Am I the only person in Argentina that finds the term "chinito" offensive?

No doubt all the so proud to be EUROPEAN Argentinians won't mind if I start calling them all little Mexicans. Hey it's all all meant to be endearing, Argentinians are above PC, and at least Mexicans and Argentinians speak the same language!

I find interesting that after several days no one was able to give a detailed answer about how to identify bad speak so we can all stop doing it.

I guess it just shows how complex of a problem it is. At the root trying to define bad speak is so subjective and filled with so many cultural and interpersonal nuances that it cannot realistically be done.

No doubt all the so proud to be EUROPEAN Argentinians won't mind if I start calling them all little Mexicans. Hey it's all all meant to be endearing, Argentinians are above PC, and at least Mexicans and Argentinians speak the same language!

There is something between Arg and Mexico I have picked that up over the years. Just tell the Asians to reply with Mexicito when they are called Chinitos. I would love to be a fly when watching such and interaction.

I find interesting that after several days no one was able to give a detailed answer about how to identify bad speak so we can all stop doing it.

I guess it just shows how complex of a problem it is. At the root trying to define bad speak is so subjective and filled with so many cultural and interpersonal nuances that it cannot realistically be done.
Chinito needs something more than if you insult like “de mierda”, etc, because it is not pejorative by itself as I already explains.
However, chino is pejorative by itself.

I say ban all words and suffixes etc that are or might be deemed to be offensive in certain circumstances.

How about you just ask the subject of your comment whether THEY are comfortable with that word. You know- "what would you prefer to be called". I guarantee you not one Italian descended Argentine will say they want you to call them Dagos, Greasers, Wops, or Guidos.

An example of successful language censorship in so called developed countries ...

1565440544919.png

Back