Am I a little nuts to choose BA? Help.

Guess I'll add my $0.02.
Haven't been here at the forum long, and yes, there is some additional negative somewhat beyond standard negatives and some can get sort of snappy, but so far I am happy for the community. If anything, it just helps to have others around in cyberland, comforting that you're not going it alone.
Already though I found some places for half-way ok yogurt, a place for barber stuff and learned some more about the currency aspects. Wish though that there were more expat events going on. I'm not the type to do the planning side, so I look to others.

About the city. Have lived here before. Also have lived in much worse locations of the world, so for me personally, sure some things are frustrating, and I sometimes think back to other places where I lived better (although also too with their negatives), but for now, it's fine enough and I'm trying to focus more on the positives and less on the negatives. Not ignoring them though.
I do have to add, I am not planning for a lifelong stay or even some years. Instead, places like the US, Canada, Europe and Australia are more to my longterm, lifelong plans.
I came here again thinking it would be affordable living in nice enough conditions. Despite reading recent news before coming, I still didn't think it would be that costly, but as we know, it's certainly not like times before. I was still sort of unrealistically stuck in some prices of before, only adjusting slightly but not enough I guess.
Still trying to feel out if I'll be able to afford it or not. Financial is the larger part for me. I can handle the chaos, uncertainties, spurts of crime, etc for the time being.
Possibly costs will go down. Possibly there are more affordable areas of Argentina that are not out in the sticks. Otherwise, it'll have to be another country.

To the OP, sometimes you really have to have boots on the ground for a place. Having lived in several countries, I can attest to this. 2 main reasons. There is a feel to anyplace of the world that is impossible to send through cyberspace or hear from others. You really need to feel it for yourself and see if it resonates with you or not.
For example, it's been beaten to death at the forum and elsewhere about BA's Europe aspect, or not. IMHO, it's not just about the appearance of things such as buildings, cafes, restaurants, etc., a place has a feel to it. There's a particular feel for various countries in Europe that just can't be felt elsewhere.
As well, for some Europe can feel congested, while BA ironically despite huge numbers, can have a space-feel to it. The list can go on and on. The point is, you need to feel a place for yourself. Sure, get the logistical info online, but you really need to test the waters of a place.
Never fully commit to a place from getgo (i.e. moving all of your stuff there, leaving a good job, etc). Always trial run IMHO.

Go online, book a month apartment and a one night hotel stay upon arrival. Have a backup plan to try a nearby country or another area of Argentina if BA doesn't work for you.

As for finding work, IMHO, it's not as easy for expats as it is in say southeast Asia or Mexico, teaching english for example. You are risking quite a bit banking on finding a job here getting decent enough pay.

To conclude, IMHO, we all have our own paths. Maybe BA is totally not in your path and to force it could be a mistake. Take time to sit alone and listen.
As some others have said, if I had listen to people say don't go there or there or else you'll get killed or robbed or sick or stuck, etc., I would have missed out on many special experiences. You really just need to listen to the voice (the good one!).

Best to you either way.

Though medical services may be provided at public hospitals without charge to nationals and foreigners, it doesn't mean those services are free. Doctors, nurses, and medical expenses have to be paid by someone, in this case largely the Argentine and, to a lesser extent, the foreign taxpayer.

Also regarding the free medical care - if you happen to get injured and require prosthetics, medications, etc, those are not covered by the free medical insurance for everyone whose feet are on Argentine soil. If I were you I would get some type of basic coverage if you are going to be here a while. There are many low cost plans available and (Accord Salud is one of them) and they cover a lot of things that you wouldn't think of.

flowerpower said:
Buenos Aires is so European as any city in Europe. I know the best of Europe and BA is very similar to those. The old continent also was built between the 50's and 80's. If you walk through London you will find construction of modern times and I am not referring to the new towers that try to imitate a pice of usa.
The idea that it is only valuable the built until 40's and the rest is just garbage, would do to many major cities lose their value.
Buenos Aires may have unfavorable aspects compared to some European cities, but at the same time also has advantages, for example in Europe is difficult to find a city with the dynamism of Buenos Aires. The layout of the city is neat as in New York, but in Europe the layouts are a mess and make you always spinning in the same place.
Buenos Aires is a beautiful and stylish. It is ridiculous the idea of looking for Paris in Buenos Aires (as you once said on here or something similar) because although they look alike, each is unique.

Clearly written by a Porteño. Take with many grains of salt!

There's nothing inherently wrong with "locals" posting in an expat forum.

But it's only helpful when they actually have something constructive (i.e. intelligent) to say.

Mark2012 said:
Buenos Aires did not copy anyone!, that was the bigger blunde I've heard. BA It is a European-style city by 90% and also with his own style, even if it hurts you!. I think the reality speaks for itself, because all the opinions I've heard from foreigners friends or people giving their opinions in touristic forums says that Buenos Aires is highly European in style and with South American features as well. And the opinion of the vast majority will always be worth more than the rest. I just think you love European architecture and your hatred comes from the total lack of European style has usa.

Buenos Aires - Recoleta, at least - looks more "European" than most Latin American countries but beneath the surface it is far from "European". Anyway WHAT is European today? Countries like the UK and France have HUGE Muslim and Black populations. Is that "European" ? The definition of European has changed but to Porteños all Englishmen carry umbrellas and wear bowlers. it's a very antiquated picture of Europe.

As for the US, the historic parts of cities like Boston and Philadelphia are a lot more "European" in the traditonal sense than most of BA.

My advice: Go somewhere else. If you want a "European" atmosphere, try Europe. Maybe Prague or some part of eastern Europe that is not much more expensive than BA - maybe the same or cheaper. Or try countries of Latin America that don't have a hangup about being "European".

Back