American Products

cq.argentina

Registered
Does anyone know somebody importing food/beverages from America? Or somebody that would travel and could bring some stuff?

Particularly interested in Mtn Dew and Reeses

Does anyone know somebody importing food/beverages from America? Or somebody that would travel and could bring some stuff?

Particularly interested in Mtn Dew and Reeses
u can get Reeses´s at Buquebus free shop

Why do they call it Free Shop. It's mind boggling. It's a Duty Free Shop. If it's a Free shop what keeps me from walking in and taking whatever I want without paying???

Before someone asks... no I AM NOT kidding.

Give it a try and come back to us with your findings.

I'm obviously not going to. I'd fear getting lynched :p I Just saw a near lynching near the corner of Paraguay and Parana I think. Not pretty.

I really meant it. Why do they do it. This is obviously not critical of Nikad's helpful post, she just referred to the place the way it's commonly referred to. I meant the people who decided to drop the word Duty... Did they not realize what they were doing? In these forums, do you guys not notice?

I'm obviously not going to. I'd fear getting lynched :p I Just saw a near lynching near the corner of Paraguay and Parana I think. Not pretty.

I really meant it. Why do they do it. This is obviously not critical of Nikad's helpful post, she just referred to the place the way it's commonly referred to. I meant the people who decided to drop the word Duty... Did they not realize what they were doing? In these forums, do you guys not notice?

The other option is to call it a duty shop.. . jaja. . . duty.

InternationalGuy -- if you spend your time correcting the English here you will drive yourself crazy -- or as the Brits would say -- mad. English is spoken all over the world in all sorts of forms, some of them barely recognizable as English.Argentina is by no means the most guilty of poor english translations, so you just have to let it go already.

Anyway Brits could take the piss out of you for the way you speak as an American. "Take the piss?" you say... I mean "take the mickey" ... wha? say the Canadians, not my booze! (a mickey in Canada is a flask-sized bottle of booze) speaking of which if you talking of 2-4s in Canada we're talking beer not lumber... what I'm saying is that your American english is already different from other country's English so don't expect your standards of English to be met in places where it's not even the official language... and in case you don't know taking the piss/the mickey is to tease you.

Syngirl,

I want to start by saying thank you. Yours has been the only serious reply to my very serious question. I really appreciate that you took the time.

I'm a perfectionist and an idealist. Not an easy combination. I understand the differences in English worldwide. I would expect English here to be British oriented due to the love/hate relationship between them. That's OK. I also don't expect perfect grammar or spelling from non native speakers.

The problem here is that it's companies that are worth several million dollars making those mistakes. There's also a laziness aspect that leads them to butcher English, Italian, and even Spanish. People constantly come here to rant and often find someone to echo their disgust. Apparently I'm alone in this and no one else notices/ cares. I will no longer post anything related to grammar or spelling. If they want to have Free shops and any other sort of absurdity, it's their crazy country, not my crazy country.

Thanks again.

Syngirl,

I want to start by saying thank you. Yours has been the only serious reply to my very serious question. I really appreciate that you took the time.

I'm a perfectionist and an idealist. Not an easy combination. I understand the differences in English worldwide. I would expect English here to be British oriented due to the love/hate relationship between them. That's OK. I also don't expect perfect grammar or spelling from non native speakers.

The problem here is that it's companies that are worth several million dollars making those mistakes. There's also a laziness aspect that leads them to butcher English, Italian, and even Spanish. People constantly come here to rant and often find someone to echo their disgust. Apparently I'm alone in this and no one else notices/ cares. I will no longer post anything related to grammar or spelling. If they want to have Free shops and any other sort of absurdity, it's their crazy country, not my crazy country.

Thanks again.

I don't think Argentina is the only "crazy country" in that context - it is common worldwide that businesses take words from other languages because they sound more interesting or because they can register them as a brand/service name. (Pigeon) English seems to be extremely popular in non-english speaking countries. Why they didn't they use the complete/correct wording? Maybe because the target group of customers know what "shop" and "free" means - but do not know the meaning of "duty"? Or maybe some 'talented' marketing guy/gal thought it was catchier or easier to pronounce for locals. It is also possible that "Duty Free Shop" was not possible to register as a brand name. Who knows ... Oh and I just remembered that bar somewhere in New England where it said "Hamburgs & Cheesburgs" on their sign outside. They butchered their own language - though from the looks of the establishment - it was certainly not a company making millions of dollars ;)

Back