Am I the only person in Argentina that finds the term "chinito" offensive?

Of course not, but "sudaca" always has a negative derogatory connotation. Other terms do not, but we lump them all together, without considering the context, and say they are all racist terms.

So that we can understand you clearly, please give an example in what context does Chilota (as opposed to Chilean) have a positive connotation? How about Bolita (as opposed to Bolivian)? Peruca (as opposed to Peruvian)?

So that we can understand you clearly, please give an example in what context does Chilota (as opposed to Chilean) have a positive connotation? How about Bolita (as opposed to Bolivian)? Peruca (as opposed to Peruvian)?
When I said other terms, I was referring to ones like "negro/a" as a parent uses with a child here. When I read "negro de mierda" or just see the term "negro" used obviously as an affront in the online comments of newspapers here, that's a different story.

There is no doubt that people differ in appearances.

There is no doubt that we react to the perceived differences. We all have strong "automatic" preference for X (Chilota, Sudaca, Peruca) versus Y (non-Chilota, Non-Sudaca, non-Peruca). We are "tribal" in our nature and show clear preference to self (in-group) as opposed to non-self (out-group), and this has evolutionary value.

Quick judgment mechanisms such as prejudices and racism (not the practice of) are naturally occurring human reactions (to perceived difference).

The research shows us that we are all (to a different degree) racist and we cannot consciously control it.

The continued practice of prejudice and racism in a social context is unacceptable and worth suppressing in self and others.
I totally agree to this. I believe these language patterns are useful and help understand the degree or racism or lack thereof, hence we should let language evolve naturally. Any attempt to manipulate it would only mask society's true feelings. It works as a thermometer. Unfortunately in some places they censor words, etc trying to come out as anti racist yet all you see is a lot of it.

Some of this seems like political correctness run amok. It does not bother me at all to have the word "EXTRANJERO" on my DNI, because I am an foreigner here, even though that sort of label would never fly in places like the US; it would be considered racist.

Actually, the US Permanent Resident card (“green card”) explicitly said “RESIDENT ALIEN” until 1997.
That’s pretty much the exact same as “EXTRANJERO”.
Not sure what’s racist about it - it refers to legal status, not race.

Like in many other areas, Argentina is simply behind. That's not to say this nonsense does not still go on in other countires, btw.
It might be true that Argentina is behind on some issues, but in no way we try to hide it or censor it with fake political correctness. Changes should be much deeper than that. In the meantime language is showing you what stage society is at. There are countries that are very politically correct and do not use these words openly, yet the sentiment is exactly the same.

When I said other terms, I was referring to ones like "negro/a" as a parent uses with a child here. When I read "negro de mierda" or just see the term "negro" used obviously as an affront in the online comments of newspapers here, that's a different story.

The thread was originally about the pejorative term chinito. I'm curious whether you'd see that as a friendly/jovial descriptor of people?

There is of course a spectrum, and discussion on the social implications of using other terms is important.

I'd add that there is a reason why you often hear the term negro here as a descriptor, and never blanco or blanquito. We shouldn't be ahistorical in our analysis. We often forget the historical reasons behind the social structures of inequality

chinito, chinita

1. nombre femenino
COLOQUIAL DESPECTIVO•ARGENTINA
Persona joven de extracción social baja que carece de educación.
"este sacrificio en aras de una chinita a quien no creía hija suya"

2. Femenino de gaucho, (China: mujer de un gaucho).

When I was in Africa, I was called "white boy" all the time. That did not bother me and I had no problem saying back "black boy."

This is a false equivalent.

As a society, we can either move toward equality, fairness, and respect for all or we can choose not to. Choose being the operative word. You choose the words you use. You can use racist words or you can make the choice not to. This is a lesson most learn in childhood. It requires minimal effort. Racism isn't just in-your-face hate, it's often mundane. This mundanity makes it easier to keep oppression intact. Referring to people negatively by the differences you perceive keeps oppression intact. Passing along that language (and the racist beliefs BUILT into that language) to your children is people's seemingly benign way of keeping the world the way it is: vastly unfair and kind of a hot garbage fire.

Language matters. Pretending that it doesn't or that it's 'political correctness' versus the way that we literally communicate is nonsense. You know this, of course. We're all adults here. If you want to use racist words, go ahead. As we're seeing now, there may be consequences for it. As societies continue their crawl toward progression, it'll be harder and harder to play dumb.

If you're going to wear the MAGA hat (even if it's in a light shade of pink), wear the MAGA hat.

It might be true that Argentina is behind on some issues, but in no way we try to hide it or censor it with fake political correctness.

Are you saying that "Chilean" is a fake politically correct form of "Chilota", and therefore those who use it prefer to be real and not hide or censor the truth by continuing to use the term "Chilota"?

It might be true that Argentina is behind on some issues, but in no way we try to hide it or censor it with fake political correctness. Changes should be much deeper than that. In the meantime language is showing you what stage society is at. There are countries that are very politically correct and do not use these words openly, yet the sentiment is exactly the same.

No one has talked about censorship. This is a straw man argument which is often made in this debate.

What people are suggesting is raising public consciounce of the origins and negative societal implications of this type of language.

As has happened many times historically by the way. We can always improve ourselves and society if we are prepared to look at the data, research, and reality behind these issues.

Back