An apology to the Golden Arches

nledec said:
the typical Argentine eats their meat so over cooked that you can't taste the difference between the beef and the placemat.
I am being facetious here, but who decided that the taste of beef is not that of a placemat ? If you are in France it comes with a bloody salsa, in Germany más o menos like in Argentina. What I am saying is that we all import our cultural programming. If you move things will be different and the challenge is to adapt. In Paris I had to make the waiter laugh and tell him that if he served me bloody steak one more time I would call the vet for the proper resuscitation procedure. However, I would not say they know nothing about cooking . It was me who was not prepared.
This goes beyond the scope of this post but my observation is that expats fall in love with a place and then when they stay they want to change what they originally fell in love with.But that is for a separate thread entirely.

"Mine was a deeper point about the accessibility of decent food here in this major world capitol city.[/quote]
I have eaten Mc D here and also agree that it tastes better than anywhere else but decent ? Fast,clean predictable and convenient spring to mind,but decent does not.

Again, the larger point was not that McD is great food, but that what is available in BA is so shockingly dismal that it makes McD a bright spot. It is one thing to have to adapt yourself to the food in Paris...and quite another thing to do that here.

Nledec,I could go on. Mexico and asking for hot food . I got so annoyed at the waitress who was so stubborn as to serve me food three times only mildly hotter and when I gave instructions to nuke my food for 2 minutes solid in the microwave she was watching me with such concern for my wellbeing that I realised that in her mind she was serving me hot food and that in her eyes I was an alien for cooking my taste buds in that manner.

But that is by the by. To my mind BA is an experience and I appreciate that the experience does not come with a neon sign that translates to standard, "you know what you will get when you enter" but am happy to take the rough with the smooth. It may mean bad meals, but also surprises. Wish you loads of new and pleasant ones.

Interesting thread.

I went to a Mickey Dee's in Recoleta yesterday prior to seeing The Dark Knight Rises. The plan was to go to TGI's but I couldn't bank on the hour early that I was being enough time to be seated and fed and so bit the bullet.

An Aberdeen Angus with bacon later and I was very satisfied with the food, I even left some fries due to being full up. The service was a bit haphazard compared with my experiences of having worked for them aged 15/16 but all in all I got what I expected.

I'd rather buy a pancho from a street vendor for a quick bite, but can completely understand the comfort, brand recognition and prestige associated with having a McDonald's.

Today I saw a Burger King in a shopping mall on Florida; One day, and soon, I will be trying out their 'Steakhouse' selection to compare what are essentially the US's most successful overseas franchise exports.

Hopefully this isn't the start of me becoming a connoisseur of globally accepted fast-food :)

ElQueso said:
Yesterday I paid 48 pesos for a combo. That's somewhere around $7.60 US (at the blue rate - or a whopping $10.53 US at the official rate!!) . I don't know what the prices are in the States at McDs these days, not having been back in almost 5 years.
You do know you can buy the unadvertised Big Mac meal for around half the price or less of the others don't you? One of Christina's little scams...

Back