Anorexia

laureltp said:
(snip)
Actually, a while ago I remember a French woman, Mireille Guiliano, published the book French Women Don't get Fat. Her basic diet plan that she proposed to American woman was to eat what you like but in moderation and to slow down and actually enjoy your food. A lot of people were offended by her, but after seeing an interview with her I didn't think she was as crazy as people made her out to be.

(snip) I think it's a good theory but I have always wondered if it's really how people eat in France or it was just this one woman's theory.

It's been my experience of France. In France people seem to value mealtimes more than in many other places; they care about what they eat and how they eat it and they give themselves time to enjoy their food. Office workers take a long lunch; shops and factories and supermarkets close for lunch - even cafes close for lunch, for goodness sake!

Attachments

• a meal in France.jpg
    a meal in France.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 18
I rarely see anorexic women here. Anywhere. I see more and more fat women. I wonder how old the information is. I do occasionally see someone who's grossly thin, but anorexia is a specific disease that is diagnosed by a percentage body weight below "normal/healthy" so being skinny isn't the same thing as being anorexic. Anorexia isn't, in other words, diagnosed by your opinion that the person is too thin. People here are as obsessed with weight in the same way people everywhere I've been are obsessed with weight...

I did see alot of skinny woman here a few years ago, and it was really noticeable in the summer when they had short sleeve shirts on.. the arms were so thin and ugly, but i havent noticed that in a long time.. And i dont see as many fat people here as i do in NZ, AU or the US. I think that is because people walk alot more here, mostly because of not owning a car.

davonz said:
I did see alot of skinny woman here a few years ago, and it was really noticeable in the summer when they had short sleeve shirts on.. the arms were so thin and ugly, but i havent noticed that in a long time.. And i dont see as many fat people here as i do in NZ, AU or the US. I think that is because people walk alot more here, mostly because of not owning a car.

I agree with you Davonz that there are way more obese people in Australia and New Zealand than here but saying that Argentina has become a land of overweight people myself included :eek:. The local diet is high release carbohydrate based with a tremendous use of sugar in deserts and all meals. Also I have noticed that people here drink coca cola like water and its much more prevalent to do this and with energy drinks that are sugar laden this is a time bomb.

I sympathise with people who have anorexia and understand its a problem but I believe that obesity is a much larger probem that has wider health effects and causes more deaths and more attention should be spent on education and enforcement of healthy school meals .

In the 6 months Ive been here I've seen 3 women who were painfully thin...dunno if it was anorexia or Bulimia or dome other condition.2 of them I saw in the gym workingout,I felt like going over and talking to them,but I refrained as it wouldve been in poor taste.

In Thailand I knew a woman who trained everyday.She was German and we got to talking and she couldnt understand why she was so skinny.I asked her what her diet was post-workout.She said she pretty much drank sweetened Coffee helper and thats it...I was like WTF?!? Some people are just clueless,

pericles said:
I remember 7 years ago noticing anorexia on the streets here but now it is extremely rare and there is a noticeable fattening of the population. Laurel did you know that Argentina is the 13th fattest country on the earth from 194 countries . Click on link

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds-fattest-countries-forbeslife-cx_ls_0208worldfat.html

You realise that link is three years old? Obviously that doesn't mean your statement that you see more obese people is invalid, but I'd be interested to see some more up-to-date figures, and also some that are broken down into age groups. As a (naturally) very slim person myself even though I do eat plenty, I definitely notice how slim the vast majority of Argentine girls my own age (mid-20s) are. Some of that might be down to the fact that my home country, the UK, is one of the most obese nations on earth these days though.

laureltp said:
Actually, a while ago I remember a French woman, Mireille Guiliano, published the book French Women Don't get Fat. Her basic diet plan that she proposed to American woman was to eat what you like but in moderation and to slow down and actually enjoy your food. A lot of people were offended by her, but after seeing an interview with her I didn't think she was as crazy as people made her out to be.

I really do try to eat healthy but once in a while when I really want some chocolate or something I remind myself of her, eat just a little and really enjoy it. I think it's a good theory but I have always wondered if it's really how people eat in France or it was just this one woman's theory.

It makes sense. The brain doesn't get a message saying 'your stomach's full' until a while after your stomach has actually filled up (not very long a delay, but enough). Essentially if you're a person who eats quickly, you keep eating through that gap and that's why some people end up over-eating. If you slow down a little and enjoy your food more, and stop when the fullness kicks in (having not eaten through the gap between stomach being full and brain realising stomach is full), you'll be piling on less excess.

All this talk of food is making me hungry...

mmmm in my opinion, the canons of beauty have installed more and more strong and extend thanks to globalization, consumerism and capitalism.
Being Argentina a country with many women with curves, in comparison with other countries, perhaps a diet and healthy weight in a curvilinear body does not fit the stereotype that has been sold to us and that may lead people to suffer from anorexia or an ED to be as those who we are told are the way we should look like. Though of course, this is much more complex than that. not just women can suffer from anorexia, men can too.
And it's not anorexia a disease that can be awarded only to fashion, eating disorders are clearly attached to psychological thematics. in women I think highly related to sexuality and womanhood.

pericles said:
I travel all over the Capital Federal and obesity is a much larger problem these days.
Obesity is a larger problem. What a great pun, Pericles :)

Seriously, with all sorts of secondary symptoms such as type-2 diabetes, heart disease, circulation/ulceration etc etc according to this BBC documentary about obesity in Argentina http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t24qy/Big_Meets_Bigger_Argentina/ it's poverty-related and pretty much hidden from the world of middle-class Argentina. Note: You will need to use a proxy server to view this in Argentina. Note also: My own personal health warning: if ever you needed an example of the BBC dumbing down its content, this is it. It's presented for people with an IQ of around 5 and the attention-span of a gnat. Apart from that the facts are probably more-or-less on target.

pericles said:
I remember 7 years ago noticing anorexia on the streets here but now it is extremely rare and there is a noticeable fattening of the population.

I travel all over the Capital Federal and obesity is a much larger problem these days.

Statement 1 (anorexia now is extremely rare) = False. Your eyes may be telling you on thing but this is statistically untrue:

See the following:
http://www.clarin.com/sociedad/salud/titulo_0_297570329.htmlHay un 50 % más de consultas por bulimia y anorexia que hace 10 años

13/07/10

The article above says there's actually been a 3% increase in anorexia from 9% - 12% in the areas included in an official study:

[...] En un relevamiento que realizó ALUBA hace diez años en escuelas secundarias de Capital, Tucumán y Santa Fe, entre otras ciudades, había identificado que el 9% de las adolescentes padecía bulimia o anorexia. En cambio, la actualización de este año arrojó que el 12% sufre alguno de los dos trastornos.

Statement 2 (noticeable fattening of population) -- I'm sure this is true, but didn't bother looking up an article...

As in the States, crappy sugary foods are very cheap here so people will grab a pack of cookies instead of fruits. Also, frankly, at some point the idea that a single grilled onion and one red pepper equalled enough vegetables for 6 people had to catch up to the locals!

Back