Amazon and taxes

Cheng

Registered
Hi, if I order books from Amazon and have them shipped USPS, will I have to pick them up at the Correo in Retiro or will they deliver them to our door? Is it true that we do not have to pay taxes on books? Thanks for your help.

Yes that's true, but only to a certain value (can't remember which but it's pretty high). And yes, if you send it by USPS and if it gets stuck in customs (for whatever reason), you'll have to pick it up at Retiro

I have had better luck with Federal Express as you can have them deliver it to the local office for pick up. Personal experience with Retiro is that you will be there for 3 or 4 hours but it is easy to get to and from. I have been getting books, just a few each month and have never been charged taxes.

No import taxes on books or any other printed material. This is pretty much worldwide.

Thanks for all your replies. I might try to get some books from Amazon then.

IMHO, never ever order from Amazon. going to customs is a pretty terribad experience.

I've ordered books from Amazon to here in BA and I never had a problem.

I have ordered 4 books on amazon, mailed them by normal mail, they were deliverd at my door, the doormen received them without any problem.

Hi Cheng, don't order from Amazon, order from here www.betterworldbooks.com $3.97 dollars shipping worldwide and their are cheap and good. The other day I bought a medical reference book costing more $200 dollars for $48 including delivery, the book was new not used only defect was a little dent on the back, which they noted.

I sorta second the betterworld recommendation. The shipping is great, it's a non-profit as well. With that said, I ordered from them once and never received my books. They graciously refunded my money, which I why I recommend them. On the other hand, if you really need those books (like I did), I'd keep looking. Getting books in English is one of the worst parts of being in BA. In fact, the price of books in general here...

Back