Am I the only person in Argentina that finds the term "chinito" offensive?

We will have to disagree on this one. Just because a derogatory term is not used with intentional/conscious negativity/racism, that doesn't steralise the term and make it acceptable and non harmfull.

Terms such as these paint entire 'races' / ethnicities with a certain brush. Making them seem 'different' and part of 'the other'.

I often hear Agentines say 'negro', 'negrito' 'chinito' etc, and it's always played off as a jovial/harmless, even 'cariñoso' turn of phrase.

This is an easy out and not really good enough.

The same analysis used to be used about calling women 'chicks' 'babe' 'girl' 'bitches' 'nena' etc.

The very dangeour of wide spread pejorative terms is that they fly under the radar and seem harmless, while at the same time butressing wider social/cultural/institutional inequalities.

That's my way of looking at it in any case.

Cheers!

That being said, it's a safe assumption that you would never refer to an Argentino as 'Argie'?

That being said, it's a safe assumption that you would never refer to an Argentino as 'Argie'?

Actually, I unfortunately fall into the trap of using pejorative language myself far too often. Not sure on that specific example, but I wouldn't put it past myself!

Unfortunately, knowing the right thing to do, and actively behaving in accordance with that knowledge at all times, is easier said than done.

We can but try, and at least be aware of the realities, despite inevitably falling short.

Cheers!

You seem to imply that people using these adjectives are racist or have negative feelings towards people from different origins. However I believe most of the word usage has to do with the idea of noticing how some people look different, speak different, etc. which is undeniable. And I don't think there is anything malicious or perverse, it is human nature.

There is no doubt that people differ in appearances.

There is no doubt that we react to the perceived differences. We all have strong "automatic" preference for X (Chilota, Sudaca, Peruca) versus Y (non-Chilota, Non-Sudaca, non-Peruca). We are "tribal" in our nature and show clear preference to self (in-group) as opposed to non-self (out-group), and this has evolutionary value.

Quick judgment mechanisms such as prejudices and racism (not the practice of) are naturally occurring human reactions (to perceived difference).

The research shows us that we are all (to a different degree) racist and we cannot consciously control it.

The continued practice of prejudice and racism in a social context is unacceptable and worth suppressing in self and others.

Actually, I unfortunately fall into the trap of using pejorative language myself far too often. Not sure on that specific example, but I wouldn't put it past myself!

Unfortunately, knowing the right thing to do, and actively behaving in accordance with that knowledge at all times, is easier said than done.

We can but try, and at least be aware of the realities, despite inevitably falling short.

Cheers!

I had to say it, because, as I've pointed out here more than once, many people would never think of using 'kraut', 'mick', 'dago', or 'spic', but don't think twice about 'argie'. It's true that much of usage is self-perception.

I think Nikad is sort of proving what we are all saying. Completely ignoring that these words cause hurt no matter in what context they are said. We know the black racial word that should not be uttered, and rightly so. But if I was to say it without intention of hurt, does that excuse it's use? Of course not, it's simply a poor argument and sounds like trying to get off lightly.

I call my Argentine family out on this crap all the time and they look at me as if I am stupid. Actually, they look at me like Nikad's words are reading to me. That I am a foreigner and simply don't understand that these dicriminatory words are part of the culture, so it's ok.

Like in many other areas, Argentina is simply behind. That's not to say this nonsense does not still go on in other countires, btw.

Some of this seems like political correctness run amok. It does not bother me at all to have the word "EXTRANJERO" on my DNI, because I am an foreigner here, even though that sort of label would never fly in places like the US; it would be considered racist. It also doesn't bother me when I hear parents call their kids "negro/a" because I don't perceive that to be subtly racists, passively about white or European superiority.
Where does it all stop? Now you can't write about or wear clothes from any culture than your own. Really? When I read something, I am looking for, among other things, the truth about myself. Given that we all have blind spots, couldn't it be that someone from a culture other than mine sees things about me that I or others in my group can't see?

When I was in Africa, I was called "white boy" all the time. That did not bother me and I had no problem saying back "black boy."

When I was in Africa, I was called "white boy" all the time. That did not bother me and I had no problem saying back "black boy."

I doubt a person from Peru would mind being called Peruvian by a non-Peruvian.

Do you know a South American who would not be bothered to be called Sudaca by a Spaniard?

I doubt a person from Peru would mind being called Peruvian by a non-Peruvian.

Do you know a South American who would not be bothered to be called Sudaca by a Spaniard?
Of course not, but "sudaca" always has a negative derogatory connotation. Other terms do not, but we lump them all together, without considering the context, and say they are all racist terms.

Back