American Breakfast

So I'm not the only one hunkering for a truly American-style breakfast, i.e. pancakes! I got so much hell on this site a few weeks ago after advocating to a newbie that they bring pancake mix with them from the US. No matter what I've tried, with the different quality and taste of Argentine flour, they do NOT taste anywhere near the same, even with real maple syrup. Worth the space and the overweight bag costs!!!

At least we all have some friends here at baexpats to take care of each other...

Let's face it -- American breakfast is really dessert -- video by Vox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y789MRv7KLI

We disagree about some things, but we're on the same page here. Sugar, in the quantities consumed today, is literally a poison. A direct and predictable outcome of excess consumption is type 2 diabetes - it's a self-inflicted condition.

The video listed weight gain and other outcomes as results of a sugar-heavy diet, but for some reason didn't explicitly call out diabetes. It's demonstratably true, though, and if you replace "sugar" with "simple carbs" it's equally true, because they're equivalent foods.

I'm sure we won't be in sync with the cure, though. You'll recommend plant-based foods as replacements, while I'm living (still) proof that low-carb, high protein is the way to go.

In any event we'll agree that, for optimum health, moderate sugar intake should be limited to desserts, and maybe an occasional Sunday morning binge breakfast.

End of sermon - collection plates conveniently located on the way out.

So I'm not the only one hunkering for a truly American-style breakfast, i.e. pancakes! I got so much hell on this site a few weeks ago after advocating to a newbie that they bring pancake mix with them from the US. No matter what I've tried, with the different quality and taste of Argentine flour, they do NOT taste anywhere near the same, even with real maple syrup. Worth the space and the overweight bag costs!!!

At least we all have some friends here at baexpats to take care of each other...
It is because the wheat here has a different proportion of gluten, proteins, ashes and water than the one at the US. If you search for tables of equivalence may improve the result.

Back