An Argentinian doctor making $50k a year survives how exactly?

He meant pesos Steve which is the wage of a doctor in a public hospital.

Thanks Perry, He asked how exactly a doctor making 50K a year survives.

He may have meant 50K per month, but that's not what he wrote, and I answered the question he asked, knowing no doctor in Argentina would work for 50K pesos per year, assuming he meant dollars.

Hardly anyone could survive today on 50K pesos per year in Argentina

I think the lowest government pension is presently $10.000 pesos per month. That would be tough to live on now, as the cost of so many basic food items have doubled in the past year.

Just yesterday one of my Argentine friends who is retired from the Armada Argentina (as a sub-oficial) told me his pension is $20K per month. He has a quinta and continues to build onto and enlarge his house.

I know several doctors who work in the public hospital in Punta Alta, but they do not work there full time. They have regular office hours in other locations and accept coverage from private insurers such as OSDE, Medicus, and Omint.

I have no idea how much they are actually making, but I imagine it's considerably more than 50K pesos per month.

PS: I hope that any doctor in Argentina who is working at a public hospital full time and only making $50K per month is also young enough to still be living with the parents or is married to someone who also works for at least that much.

Thanks Perry, He asked how exactly a doctor making 50K a year survives.

He may have meant 50K per month, but that's not what he wrote, and I answered the question he asked, knowing no doctor in Argentina would work for 50K pesos per year, assuming he meant dollars.

Hardly anyone could survive today on 50K pesos per year in Argentina

I think the lowest government pension is presently $10.000 pesos per month. That would be tough to live on now, as the cost of so many basic food items have doubled in the past year.

Just yesterday one of my Argentine friends who is retired from the Armada Argentina (as a sub-oficial) told me his pension is $20K per month. He has a quinta and continues to build onto and enlarge his house.

I know several doctors who work in the public hospital in Punta Alta, but they do not work there full time. They have regular office hours in other locations and accept coverage from private insurers such as OSDE, Medicus, and Omint.

I have no idea how much they are actually making, but I imagine it's considerably more than 50K pesos per month.

PS: I hope that any doctor in Argentina who is working at a public hospital full time and only making $50K per month is also young enough to still be living with the parents or is married to someone who also works for at least that much.

I understand now I was confused by the symbol as in Argentina US$ is written like this and this $ is pesos . US$ 50 .000 a year is imho a great wage in Argentina that 95% do not earn. Most people live on other earnings ie . investment properties etc etc .

I think the lowest government pension is presently $10.000 pesos per month. That would be tough to live on now, as the cost of so many basic food items have doubled in the past year. QUOTE

The government pensions have evaporated with inflation. My wife retired 2 1/2 years ago with a pension after 25 years as director of a government hospital. The number of pesos she receives has increased by 90% but, even with the adjustments, the pensions dollar value has fallen by 40%.

With no end to inflation in sight, I wouldn't factor a government pension into retirement planning.

I understand now I was confused by the symbol as in Argentina US$ is written like this and this $ is pesos . US$ 50 .000 a year is imho a great wage in Argentina that 95% do not earn. Most people live on other earnings ie . investment properties etc etc .

Fiscal can easily clear this up. If he meant $50K pesos per month, he's asked a very good question.

You are absolutely right about $50K USD per month being a great wage, but as you also indicated, that's the wage paid to doctors who work in public hospitals.

That's about the same amount of the average monthly Social Security benefit paid to retirees from the USA. (I'm using $1200 USD as a ballpark figure).

We've been having a discussion about expats "living well on $1500 USD" in recent months here.

PS: And I daresay most Argentines could stretch a budget of $50K pesos per month further than most expats, but as iwages are not keeping pace with inflation, that is becoming increasingly difficult from one month to the next.

The government pensions have evaporated with inflation. My wife retired 2 1/2 years ago with a pension after 25 years as director of a government hospital. The number of pesos she receives has increased by 90% but, even with the adjustments, the pensions dollar value has fallen by 40%.

With no end to inflation in sight, I wouldn't factor a government pension into retirement planning.

I just pulled your last post out of the one that you quoted so it could be read separately.

The only people who can "reasonably" factor a government pension into retirement planning are those who receive their pensions in dollars.

I only brought up the subject of pensions because I only know how much one Argentine friend of mine is presently receiving (and living on) in Argentina.

I wonder how much his pension of $20K pesos per month was a year ago,when prices of rice, beans, coffee, butter, etc was about half what it is today.

Back