Am I the only person in Argentina that finds the term "chinito" offensive?

People who get triggered by words (sounds) are just looking to be offended. Argentines often call anyone from the ME a 'Turk' and anyone from the FE 'Chino'. There is usually no malice behind it at all just an understandable ignorance owing to Argentina's historic lack of multiculturalism and its location in the world etc. I'm sure someone of Armenian or Korean heritage living in Argentina being called a Turk or Chino respectively by a friendly Argentine has more important things to worry about in his/her day..

People who get triggered by words (sounds) are just looking to be offended. Argentines often call anyone from the ME a 'Turk' and anyone from the FE 'Chino'. There is usually no malice behind it at all just an understandable ignorance owing to Argentina's historic lack of multiculturalism and its location in the world etc. I'm sure someone of Armenian or Korean heritage living in Argentina being called a Turk or Chino respectively by a friendly Argentine has more important things to worry about in his/her day..
I would capitalize but I'll try to stick to the etiquette : t h a n k y o u !!!!!

So in conclusion, there are two sides to the debate and no agreement will be reached. I wouldn't have it any other way.

What we can draw from this thread is:

• Some people are bothered by "chinito" and other terms
  • Some people are not bothered by it
  • Argentine's are xenophobic but it is down to ignorance
  • Ignorance in itself is a justification for being offensive
  • Many times, those words are used as terms of affection
  • Whether the recipient of the word likes it or not is largely unimportant
  • Other countries are also xenophobic and racist too (displayed on this thread as if that's breaking news)
  • Other countries often use words like this in a more loaded manner
  • Foreginers should not comment on matters regarding Argentina (problematic for this forum focused on foreigners living in Argentina, but hey)
  • And finally, if you're insecure enough you should start a seperate thread on the same issue

So in conclusion, there are two sides to the debate and no agreement will be reached. I wouldn't have it any other way.

What we can draw from this thread is:

• Some people are bothered by "chinito" and other terms
  • Some people are not bothered by it
  • Argentine's are xenophobic but it is down to ignorance
  • Ignorance in itself is a justification for being offensive
  • Many times, those words are used as terms of affection
  • Whether the recipient of the word likes it or not is largely unimportant
  • Other countries are also xenophobic and racist too (displayed on this thread as if that's breaking news)
  • Other countries often use words like this in a more loaded manner
  • Foreginers should not comment on matters regarding Argentina (problematic for this forum focused on foreigners living in Argentina, but hey)
  • And finally, if you're insecure enough you should start a seperate thread on the same issue
I guess we all have the right to draw our conclusions. My conclusions are very different in general.

What is the standard that we should use to determine which words should never be said. I think that if there are words too offensive to say to another, then we need to come up with a standard, so that we can identify such words before we even make the mistake of using them and inadvertantly committing a social taboo.

Right now it seems like many forum members think "chinito" is such a word. Along with other race-specific word. Certainly the list of never-mentionables is larger than just race. In addition, language changes, so as language changes we need tools in order to identify what new word usages should be added to the bad list and if we use the same rules, then we can all be on the same page.

Can anyone tell me the list of rules we can use to identify such taboo words?

Why do foreigners come to live in Argentina and then complain that its not like their home country/culture.....Argentinian society is evolving just like anywhere else and one day 'chinito' for example will probably be recognised generally as un unacceptable term. In the meantime worry about more important issues. In some ways Argentina is ahead of 'first world' countries. Argentina recognised full equal rights for same sex married couples before Denmark and most of Western Europe, the USA and Australasia..

Last edited:
I would respond that Argentina is EXACTLY like my home country. My own abuela used to use similar derogatory words for all kinds of people, and not think it was any big deal. At a certain point, in the 70s, we had to tell her it was not alright anymore to speak the way she had when she was growing up in the teens and early 20s. Every country has this same problem- older people, and unthinking people, who dont consider what their words might mean to others.
That said- I am not trying to change argentina.
All Y'all can do whatever you want. You can say whatever you want. And, you can try to pretend no fight in Argentina ever started by the casual use of an obviously derogatory slang word...

My Argentine friends, the ones who are descended from immigrants from all over the world, as well as the ones who are part native Argentine, THEY are the ones who are trying to change Argentina.

What is the standard that we should use to determine which words should never be said. I think that if there are words too offensive to say to another, then we need to come up with a standard, so that we can identify such words before we even make the mistake of using them and inadvertantly committing a social taboo.

Right now it seems like many forum members think "chinito" is such a word. Along with other race-specific word. Certainly the list of never-mentionables is larger than just race. In addition, language changes, so as language changes we need tools in order to identify what new word usages should be added to the bad list and if we use the same rules, then we can all be on the same page.

Can anyone tell me the list of rules we can use to identify such taboo words?

It's not about being taboo, its about being derogatory and perpetuating long-standing power structures which disadvantage minorities. Despite, or rather empowered by, the subjectivly good/neutral 'intentions' of those who use and defend the terms.

Why do foreigners come to live in Argentina and then complain that its not like their home country/culture.....Argentinian society is evolving just like anywhere else and one day 'chinito' for example will probably be recognised generally as un unacceptable term. In the meantime worry about more important issues. In some ways Argentina is ahead of 'first world' countries. Argentina recognised full equal rights for same sex married couples before Denmark and most of Western Europe, the USA and Australasia..

You join In a 20+ page discussion in the last few pages and make points which are irrelevant and have been shown to be either misguided fallacy at best, or nationalistic propaganda at worst.

At least do your homework and read the thread first.

*Whataboutism abounds.

You literally just summarised the same refuted points that those who have been defending the use of derogatory terms here keep repeating.

Saying the same thing over and over when it's been shown to be wrong is cute though.

Good Job!

Back