American New To Buenos Aires..seeking Advice And Friends!

Hey expats!

1) Learning Spanish. Almost everyone (including a porteño Spanish tutor I met with a few days ago) says Colombia is the best place to learn Spanish because of their clear accent. A lot of people told me Argentina isn't the best place for learning Spanish--and so far, I think they were right. I realize every country/region will have a different accent, but this one is just very different...and I'm worried I'll sound strange to Hispanics in the States, and they won't be able to understand me. Is the Argentine accent a big deal? Or will I still be able to get by in other Spanish-speaking countries? Would love your thoughts...

Hola Travelbug (and others who may have the same questions),

I'll leave your other questions alone because there is plenty written on them and for the most part it's even more subjective than the answer to your first question.

Disclaimer: I learned Spanish from absolute zero in Buenos Aires and have never learned Spanish in another country.

With qualification in place, I worked in the language learning industry for a while and that "Buenos Aires is a poor place to learn Spanish" is one of the most oft repeated myths about the Spanish language that I hear from foreigners. Right up there with "argentinos don't use the preterito perfecto" and "'b' and 'v' are perfect homophones in Spanish."

First of all there are many of different accents in Spanish, which not only vary by country but usually by reigion as well. The Spanish spoken by most Mexican Americans sounds nothing like the accent you hear in Mexico City. The Spanish on TV here sounds nothing like the Spanish spoken in cordoba for example. If there is no universal Spanish accent then why is the Argentine accent inferior to others as an environment for learning Spanish?

Those who perpetuate the myth about learning Spanish in Argentina usually cite one of the following:

"The argentine accent is difficult to understand for most Spanish speakers"

First of all, after several months of Spanish clases here you will not have an Argentine accent. I've lived in Argentina for 5 years and speak Spanish at least 30 minutes for every minute I speak English and consider it a success that people finally don't inmediately identify my accent as an being from the US. Most commonly people guess that I'm from Spain or occasionally Russia (no idea why). Even Dustin, the internationally famous YouTube star whose videos highlight him as the Yankee who speaks Argentino, and who is clearly a natural when it comes to imitating accents, has a few tells which give him away as a non native speaker.

Secondly my purely anecdotal experience with Buenos Aires Spanish is one of being understood. Since learning Spanish here I've traveled to 5 Spanish speaking country's and conversed in Spanish in the US and have never had any real difficulty communicating. There is a fair amount of Argentine media distributed overseas and most Spanish speakers are accustomed to the accent although probably not completely familiar with regional vocabulary. Sort of like if an American is talking to an Aussie, it's a wired accent sure, but it's still the same language and it's not that hard to understand.

Finally this idea of Argentines having difficult to understand accents - accents not vocabulary - seems to be one that is unique to native English speaking foreigners in Argentina. If you were to ask native Spanish speakers who've traveled extensively most would probably not consider the argentine accent difficult to understand. They'd usually say thinks like the Chilean accent, the Andean accents, the 'rural Mexican' accent, or even the Cuban accent (which I think is pretty clear).

"In Argentine Spanish they use the voseo and if you learn that you wont be able to talk to anyone else"

This is a non issue really. Learning the voseo conjugation takes about a second and doesn't mean you can't learn to conjugate in the tu form. Here I'll teach you the voseo right now: Take the infinitive of any verb (other ser, ir or haber) and add an accent to the second to last letter and change the last letter from an r to an s. For the imperative just drop the S. There now that youve mastered the vos form you can concentrate on the Tu.

Not to mention if you forget and end up using the vos form outside of Argentina, everybody will still understand you!

"They have different words for everything"

Again this is true in every country. Just like different English speaking countries have different words for the same things. It's rarely impedes comprehension.

"The shhhh sound is odd and nobody will understand you"

The sound of ll and the y vary quite a bit from one country to another and run the gamut from the "sha" here to "yah" "cha" and even "jah" in other parts of Latin America. Nobody is going to confuse your yeismo with another phoneme.

Basically, don't worry about it, Argentine spanish isn't harder to learn and it's not any less useful. It is still castellano after all.

I have a different perspective on this subject because I grew up in a 100% bilingual household and consider myself to have both English and Spanish as my native languages. 1/2 of my family was from Cuba and 1/2 from Russia and I grew up in New York City, went to school there, etc. Argentine (rioplatense) Spanish is probably one of the most easily recognizable accents / sounds to detect for other native Spanish speakers. So if you learn Spanish here, as soon as you speak a few sentences, besides knowing that you are not a native speaker, they will know you learned Spanish in Argentina and/or from an Argentine. General everyday conversation doesn't vary much in terms of vocabulary, however things get specific from country to country when it comes to: food items, clothing items, and things to do with buildings / houses. Other than that, people will know what you mean from one Spanish speaking country to the next; no native speaker of Spanish is not going to understand you if you get to a certain level of conversational skill as the "context clues" will allow them to understand what you mean. For example, if a non-native English speaker says to you "I see my friend yesterday" - are you not going to understand that this was "past tense", just because that person said "see" instead of "saw"? That is how language and comprehension works - people's brains figure out ideas by a grouping of words in a specific context, not by the words individually. I am a translator and interpreter and deal with these issues every single day. I personally am NOT a big fan of the Argentine accent or their silly lunfardo vocabulary or their constant references to excrement, flatulence, testicles and football in everyday speech. I much prefer Caribbean and Colombian accents. Again it's a personal preference, one is not better than the other. However a good benchmark for what is considered "well spoken" Spanish are international news broadcasts in Spanish, such as CNN. Almost all of the journalists are Colombian and some are Mexican and a few are so neutral in their accent that it's almost undetectable. I can't imagine an Argentine ever doing any type of journalism work in Spanish unless it was regional. It's a matter of credibility also. Good luck.

