American Expat With Arg Driver´s License Traveling To The Us

nikad

Registered
So we traveled to the US last year and my DH forgot that his driver´s license was expiring in a few months. He is not eligible to renew it online. He now has an Argentine driver´s license. We are traveling to the US early next year and I wonder if he is going to be able to drive with an Argentine license or what would be the best approach until he renews his US one? Thanks for your invaluable input :)

Not exactly an expert here, but my understanding is that if he has residency in another country and a driver's license in that country, it will be valid in the States. It might do good to get an international driver's license as well.

I have a friend who is going through the same issue and after some research, that is what he determined to be the case. He still has to get his driver's license here, so he hasn't tested it yet...

That's what I hope - my driver's license from Texas expires in a couple of years and I'm hoping my Argentine license will work as well when I visit.

Seems like it varies state-by-state - http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Foreign-Visitors-Driving.shtml
The few states that I checked do seem to allow it.

I'm keeping my Argentina driver's license on me the next time I go to the States. What a perfect way to get out of tickets!

Seems like it varies state-by-state - http://www.usa.gov/T...s-Driving.shtml
The few states that I checked do seem to allow it.

I'm keeping my Argentina driver's license on me the next time I go to the States. What a perfect way to get out of tickets!

I have an Ascension Island driver's license, which is a story in its own right that I'll write up some time.

o
So we traveled to the US last year and my DH forgot that his driver´s license was expiring in a few months. He is not eligible to renew it online. He now has an Argentine driver´s license. We are traveling to the US early next year and I wonder if he is going to be able to drive with an Argentine license or what would be the best approach until he renews his US one? Thanks for your invaluable input :)

Go to the AAA and obtain your International drivers license...

Go to the AAA and obtain your International drivers license...
He got his Arg one there, and now he is getting the intl... we just do not want to be stranded at some airport unable to dirve in the US. I am somewhat dumb and cannot drive lol

Yes, the AAA office will issue an INTL DL, I got one in 2010 and used it in Vegas and Michigan.
Go to the main AAA office in Av Libertador, Palermo

I would think you should have no problems. However if he wishes to renew his US drivers permit from his home state , the laws have recently changed , and a whole lot of original documents are needed. Check carefully if he plans to renew a us permit.

Have fun !!

Any more detailed information about where that office is on Palermo?

Back