any European city.

It is a pseudo-European shit hole.

(Yes, I've said this in other threads).

The "layout" of Paris is vastly superior to that of Buenos Aires thanks to Haussman:

Buenos Aires did not copy anyone!, that was the bigger blunde I've heard. BA It is a European-style city by 90% and also with his own style, even if it hurts you!. I think the reality speaks for itself, because all the opinions I've heard from foreigners friends or people giving their opinions in touristic forums says that Buenos Aires is highly European in style and with South American features as well. And the opinion of the vast majority will always be worth more than the rest. I just think you love European architecture and your hatred comes from the total lack of European style has usa.

Buenos Aires was designed by European immigrants. First Spanish, then Italian, some German, and the last bunch of quality buildings were built by French architects. That is why to this day there are french words used when referring to certain things in buildings such as placard, palier, sommier, and a few others. IMHO Buenos Aires has a good amount of French-stlye architecture, but most of those buildings lack the grandeur of the buildings in Paris. I think Buenos Aires looks more like Madrid than Paris. The 1920s buildings in Paris have higher ceilings, much more detailed and artistic plasterwork and mouldings, and nicer layouts than their counterparts in Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires French-style architecture is nice to look at and some of it downright impressive, however it's highly inferior to most of what was built in Paris during the same period.

Well I should say that paris its over the head of all european citys without exceptions, and his buildigns are greater than the rest of europe and not only than Buenos Aires.
But despite all this, I've talked with a couple of french friends, and both toldme the same thing: "that paris is maby the main turistic point, but not the main point for live". Then I keep my mind thinking about that, and asking my self what that meant??, anybody can tellme?

Mark2012 said:
Well I should say that paris its over the head of all european citys without exceptions, and his buildigns are greater than the rest of europe and not only than Buenos Aires.
But despite all this, I've talked with a couple of french friends, and both toldme the same thing: "that paris is maby the main turistic point, but not the main point for live". Then I keep my mind thinking about that, and asking my self what that meant??, anybody can tellme?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but it sounds like your friends are French but not Parisian. Paris is THE "main point for life." I lived there before Buenos Aires and plan to return in the next few years.

I wouldn't say it's "over the head" of all European cities, though. There are other great cities, both large and small. It just depends on what you like. But for me personally, Paris is the best city in the world.

Other than a few buildings, there aren't many similarities between Buenos Aires and Paris, IMHO. When people referred to BsAs as the Paris of South America, they were referring to the Buenos Aires of 80 years ago, not the city we live in today.

This isn't a slam on BsAs, per se. Just saying that there isn't much comparison today. There are many things I like about Buenos Aires and I miss it when I am not here.

Getting back on topic (though the OP seems to have disappeared) I wouldn't come here now if I were wanting to spend time in another country/culture and trying to find work to supplement my savings to prolong the journey. It's a great place, but I think the next 6-12 are going to be difficult.

I often call it "urban camping".

Am officially adopting this description as my own..love it!!!!!

Mark2012 said:

Dude, get a life and stop posting with multiple freakin' usernames. What "flowerpower" didn't suit your idiotic ideas anymore?

Its pretty clear you're writing it. I mean you can't really disguise your identity with the level of English you've got.

I've had enough of your idiocy. You and your clones are all going on the ignore list.

Back