American Expatriation Guide

mini said:
So why would you go through the process of chaining yourself to an second state? I would think you'd rather be a stateless person than burden yourself with TWO citizenships.....

Well I'm glad somebody apparently understood what the post by Brandwach was about, I didn't get it.

I am a US citizen with permanent residency here. I pay taxes here. I pay taxes in the US as well, in additional to self-employment, social security and such. And that's a LOT considering I don't live and haven't lived there in a while and for benefits that will most likely never materialize. Not fair.

armbou said:
I am a US citizen with permanent residency here. I pay taxes here. I pay taxes in the US as well, in additional to self-employment, social security and such. And that's a LOT considering I don't live and haven't lived there in a while and for benefits that will most likely never materialize. Not fair.

You do realize if you live here, you are exempt from taxes up to 91,400 dollars correct?

Lee - that is not entirely true.

Directly from the IRS website:
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96811,00.html

Source of Earned Income

The source of your earned income is the place where you perform the services for which you received the income. Foreign earned income is income you receive for performing personal services in a foreign country. Where or how you are paid has no effect on the source of the income. For example, income you receive for work done in France is income from a foreign source even if the income is paid directly to your bank account in the United States and your employer is located in New York City.

Now if you are performing work for a company in the US, I don't know how that plays out. I'm not an accountant nor do I play one on tv ;) But given the person above is paying taxes here in Arg, s/he is obviously performing work here and as such, yes, the deduction would be applicable.

armbou said:

So follow non-citizen Rad's advice and renounce. Seriously. Don't mean this to be snarky. If you are effectively Argentinian now and the benefits of US citizenship "will most likely never materialize" why keep paying our membership fees? Unless of course in the back of your mind you are in fact thinking about leveraging your options in the future...

Is there anyone out there who has actually renounced their US citizenship in favor of Argentine citizenship? Doesn't seem wise...

ssr said:
Is there anyone out there who has actually renounced their US citizenship in favor of Argentine citizenship? Doesn't seem wise...

Exactly. The premise of this entire thread is complete nonsense - just more right wing huffing and puffing with threats to blow the house down. And it's especially ridiculous since it was started by a non-citizen in the first place!

gouchobob said:
Well I'm glad somebody apparently understood what the post by Brandwach was about, I didn't get it.

I get it on a philosophical level. I'm sure we can all 'get' it theoretically. But it's a bit strange to be against the whole idea of statehood then run out & get a second citizenship!

Choripán said:
Exactly. The premise of this entire thread is complete nonsense - just more right wing huffing and puffing with threats to blow the house down. And it's especially ridiculous since it was started by a non-citizen in the first place!
nm. No point talking to idiots like you...

Back