American Airlines is crazy

fred mertz

Registered
I was thinking about visiting Medellin,Colombia. I checked AA.com. The round trip airfare from BA is US$2,735.10 incl. taxes in mid January. I thought that somehow I checked business class by mistake. I hadn´t. I then checked the round trip fare for a flight from BA to Shanghai. US$2,708.43. To Shanghai you´d probably get enough flier miles to take a free trip to some where. I know that American( and America, but that´s another story), is on the verge of bankrupcy. Maybe they´re hoping to speed up the process?

fred mertz said:
I was thinking about visiting Medellin,Colombia. I checked AA.com. The round trip airfare from BA is US$2,735.10 incl. taxes in mid January. I thought that somehow I checked business class by mistake. I hadn´t. I then checked the round trip fare for a flight from BA to Shanghai. US$2,708.43. To Shanghai you´d probably get enough flier miles to take a free trip to some where. I know that American( and America, but that´s another story), is on the verge of bankrupcy. Maybe they´re hoping to speed up the process?

AA international flights are priced way out of line. Domestic US prices can be real deals . Think you are right about their looming bankruptcy---they are pushing the envelope for a potential buy-out or merger with their international flight routes.

I think American flies EZE to MDE via the USA. There are cheaper prices for other dates but I reckon you'll get a much better deal with someone flying direct or at the very least, making the connection on the same continent

El Duderino said:
Maybe you don't know how to search for flights? No, I'm sure that's it.[/QUOTE
]Totally agree on this, AA doesn't publish a fare between BA and Medellin, so what they are selling you is two fares(BA->US, US->MED) just on one ticket that is the reason AA is so high. If you learn how to work tickets, you can travel around the world for very little.

fred mertz said:

And why would you fly to Colombia via the US?!

bebero said:
And why would you fly to Colombia via the US?!

Because American doesn't have direct flights from EZE to Colombia.

How can someone be an expat and not understand that not all airlines fly directly from one location to another?

This is amazing! :eek:

Not sure why you would check American for flights. They do not run South American routes. Check one of the local airlines - LAN, Aerolinas, etc.

Better yet, go to kayak.com or vayama.com first.

Or if you must, when searching on aa.com, click on "search all partner airlines" instead of just american. Because yes, otherwise, you would be flying BsAs to Miami and then back to Colombia.

And flying from a Sth American hub for cocaine distribution to the US then to Medellin, going back through the US to said hub would probably arouse the suspicious of US customs / immigration. It might not be a pleasant trip in more than just price! :p

Back