American Airlines 'standard Operating Procedure'?

united could have certainly handled this situation better, either by increasing the compensation for volunteers or not boarding the plane first until they had the seats. but people forget the fine print in the ticket, that united can take people off in these situations. the blame here is not all with united unfortunately.

united could have certainly handled this situation better, either by increasing the compensation for volunteers or not boarding the plane first until they had the seats. but people forget the fine print in the ticket, that united can take people off in these situations. the blame here is not all with united unfortunately.

Not a lawyer, but this should hinge on contract law, as well as the ticket's fine print. You're absolutely correct that if this had been handled pre-board there would have been no incident - nasty crap happens all the time in airports. But - if they issued him a boarding pass with seat assignment, then allowed him to board? There must/should be a point at which the airline commits to providing the passenger with transportation as a contract commitment and can't renege.

And maybe not, but can you imagine getting a persuasive lawyer in front of a jury full of pissed-off airline customers (that part shouldn't be hard)? Unless something else than what we've heard so far pops up, this guy is in line for a big payday.

Not a lawyer, but this should hinge on contract law, as well as the ticket's fine print. You're absolutely correct that if this had been handled pre-board there would have been no incident - nasty crap happens all the time in airports. But - if they issued him a boarding pass with seat assignment, then allowed him to board? There must/should be a point at which the airline commits to providing the passenger with transportation as a contract commitment and can't renege.

And maybe not, but can you imagine getting a persuasive lawyer in front of a jury full of pissed-off airline customers (that part shouldn't be hard)? Unless something else than what we've heard so far pops up, this guy is in line for a big payday.

Can you imagine jury selection for this one . The United lawyer is going to have a hard time finding one potential juror who thinks that United are just fine....

Can you imagine jury selection for this one . The United lawyer is going to have a hard time finding one potential juror who thinks that United are just fine....

United lawyer: "I'd like to ask a question of you all. Please raise your hand if you've had a recent bad experience with an airline."

"Uh ... your honor?"

Maybe the CEO´s wife might stand behind him...but then again his mea culpa today was so "tone deaf" even she may be signing up to be the hangman. I am fairly tolerant of corporates needing to do what they do in a horribly litigious world but this poor guy was treated so badly and no doubt half the plane was traumatised to see it. I hope he takes their asses to the cleaners.

United CEO issues a third version of his apology . If he hadn't cocked up the first one and blamed the poor bloke , some might believe him.

I dont....

In fairness to American Airlines I publicly apologise for slurring their good name.
United on the other hand...

Back