It's more about what you're used to and your personal preference than one accent being "better" than another. I've never heard of two native Spanish speakers from different countries not understanding each other. If you prefer a certain accent it will probably be easier for you to learn that one - because you enjoy hearing it and maybe are used to it already. I have a really hard time with the Dominican accent because I don't particularly like it, and when I can I watch argentine movies or call my family to be hear the argentine accent instead and remind myself that I do enjoy Spanish. It's all about you, really.

I don't think you should bother about the accent that much. You will quickly adapt to every place you will be at. I learn Spanish with a pronunciation that was closer to the one from Spain for 3 years and adapted to the Buenos Aires accent in less than 2 weeks. This will happen to you every place you are at. And I dare to say if you understand the portenos in Buenos Aires you will understand everyone, accentwise.
Buenos Aires is a great city with a huge cultural programm, often for free or small amounts of money. I love the multiculturalism here. I have made so many good friends and amazing experiences and in the end having a great time is more important than speaking a language perfectly.
When you go back your image of the language will also be tied to the experiences you made here and it will infulence your willingness to speak the language. Just make sure you can associate speaking Spanish with great experiences and everything will be fine,

Porteño has unique verb conjugations that are not part of the Spanish Language Grammar....jajajaj this requires and additional learning effort

Vos Sos ? Sois
Vos Tenés Teneis
Vos venís ? Veneis

And Also Mirá instead of Mira
and Saltá Corré o Jugá ?with accents on the last syllable?

If you want somewhere else in Argentina to learn Spanish you could go to Cordoba city. Cordobeses speak differently (and more slowly, formally, "standard-ly") than portenos, so do Mendocinos, and if you sit with my sister-in-law`s family -- Santiaguenos (for Santiago del Estero NOT Santiago de Chile) you'll soon realise that the compuesto (he hablado, he visto etc) is alive and well in Argentina. It's not about accents, it's about verb forms -- as said above you can learn the Vos form easily but it's not like the Vos is used universally in this country. I've never really learnt/used the vosotros form because it's only really used in Spain -- however that doesn't mean that if I'm reading an article that uses it I'm suddenly incapable of understanding that they are talking about the plural form of You and using vosotros instead of ustedes.

Anyway here I am 9 years in, only about 1.5 yrs spent in conversation classes and now studying to be an interpreter -- and guess what, the Argentines in the course not only have to learn to understand different English accents (fortunately for me that's the easy bit) but all of us -- have to learn different Spanish accents as well. Because yes, just as it can be difficult for someone from the States to understand someone from Glasgow, it can be hard for someone from Buenos Aires to understand someone from I don't know, some town in Nicaragua.

And as someone else said, the Dominican accent is different too, there someone well tell you "vamos a hacer un tul al mal y despues compramos ambal y comemos papa al lolno". WT? Ah you mean we're going to do a tour of the mar (sea) and then buy some amber and eat papas al horno (roasted potatoes)? Sorry but the Dominicans really are like the stereotype of the Asians mixing their Rs and Ls. But it made me smile, accents are accents, some are funny, some are ridiculous, some are impossible to understand, but once you have a basic vacbulary you can make yourself understood (as long as the person on the other end of the conversation is patient, which often isn't the case in Buenos Aires...)

When learning a language at a fast pace take into account that you will feel more tired then normal, because your brain will be working overtime. Don´t plan to many activities, as even buying gum can be an adventure! I learned this in Guatemala, I was going to do so much stuff but after 5 hours of one-on-one lessons and then just getting around I was EXHAUSTED. After two years of living in BsAs this feeling went away, when I reached the point of not caring if the conversation was in English or Spanish.

When learning a language at a fast pace take into account that you will feel more tired then normal, because your brain will be working overtime. Don´t plan to many activities, as even buying gum can be an adventure! I learned this in Guatemala, I was going to do so much stuff but after 5 hours of one-on-one lessons and then just getting around I was EXHAUSTED. After two years of living in BsAs this feeling went away, when I reached the point of not caring if the conversation was in English or Spanish.

When I was in Chile during the Pinochet years, learning the language was an exhausting 24/7 process (even though I never felt the same sense of menace there that I did during the Proceso in Argentina).

Back