American Airlines cancelled my flight and booked me 18 days later. What to do?

Sometimes other competing airlines will honor a ticket out of professional courtesy.
You might check other airlines flying out of BA. e.g., Delta, United, Ar. Ar.,LAN, Copa…
I did it once at the airline counter right at the airport but that was years ago.
Also you might have to alter your final destination.
Instead of SFO or SAN you might have to settle for DFW or MIA and then find alternate transportation.
Good luck.

All good advice. Thank you. I am working on all options but most airlines flying to USA a full with people going to get vaccinated

Sometimes other competing airlines will honor a ticket out of professional courtesy.
You might check other airlines flying out of BA. e.g., Delta, United, Ar. Ar.,LAN, Copa…
I did it once at the airline counter right at the airport but that was years ago.
Also you might have to alter your final destination.
Instead of SFO or SAN you might have to settle for DFW or MIA and then find alternate transportation.
Good luck.
D.B. - Your info is accurate, but it could be dated?

When I saw this post I checked my flight later this month from Miami to BsAs. I saw that it had been changed. After a long wait I finally got through to AA. They said that the change had been made last night. I was able to rebook more convenient flights leaving from Dallas to BsAS. The date of my reschduled departure is NOT on the dates approved for flights, however. If I am reading it correctly, the 'authorised flights' don't state numbers, rather just dates. Could AA have rebooked me on a non-authorised flight or is the information on the link inaccurate?

Antipodean: Thank you for your reply. American just told me that ALL flights out of Argentina have been cancelled, which I find hard to believe. They re-booked me for July 2, three weeks after our original departure date. Yes, they did tell me they would refund 100% of my money and I could use that anyway I wanted. When I asked them who would pay the hotel bill for the next three weeks, they said they could not answer that question. Oh well, time to relax and do some research. I appreciate your feedback and will look into your suggestion.
Antipodean: Thank you for your reply. American just told me that ALL flights out of Argentina have been cancelled, which I find hard to believe. They re-booked me for July 2, three weeks after our original departure date. Yes, they did tell me they would refund 100% of my money and I could use that anyway I wanted. When I asked them who would pay the hotel bill for the next three weeks, they said they could not answer that question. Oh well, time to relax and do some research. I appreciate your feedback and will look into your suggestion.
In case this helps, AA has -at this stage- maintained my mid June return EZE MIA.
They have just rescheduled the inbound flight to about 7 hours later than original departure time.
You are probably very well aware of it but direct flights to the US are absolutely chokers at the moment. Likely why you can’t get put on an earlier date.
I have got a lot of useful tips from you guys on this site, so in case this info can help others: flights are full but there are a fair few no shows on the inbound direct flights back from the US to EZE. Because of PCR results coming back notoriously randomly in the US. There, PCR results can well take the full 72 hours (recently learnt this the hard way). There are fast PCR but they come with a hefty price tag. On the bright side it made me appreciate the efficiency of Argentinian labs (who would have thought!)

American moved me from Dallas to Miami. Looks like Dallas flights on that day were cancelled. Shame. Dallas is much closer to my final destination. Seems like the Miami plane is a 4 class service plane. Coach/Premium/Business/First. I'm trying use my last systemwide upgrade from before the pandemic brought everything all crazy :*(

I don't believe the website mentioned here is accurate. I am scheduled on a flight from Dallas on a date that the website indicates as a no-fly day but AA insist that they ARE operating a flight!

American moved me from Dallas to Miami. Looks like Dallas flights on that day were cancelled. Shame. Dallas is much closer to my final destination. Seems like the Miami plane is a 4 class service plane. Coach/Premium/Business/First. I'm trying use my last systemwide upgrade from before the pandemic brought everything all crazy :*(

AA told me that the Dallas flights are daily.

MIA should almost always be fine with AA since they have daily flights approved, and as a backup daily AR flights exist too. Some days double dailies. It is DFW and JFK that have "ify" approvals and frequencies (Also like IAH and ATL) that get updated by the Argentine government every few weeks. Hence when one goes down, the approved capacity to MIA gets eaten up quickly getting everyone else where they need to go.

In meantime airlines sell flights on their routes like they are going to get approved as it may be true they have daily flights scheduled, but month after month we see they are not all approved. It could change, yes, but why risk it if you can avoid it.

Back