Am I the only person in Argentina that finds the term "chinito" offensive?

Yes, I agree, there's discrimination in Argentina. We hope it will end with time.
Of course there is. Worldwide. But in context, we must get off these high horses before fixing Argentina.

I am very happy to engage and have a conversation with you.

I'd like to repost for you what was said earlier in regards to whataboutism as I think it goes to the way in which you made substantive point in your all caps posting.

Almost certainly unintentionally, you are in a sense 'missing the point'. Its not that the things you talk about are factually incorrect. Rather that they don't mean there is no problem with the word chinito, negrito , etc, here in Argentina.

Please let me know what you think, i've actually had this conversation with about 10-15 Argentine people in their 70-90's as it's a very common way of looking at things. I'd say that about 30% ended up re evaluating the use of these words after detailed and patient conversation. The others we ended up agreeing to disagree.

Sincerely.

whataboutism:

by the way, I'm a 71 year old "she"(feminine)

Why do they refer to every Asian person here as "chinito" regardless of where they come from? That'd be like Americans calling anyone in Latin America "Mexican."

I wonder. In Peru they call Fujimori "el chino" even though everybody knows his family is from Japan, and he was the President.

In context Argentines liberally use upper case all the time. Besides he/she explained might have vision problems. Yet was viciously attacked. Still being attacked now even after knowing the context of his/her circumstance. Out of context, like the rest of the 20 pages, claiming he/she shouting, The poor soul is almost pleading! As if he is the offensive one.
But hey, only you have the monopoly on context.

You can´t help yourself.

Can an arrogant preach any good? Even if it is good.

And again, nothing substantive, just throwing mud. Enjoying yourself I hope?

Of course there is. Worldwide. But in context, we must get off these high horses before fixing Argentina.

God forbid we walk and chew gum at the same time.

Your arguments are as weak as your attempts at spin and ad hominem.

As has been said so many times already, but let me try again. It is the fact that certain members of society perpetuate and make excuses for these pejorative terms that they are problematic. They create social divides, and are loaded with a whole set of cultural value judgments. Just because individuals who use them are not being intentionally malicious, that doesn't take away from the harm.

Words like 'bitch' have many times been excused like this Nikad, defended as a value neutral culturally relative term. I.e. In particular sub culture x, the term is used as a term of endearment. The term has also been more widely applied as an insult of course. The same with terms like 'gay' and to a lesser degree 'faggot'. The N word also has clearly been defended in this way as alluded to by another forum poster earlier in this thread. To this day it's used and laughed about in some places in southern USA, just harmless fun they'd say.

So you are right. I am intolerant, of intolerance. Specially when it's aimed at minority communities who suffer tangible harm from the societal fallout. I think, as I have stated many times, that we shouldn't just say stuff like "pobre abuelita, dice negrita porque siempre se decia asi, no lo dice para discriminar!" We need to talk about the realities and trust that even abuelita can learn to be better and re evaluate mistaken longstanding uses of vocab.

I agree with you that censorship is not a good solution, I never said it was. Only one forum member did, and when challenged on providing more specifics on what exactly they meant, and what research they were referring to, didn't write back.

As a sidenote on your evident nationalism; I called you out as you (along with a few other members) had started making the argument that I, and others, couldn't talk about the Argentine use of the word chinito, as we were foreigners who didn't understand. We all apparently come from countries who are far more racist and worse (*see whataboutism), and that it was our cultural imperialism that was really the issue here.

That is a classic Nationalist move, it's textbook. I'd go as far as saying that to think about the world that way you'd have to be very nationalistic. So you should at least own it. You put it out there, its your belief, don't now feign ignorance.

Again this is a very lame excuse to try to guess other people's beliefs and lifestyle. I talk about societies and cultures and that equals nationalism to you? Thank God I did not comment on anything related to religion to be regarded as antisemitic or similar. You generalizations and guesses are nonsense and don't add anything to the original topic.

Here we go....
Please, someone, help! Bring out the diapers!
You are obviously never going to be a rich shrink, assume it and move on. A square has more curves than your obtuse thinking.

The arrogant vicious aggressive rude are preaching morality to others reserving the right of vulgarity and context to themselves but no one else. Attacking even poor 71 years old with no command of the language or the internet. I assume no apology to her is in the cards. She is apparently Argentine. Out of the question. No?

So much for chinitos. ... Diapers is lovely.

Have a good day.

Last edited:
Again this is a very lame excuse to try to guess other people's beliefs and lifestyle. I talk about societies and cultures and that equals nationalism to you? Thank God I did not comment on anything related to religion to be regarded as antisemitic or similar. You generalizations and guesses are nonsense and don't add anything to the original topic.

You seem stuck on this nationalism issue, and again ignore all the rest. I really don't know why I bother sometimes.

In any case: [bold added for emphasis]

But for that to happen society has to evolve and deeper changes have to happen. When you decide to move or live in a " developing " country, that is what you witness. It is beyond rude to simply land and point out these things without understanding at which stage each society is at. When you are uncomfortable you can always go back to the other world, or simply understand where you are.

"Those foreigners come over here, telling us not to say negrito, well just go back to your country then" That sort of formulation stinks of nationalism whether its an Argentine or any other national.

I assume you are foreign, and that you have lived in other places that you are comparing locals against them

So, I criticize your nationalism and assumptions, invalidate them anyway as I am in fact Argentine. And then you criticize me for guessing about other people and making assumptions. Have you heard of Irony before?

I was not talking about you in particular, but if you go through the post, you will get a sense of how superior some people feel because they come from a certain background, when in reality their countries just enforce political correctness to avoid dealing their own current discrimination problems. We can all talk about anything, but have to acknowledge where we are coming from or it turns into hypocritical nonsense conversation.

Again, using nationalism to demean arguments from others who you, mistakenly, assume to be foreign (which is in any case irrelevant).

Back