And The Winner Is..............

Something needs to be done about the terrible state of the supermarkets here, dunno if its lack of competition, if they're colluding together to set crazy prices or its something else.

The 2 local carrefours both are lacking in range, haven't seen a quilmes stout or bock for quite a while in either. Tonnes of products missing from the shelves, its bizarre.

And I was complaining for not findind the barbaroja honey beer i like at Disco...

And I was complaining for not findind the barbaroja honey beer i like at Disco...

They occasionally have some of that in the carrefours

if it wasn't for Pinta Point i would have to riot!

https://www.facebook.com/cervezatirada/

If as Fred Mertz says tomatoes are selling at Carrefour in BA for $US3.90/kg (?US?), then that equals 3.40 euro. In Nice, France where I live, the most expensive price for tomatoes right now is 2.8 euro/kg. This means that BA's tomatoes are costing 21% more than the priciest tomatoes here. (Those cost too much for us. We eat a lot of tomatoes so we don't buy those ones.)

If Hannstew's lower figure of 34 pesos/kg is correct , that's 2.01 euro/kg. In France, the cheapest tomatoes are costing 1.8 euro/kg. Thus, Hannstew's lower figure is 11% more than what France's cheapest tomatoes cost.

Much produce sold where I live is grown in Spain and Morocco. That keeps prices lower here than what French produce costs.

Prices I've been told this year for ordinary-priced restaurant meals in BA also work out to me as being almost as much as equivalent meals cost here which shocked me. It all sounds to me higher than the usual 30% annual Argentine inflation. Am I correct thinking that? Of course, between that and shortages of some food products in BA, I then wonder if 'vulture funds' are causing this.

These days i'm paying a dollar a kilo in Chivilcoy good quality not quite export type but i'm ok with that, besides takes me a long time to go thru a kilo of tomatoes as they get in the way of the cow on my dinner plate! ;)

I am a vegetarian and like to cook For years I have been buying La Campaguola "Salsati" tomatoes in cans with a red and black label. This product, which I think was of the best quality seems to be extinct..
I haven't bought produce in a supermarket in years. I happened to see the tomatoes in Carrefour, as there was a huge display, close to the door. Where I live in Recoleta, I can walk to about10 produce stores and also buy from the women on the streets.
Awhile ago, I visited friends in the Canary Islands. They complained that produce was grown there, but all the good food was shipped to the mainland, leaving the locals with horrible stuff, as confirmed by Sockhopper.
I wouldn't be surprised if Argentina farmers aren't doing the same thing. First tomatoes and then other produce. Sad

Back