Am I the only person in Argentina that finds the term "chinito" offensive?

Out of curiosity:
Would you find it offensive is a fellow Argentine called you Sudaca?
What if a Peruvian called you Sudaca?
It depends on the person, the tone of the conversation and the context.

If we look at it from psycho-linguistic (and as you mentioned, through historical and contextual filters), it is very clear why Argentines use these terms and how (and when, in which context) these terms evolved (and why are they still present today).
I invite you to look into it if you are really interested.
Hint: Not meaning harm or not knowing better are not the reasons.
What are your findings about the term "chinito" ?

What are your findings about the term "chinito" ?

I'd say that in the 21st century, there should be no place in intelligent casual conversation for "Chinitos", "Chilotas", "Sudacas", etc.

Also bare in mind that what is politically correct in one country, culture and time, might be absolutely irrelevant in a different place. I find it very frustrating when a person that does not understand the subtleties of the ( local ) Spanish language makes these assumptions. I would never even try to out a native English speaker in their own language, because as much as I can use it, it is not my language or culture, I ignore historical, political, social, environmental, linguistic and cultural facts. It takes decades of being immerse in a different culture to begin to understand some of its background.

I'd say that in the 21st century, there should be no place in intelligent casual conversation for "Chinitos", "Chilotas", "Sudacas", etc.
You seem to miss that fact that I refer to language and expressions and you talk about ideas or ideals. Sorry I think we speak different languages here when attempting to address the OPs question.

You seem to miss that fact that I refer to language and expressions and you talk about ideas or ideals. Sorry I think we speak different languages here when attempting to address the OPs question.

I read you very clearly and appreciate your input.
Language and expressions and very much tied to ideas (and feelings).

I read you very clearly and appreciate your input.
Language and expressions and very much tied to ideas (and feelings).
You seem to imply that people using these adjectives are racist or have negative feelings towards people from different origins. However I believe most of the word usage has to do with the idea of noticing how some people look different, speak different, etc. which is undeniable. And I don't think there is anything malicious or perverse, it is human nature.

The term "Chinito" is not only used for Asians. Argentine are not politically correct. As with any of these adjectives, they are not negative or racist per se, it depends on the context and the speaker. A person called American does not feel offended but others around them might act offended based on political views and not racist issues. Just like in the US an African American person would not feel offended when a best friend calls him N.

We will have to disagree on this one. Just because a derogatory term is not used with intentional/conscious negativity/racism, that doesn't steralise the term and make it acceptable and non harmfull.

Terms such as these paint entire 'races' / ethnicities with a certain brush. Making them seem 'different' and part of 'the other'.

I often hear Agentines say 'negro', 'negrito' 'chinito' etc, and it's always played off as a jovial/harmless, even 'cariñoso' turn of phrase.

This is an easy out and not really good enough.

The same analysis used to be used about calling women 'chicks' 'babe' 'girl' 'bitches' 'nena' etc.

The very dangeour of wide spread pejorative terms is that they fly under the radar and seem harmless, while at the same time butressing wider social/cultural/institutional inequalities.

That's my way of looking at it in any case.

Cheers!

Agreed! I always correct them, particularly if they are using offensive words in English, but also in Spanish. I was born to Lat Am parents and don't view 'difference' as an excuse to be casually racist. Pointing out people's supposed 'differences' is more about keeping alive the fantasy of white supremacy and euro superiority.

We will have to disagree on this one. Just because a derogatory term is not used with intentional/conscious negativity/racism, that doesn't steralise the term and make it acceptable and non harmfull.

Terms such as these paint entire 'races' / ethnicities with a certain brush. Making them seem 'different' and part of 'the other'.

I often hear Agentines say 'negro', 'negrito' 'chinito' etc, and it's always played off as a jovial/harmless, even 'cariñoso' turn of phrase.

This is an easy out and not really good enough.

The same analysis used to be used about calling women 'chicks' 'babe' 'girl' 'bitches' 'nena' etc.

The very dangeour of wide spread pejorative terms is that they fly under the radar and seem harmless, while at the same time butressing wider social/cultural/institutional inequalities.

That's my way of looking at it in any case.

Cheers!
Totally. It isn't unreasonable to expect the way we express ourselves to evolve and improve. It happens all the time.

Back