Am I a little nuts to choose BA? Help.

As for people on here saying crap like, "Oh don't be negative." "Oh you're just being negative!" "Oh ignore the negative people, they don't take a whiff of roses that just received fresh doses of dog sh*t and piss!":

This is a public forum, isn't it? The people coming on here asking for advice (whether sincerely or not) should, in all fairness, get to see both sides of the coin. In Buenos Aires those two sides are polar opposites!

Where you have good experiences, you also have the bad. For those of us who are living here on a permanent basis, regardless of our age and how stupid or intelligent we might be, our negative experiences in Buenos Aires outweigh the positive ones at times. Dealing with government regulations, paperwork, services, people, etc etc. For us, there is no immediate way out and that turns in to frustrations.

The OP's post sounded like he wanted to spend quite a bit of time here, not just 2 weeks. He would most probably have to deal with a whole lotta problems that we deal with. There are a billion posts only on how to get a fair rate for the dollars for some. That is something people outside don't understand. I didn't understand all these currency and controls before I got here. Wish I had known it before.

Everyone knows how they can enjoy on their own as a tourist. And if they don't, they have freakin' tourist guides written for this purpose. But when was the last time you saw a book at a bookstore that said "How to deal with Argentine bullshit!"?

There was another dude on one of these threads who asked how to go about getting a DNI or something. And when told the truth about how much of a pain in the @$$ that process is, he goes "guys, try to be positive!" If people just wanna hear "sweet-nothings" softly spoken to them in their right freakin ear, I suggest they go to their significant others, or ask their freakin parents to spoil them.

This forum, being a public one, will have opinions from both sides. Positive and negative. And that's how it should be so stop complaining about how negative some are. Fact of the matter is, there is a lot to be negative about. That's the reality of it. Not so much, compared to before, to be positive about!!!

I do reckon laundry costs are going to be (kind of) relevant, given his plan is to be here for a while. Good luck picking up a decent Argy girl (of which are usually very pedantic about hygiene and cleanliness) in a dirty outfit! Unless he finds a decent laundry he might also be outlaying some more $ to replace clothes which have shrunk, changed colour etc.

As for cable I thought many of the furnished apartments already have cable, thus it would be included in their rent $?

steveinbsas said:
. His chance of finding an Argentine girlfriend are minimal to begin with (compared to other Latin American countries) and if wearing clean clothes isn't on his radar, his chances of getting a job or finding a girlfriend are likely to plument to less than zero.

That statement is bizarre.
He has as much chance of finding a girlfriend here as anywhere else.
Or even a boyfriend for that matter.
Poor bloke has probably cancelled his air reservation by now.

nicoenarg said:
As for people on here saying crap like, "Oh don't be negative." "Oh you're just being negative!" "Oh ignore the negative people, they don't take a whiff of roses that just received fresh doses of dog sh*t and piss!":

This is a public forum, isn't it? The people coming on here asking for advice (whether sincerely or not) should, in all fairness, get to see both sides of the coin. In Buenos Aires those two sides are polar opposites!

Where you have good experiences, you also have the bad. For those of us who are living here on a permanent basis, regardless of our age and how stupid or intelligent we might be, our negative experiences in Buenos Aires outweigh the positive ones at times. Dealing with government regulations, paperwork, services, people, etc etc. For us, there is no immediate way out and that turns in to frustrations.

The OP's post sounded like he wanted to spend quite a bit of time here, not just 2 weeks. He would most probably have to deal with a whole lotta problems that we deal with. There are a billion posts only on how to get a fair rate for the dollars for some. That is something people outside don't understand. I didn't understand all these currency and controls before I got here. Wish I had known it before.

Everyone knows how they can enjoy on their own as a tourist. And if they don't, they have freakin' tourist guides written for this purpose. But when was the last time you saw a book at a bookstore that said "How to deal with Argentine bullshit!"?

There was another dude on one of these threads who asked how to go about getting a DNI or something. And when told the truth about how much of a pain in the @$$ that process is, he goes "guys, try to be positive!" If people just wanna hear "sweet-nothings" softly spoken to them in their right freakin ear, I suggest they go to their significant others, or ask their freakin parents to spoil them.

