Anyone able to receive Amazon order?

Utopos

Registered
Hola. I want to order a few books that are unavailable here. Does anyone have recent experience ordering from Amazon (U.S.)? I don't mind the long delivery time, just want to know if I'll actually receive them at my home without jumping through hoops (aduana, Retiro, etc).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I used Amazon on a weekly basis in Mexico and Colombia, but haven't touched them once in the six months I've been here in BA. Way too cost prohibitive here IMO. For example, I recently looked at some specialized shipping tape and the price on Amazon for the tape was $16.99 for six rolls, but the price to ship the tape to Argentina is $64.02. I think books are a bit cheaper shipping wise, but not by much. For example, I just looked up a $25 Spanish picture dictionary and the Amazon price to ship it here is $40, and that's just for one book.

I ended up going with Grabr instead. You go to Grabr's website, paste the Amazon link, and create an "order" indicating how long you're willing to wait for the item (anywhere from two weeks to two months). Someone who is flying to Argentina soon will make you an offer, and if you accept, you pay the money in USD and it's held by Grabr in escrow until you receive the item. The traveler will throw your item(s) in their carry-on and you meet at a safe place to collect your order. Sounds complicated, but it's not.

In my case, going through Amazon would have been $81 for six rolls of tape. Instead, by going through Grabr I only paid $31.89 ($16.99 for the tape, plus $1.19 sales tax, $9.00 traveler reward/tip, and $4.71 fees to Grabr). I placed my order on January 13th, the offer was accepted by a traveler within 24 hours, and the traveler arrived in BA on January 24th, so a grand total of 11 days from start to finish. I met the traveler in his hotel lobby, pushed a button in the Grabr app to confirm I received the item, and that was it. Easy peasy and saved $50 in the process.

I've personally used both Tiendamia and Aerobox, no issues with either.

I've used amazon.es (Spain) without issues. They even refunded taxes (but the order was not books)

When I won a tablet in a raffle by the city government for seniors, I started ordering books on Kindle that arrive seconds on my PC and tablet.

It's my understanding that books are the only items that Argentina allows for delivery without charging import taxes.

It's my understanding that books are the only items that Argentina allows for delivery without charging import taxes.
^ This is also my understanding.

I ordered two books from US Amazon a few months ago and was surprised at how quickly and easily they got here. I did have to do a bit of AFIP paperwork, but it wasn't hard. However, it really only felt affordable because I had some credit card points and a gift card that I could throw at it so I didn't feel the shipping charge -- $50 of books cost about $50 to mail.

Thanks for the information everyone, much appreciated.

Julia, could you explain a bit more about the AFIP paperwork? Did you do it at the door when the books arrived or did you have to go somewhere first, what info/documentation did they require, etc? I want 3 books, each will be coming separately from different countries (France, Germany, U.S.), though all would be ordered through Amazon U.S.

The shipment came through DHL, so DHL contacted me to give me instructions when the package was about to arrive in Argentina. I had to do it before the package could be released for pick-up -- I didn't have it shipped to my house, just to the DHL office, but that was just a personal preference. I had to go to an AFIP office and provide a copy of my passport and precaria (presumably it would be your DNI instead if you have one) and another form, and they generated an online account for me. It would have taken about five minutes if I hadn't accidentally brought an outdated precaria copy. Then I had to go home and associate some contact information in the online account and send a specific screenshot of the account to DHL. Apologies for not remembering the details of which part of the account needed the screenshot or the name of the AFIP form, but they'll also send you all that information if you get something through them. DHL did have a quick turn-around requirement, though -- I had to get the screenshot to them in 48 hours, but since I was able to waltz into the AFIP office without an appointment, it wasn't hard to do.

Back