Am I paranoid?

VictorianR said:
Hi ! Long story - Last year I was in Buenos Aires for three months, it was great. Then one day I met a woman who told me her father just died, his apartment was empty and did I want to rent it while they figured if they were going to sell it, and I agreed.

It was a nightmare, she visited everyday to check on the ap, she knew everyone in the building who reported on anyone I had over, then she would interrogate me about them and get really aggressive. I started to think she was sick, and since I had some friends going to Brasil, after 3 weeks I just left.

I figured she would be the happiest person in the world, since I had paid for a month + 1 month deposit, but then I get this email about how I had broken a '6 month agreement' and I owed her 4 months, and there was things missing from the apartment!! She advised me to call her so we could arrange the payment of the money I owed her, or she was going to the police.

I was in brasil so I just laughed and ignored it, then a few days later another email about how she had reported me to the police and I would be caught.

So anyway, 1 year later I have the chance go back and work in Buenos Aires.. do you think I have anything to worry about ? In my paranoid nightmare I would give my passport over at the airport, my name would come up flashing on the screen and the police would swoop and send me to a porteño prison..

I don´t think that you have anything to worry about .

She is just trying to squeeze you for the extra cash like most Argies will whenever given the slightest opportunity !

She would need an attorney , although there are plenty of those to go around here !

Also , breaking a lease is NOT a penal crime so who cares ?

I should know ! I am in a small battle for a long lease as we speak .

It takes YEARS !

Mine is for about $115,000.00 pesos and I imagine that your´s is for a little less !

Do not give it a second thought........forward her garbage to me and I will give her what she deserves !

I have lived here for about ( 5 ) years , I am a Texan and I am bi-lingual .

( I SAID BI-LINGUAL ! )

FH !

Now , let´s have a good time while we are here in BA !

Take Care ,

Tejano Libre

vero8385 said:
There is no 6 months legal rent (...)

There is certainly 6 months legal rent in Argentina. Do not be confused about this. 2 year contracts are only for a permanent housing. Contracts for tourism may be for up to 6 months.

If she did file a police report for the missing items, chances are the case is closed already for lack of evidence. In any case, you wont be arrested at the airport (in a worst case scenario you would be formally notified of the case).

I agree with the previous suggestions of not contacting her and not letting her know you're coming back to BA. As for the lease, you may check at the "Camara Nacional de Apelaciones en lo Civil" (Lavalle 1220, 1st floor) if there are any civil cases against you (it has to be requested in writing and i'm not sure if you need a lawyer to sign the request).

Contact me in pm if you have any difficulty with that.

I had a very good guide the first time I came to BsAs, but the second time I came it went a bit sour. As I was not going to use her again she sent me a bill, said she would collect when I was here. Like you I was worried, not knowing how the legal system worked, but I ignored it anyway.
Five years later, and about eight visits (I think) I have heard nothing. It is simply a matter of out bluffing them.
And remember there are more good people out there than bad, we just make more noise about the bad ones.:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MorganF Expat Life 69
Back