This forum, being a public one, will have opinions from both sides. Positive and negative. And that's how it should be so stop complaining about how negative some are. Fact of the matter is, there is a lot to be negative about. That's the reality of it. Not so much, compared to before, to be positive about!!!

Brother you need to run, don't walk, to the nearest horse tranquilizer station and get your overdue dose.

I've gone from using this forum for a fact finding to reading it purely for entertainment purposes. It's really not a useful tool for research. Read the papers, if you can talk to some locals. I really would recommend not making major decisions based on what anonymous posters on the internet tell you!

nicoenarg said:
Dude, get a life and stop posting with multiple freakin' usernames. What "flowerpower" didn't suit your idiotic ideas anymore?

Its pretty clear you're writing it. I mean you can't really disguise your identity with the level of English you've got.

I've had enough of your idiocy. You and your clones are all going on the ignore list.

Ohh god help!!... nico will gonna ignore me :eek:, what can I do ??. Haha.. you should know that as you said, this is a free forum, and I can have as many counts as I want. My posts and my english are taked by the most people in a objectively and mature way here, and they replys to me if it nessesary like to anyone else. But it is obious that you cant do the same than the rest, and allwise take my messages as a offensive way wich clearly it affects you!, and it makes you allwise try to offence me. So, let me tell you that the real idiot here its you!. My advice is to go back to your latin country, and dedicate yourself to do telenovelas.

Lets see if you can at least accomplish your desicion to ignore me. ;)

Mark2012 said:
Ohh god help!!... nico will gonna ignore me :eek:, what can I do ??. Haha.. you should know that as you said, this is a free forum, and I can have as many counts as I want. My posts and my english are taked by the most people in a objectively and mature way here, and they replys to me if it nessesary like to anyone else. But it is obious that you cant do the same than the rest, and allwise take my messages as a offensive way wich clearly it affects you!, and it makes you allwise try to offence me. So, let me tell you that the real idiot here its you!. My advice is to go back to your latin country, and dedicate yourself to do telenovelas.

Lets see if you can at least accomplish your desicion to ignore me. ;)
actually most forums when you accept the create user account form state you may not have multiple accounts and that if you do it give the admin the right to block your ip..granted thee are ways around it but that just makes what you do clearly attempting to evade the spirit of what the forum is about..but from your so many posts these comments will also fall on your blind eyes

KevinK said:
actually most forums when you accept the create user account form state you may not have multiple accounts and that if you do it give the admin the right to block your ip..granted thee are ways around it but that just makes what you do clearly attempting to evade the spirit of what the forum is about..but from your so many posts these comments will also fall on your blind eyes

Well it is just point of view matter. Those wich were disagree with me and the others who share my opinion, are the ones wich are blind here for me. So... who got the right ?.

Dublin2BuenosAires said:
I've gone from using this forum for a fact finding to reading it purely for entertainment purposes. It's really not a useful tool for research. Read the papers, if you can talk to some locals. I really would recommend not making major decisions based on what anonymous posters on the internet tell you!

While I hope some of my posts are entertaining (yes, I think I'm funny), I have learned a great deal here, especially about applying for avisa and getting the DNI as well as Argentine Citizenship for Foreigners. I hope I've contributed useful information on a number of subjects. I also love dealing with misconceptions of newcomers and calling out the phony "wannabee" expats.

Asking a local or reading the papers won't provide much useful information about many topics that are important to expats. Why would an average local (used most often here to denote a native Argentine) know about the requirements for citizenship, banking, getting a visa and DNI, or renting a short term apartment, paying the overstay fee, etc? The major exceptions are the Argetine lawyers who are members here and post on these subjects as well as Argentines who are married to expats, especially Nikad. Most of us have received a lot of useful information from active and veteran expat members, many who are anonymous, but not all.

I do have one recommendation based on the above post: Don't make any decisions base on what (most) newcomers tell you, especially of they are only here for a laugh and haven't discovered or use the search feature. It's an excellent tool for research and most information posted in error usually gets corrected quickly.

Back