Am I breaking the rules if I am not there yet?? I need some help!

RobeartoNYC

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I am moving to BA soon, and could use some good advice. Can anyone help?

I live in New York, just looking to make a change, BA seems the best option.

Where should I live?
What should I bring that I can't get there?
I need to be able to conduct business as if I am still sitting in Manhattan,
what is the best technology to make sure my internet and phone service works?
IF BA sits right on the ocean, why are there no beaches?
How far are the beaches?
Should I trust these apartment finder firms, or just wait till I get there?
Can you find American sports on TV there? NFL, NBA, Baseball, etc...?
Is there a "Little America" in BA, like there is Chinatown or Little Italy in NYC?
I'm coming alone, I don't know anyone, and I don't speak spanish...
Am I crazy?
What else should I know?

Thank you for any help that you can give, and once I get there, I would love to make some new friends, so let me know if anyone is interested.

Best,

Robert

RobeartoNYC said:
Where should I live?
Should I trust these apartment finder firms, or just wait till I get there?

My advice for a first-timer who is making income from the US would be to use an aprtment finder, find a decent apartment in Recoleta (Barrio Norte is often delineated and is a sub-zone of Recoleta that is upscale) because it's sort of central to where a lot of things happen. Rent for a month or two (you will hve to pay in advance on arrival). Get the lay of the land, meet some people, figure out what's going on, if you want to stay, etc.

I used to use http://www.bytargentina.com/ for finding apartments. They're reliable and I've always had good experiences with them.

You want to try to get an apartment on a street that has no bus traffic, that's not on or near the corner of a busy street, and usually the higher the better to keep noise out.

RobeartoNYC said:
What should I bring that I can't get there?

Electronics. Anything you need to work you should bring with you. You will pay roughly twice the cost for those kinds of things here.

If you like your deoderant, bring as many as you think you can fit. I think the deoderant that I can find here for the most part is horrible.

RobeartoNYC said:
I need to be able to conduct business as if I am still sitting in Manhattan,
what is the best technology to make sure my internet and phone service works?

Well, it depends on what you do in Manhattan. If you are going to be transferring large amounts of data back and forth, you will not find anything that will come close to matching what you're used to in the States for internet speeds. Plus, many times the speed to the States from here is slow.

Make sure when you rent an apartment that it comes with internet. The ADSL here is about as good as the cable, so it won't matter which.

Whatever happens, expect at least occasional problems with your internet.

RobeartoNYC said:
IF BA sits right on the ocean, why are there no beaches?
How far are the beaches?

Well, it sits right on a huge bay, not exactly the ocean. Down to the south not too far (few hours's drive I think) are beaches, but I've not heard that they are particularly great. There is some beacj action though

RobeartoNYC said:
Can you find American sports on TV there? NFL, NBA, Baseball, etc...?

DirectTV is available here. I don't know how much luck you will have getting a temporary apartment with DTV though. Not much locally with on TV for US sports. There are bars here and there that will have it though. One place in particular, El Alamo, I know is run by a couple of ex-pats and they have sports from the US showing usually.

RobeartoNYC said:
Is there a "Little America" in BA, like there is Chinatown or Little Italy in NYC?

No. But there are enough ex-pats here of all varieties that you can make friends and ease into life here.

RobeartoNYC said:
I'm coming alone, I don't know anyone, and I don't speak spanish...
Am I crazy?

That's how most of arrived here. Craziness is relative and I don't think you'd be alone with your particular kind of craziness ;)

RobeartoNYC said:
What else should I know?

Too much to know without living here and understanding it. Beautiful women, many nice people, many rude people. Sometimes hard to get things done. You just have to understand that living as an ex-pat anywhere has its challenges for everyone, and the only way you'll know if it's for you is to try it.

RobeartoNYC said:
Thank you for any help that you can give, and once I get there, I would love to make some new friends, so let me know if anyone is interested.

Seem to be a bucnh of friendly people here on this forum. I've only recently joined (though I've lived here for three years) and haven't met anyone yet, but that will change I'm sure.

You'll not have any problems on that front, I think.

Back