Angry Post Regarding Tazz Soho

TravisJames

Registered
This was one of the few times I broke my own personal rule:

Never eat in a place that is so dark, you can't read the menu.

And folks, this is a solid rule. If you can't read the menu, you aren't going to be able to see what you are eating. And if you aren't able to see what you are eating, you could end up eating some raw chicken. Yes. Raw. Chicken.

I had already quaffed a few pints before I started gnawing on my lukewarm chicken sandwich, when halfway through I realized something was terribly awry, and texturally incongruent to the rest of the chicken I had been consuming.

Yeah, that "sandwich" got sushi-like real quick.

I took my phone out to illuminate the situation and saw the middle 2-3 cm was raw RAW chicken. Not just under-cooked, but RAW chicken.

I told the waiter (admittedly, my friend told the waiter because my Spanish is terrible). Their solution was to throw it on the grill and serve it back to me.

I was not appeased, but they basically said there was nothing they could do since I had already started eating the sandwich, blah blah.

Put up a fuss, but then reluctantly paid for the salmonella abomination.

Let this be a warning!

I am not surprised as I have had undercooked chicken served to me on more than one occasion. What does surprise me is that this happens with both chicken and pork yet beef is almost always cooked till its almost dry and burned. And vegetables, when you can get them are ALWAYS over cooked so much that you can make mashed string beans or mashed cauliflower out of them......nursing home style as I call it.

As for the restaurant's attitude, the few times that kind of stuff has happened to me I go ape shit and threaten to report them to "bromatología" which is the equivalent of the food health and safety department. They back down immediately and remove the item from my bill. I once ordered a 1/4 grilled chicken and the inside was totally raw and pink. When I told the waiter he said "usted lo pidió así"(you ordered it that way) which of course was a total lie, I mean who would say "I'll have the 1/4 chicken, underdone please". If you want chicken cooked well, it's usually cooked properly if it's on a rotisserie or parrilla, don't trust baked or fried here.

Yeah, I've heard that 'you ordered it that way' line before! As if you would order chicken par-cooked.
Anyway, the worst that happened to me was finding an entire eyelash in a morcilla in a restaurant in Palermo Soho. I asked the waiter if it was supposed to be there (half joking), and he went white and said 'I'll go and ask the chef!'
Needless to say, I never went back.

Many of the places on Plaza Armenia are just overpriced tourist traps. Limbo, Minga, Muu, and Tazz all kinda suck. Sugar, Quimbobo, and Krishna are all pretty good.

My first week here I ordered tuna sushi at Limbo and they said 'we don't have red tuna, but we have regular tuna'. We said 'sure no problem' and were greeted with tuna from a can sushi - for 50 pesos - in 2009.

That has happened to me before--disgusting, or a least strange enough to be a turn off.

withersdavis said:
Many of the places on Plaza Armenia are just overpriced tourist traps. Limbo, Minga, Muu, and Tazz all kinda suck. Sugar, Quimbobo, and Krishna are all pretty good.

My first week here I ordered tuna sushi at Limbo and they said 'we don't have red tuna, but we have regular tuna'. We said 'sure no problem' and were greeted with tuna from a can sushi - for 50 pesos - in 2009.

This is not about canned tuna but something similar, I was invited to a business dinner to a really nice and quite expensive restaurant in Belgrano last year. Some of the menu items SOUNDED delightful and the bread selections were great, the wine superb, so I go ahead and order the salmon filled ravioli in lemon and white wine sauce with capers. Sounds good? Well guess what, THEY WERE MADE WITH TINNY TASTING CANNED SALMON.......and tasted like they were filled with tetra fish food flakes (which I once tasted when I was a kid during a game of truth or dare)

Back