Anorexia

Laurel, I agree; I’m glad you brought this up. I think it is scary and that that guy is out of touch with what I think is a pretty frightening beauty culture here. And this is a common experience for me of guys here, being way more out of touch with women's experience than in the US where I'm from (not saying they're not mean or bad, just out of touch with their female counterparts). It is one thing to feel good about yourself and take care of yourself, to choose to be healthy and/or well-dressed, but what I have seen here is really different - and I have been very careful not to project.

I saw another article that clarified the stats are for young people, and of course, it is a disorder that particularly occur in young folks, particularly young women. Being in the university, in a program where almost all of my colleagues at least work in a business and many directly for various government Ministerios, I am not surprised at all, as I see so many younger women very worried about their appearance and weight. There's a lot of pressure professionally to be attractive in order to be successful, to have buena presencia. When I asked a young store clerk in Cordoba why so many stores carry only small sizes and how Argentine girls stay so slender and pretty, her first response was not what I expected - for her to say, "oh thanks." She remarked right away that there was a darker side to it, that a lot of girls have eating disorders. I think this speaks to a problem that goes beyond the eating disorders, only once it reaches a level that being skinny and pretty can be pathologized because it starts "visibly" damaging someone's health, it suddenly becomes visible.

I think that it should be pointed out that obesity rate stats don't necessarily say anything about the number of women (and some men) suffering with an eating disorder...and how many fat or skinny women we see walking around on the streets is something very separate from women in the stats suffering from eating disorders. Plus, we can "see" some of the more obvious cases of women who are very skinny and "out" about their eating disorders, but there are plenty of women you could not necessarily pick out depending on the severity of their disorder.

Interesting to read the figures and peoples experiences of this in BA. I´ve seen skinny, perfect bodied and obese people here. The diet of most Argentines, to me, is horrible but it seems to work for many people.

Eating disorders are such a big issue but the people really need to snap out of them and get a grip. I think from a young age people need better education on nutrition and fitness. There isn´t a need for anyone to be overweight or underweight.

HotYogaTeacher said:
I rarely see anorexic women here. Anywhere. I see more and more fat women. I wonder how old the information is. I do occasionally see someone who's grossly thin, but anorexia is a specific disease that is diagnosed by a percentage body weight below "normal/healthy" so being skinny isn't the same thing as being anorexic. Anorexia isn't, in other words, diagnosed by your opinion that the person is too thin. People here are as obsessed with weight in the same way people everywhere I've been are obsessed with weight...

Yeah no hating on people like me who work out and keep thin and healthy... Put down the deep fried steak and go for a jog... or just have a bunch of sex, the best exercise ever!

I read an article in an Argentine magazine yesterday that cited almost 50% of adolescent girls in Argentina struggle with an eating disorder.
I've met lot of women in Buenos Aires who don't eat enough for the sake of being thin. With summer on the way there has been an even bigger resurgence of these types of attitudes. (not just with women, men too)
I think it is interesting - in the USA our standard of beauty seems to be much more athletic and muscular, whereas here it seems like people only care about being thin - not particularly fit or healthy.

It's not specifically Anorexia-related, but I'm part of an organisation in the UK, www.AnyBody.org, that will be holding three international body-image summits in March 2011 (London, New York and Buenos Aires). The Buenos Aires one is going to be used as a springboard for the enforcement of the Ley de Talles (Size Law) in Capital Federal.
We're currently accepting proposals from artists, speakers, activists, plus-size models and local businesses that would be willing to sponsor the event. If anyone is interested in checking us out, we just set up our Facebook page today! , the AnyBody website or feel free to send me a PM!

One of my male friends on his first visit here commented not only on the facial beaty of the Argentine girls but on their booty...even skinny girls here have a booty..or is it the skin tight trousers just showing those peachy bottoms of to their best..
I can only agree with HotYoga teacher, females all over the world from an increasingly young age have eating disorders and Argentina is just part of the pack. Addiction to beauty treatments and then plastic surgery is probably more noticable here and as worrying for both men and women alike. The whole fake picture of women as presented at newstands is laughable and almost depressing as both women and men seem to buy into it and try to fulfill what is quite frankly unrealistic. I was brwing through Hola or Gente magazine at the hairdressers last week and there was some 35yr old vedette who recently had her first baby, wearing basically nothing and declaring how her sex life was better than ever since the baby arrived X weeks ago and how her husband and her were at it all day...You have to feel sorry for people so enslaved to these types of ideals that they just cant seem to stop and smell the coffee..or maybe even drink it with full fat milk and a big mac to go with it!

FAT PEOPLE:

Most of the overweight to obese tourists I see down here are from Brazil. They are often fairly tall as well. But just because they're tall, doesn't mean that their proportionately sized.

I'm often in and around the Recoleta Cemetery and La Boca and am just amazed at the size of so many of the Brazilians these days. If you're on Calle Florida, that's another good place to see this. Since mid December this city was just overrun with Brazilians. Their currency is strong and I'm thinking that unhealthy food products are extremely cheap right now.

Of course this isn't all Brazilians, but you can definitely see that Brazilians are the Yankees of South America.

SKINNY PEOPLE:

Subte D Platform on

74344_10150118083602538_567077537_7859176_1237734_n.jpg

74344_10150118083607538_567077537_7859177_2185260_n.jpg

Anorexia is out there. The more you're on the street, the easier it is to see. Also, it's easier to spot in the warmer months than in the cooler months. Anorexics don't produce much body heat, so they stay covered up further into the spring and then they cover up again starting earlier in the fall than others.

This was from November 4th.

laureltp said:
This topic has been bothering me since the last conversation I had with an Argentine guy. I told him that I found it sad and scary that there is such a problem with eating disorders here. He told me no, the woman are naturally thin and if we want to talk about eating disorders we should look at the obesity problem in the U.S. I was like "WTF???"

He has a point. If you are saying anorexia is 'more important' or 'more concerning' as a health issue....well it really isn't. At least in the US, deaths related to being overweight kill more people than anorexia (eg cardiovascular disease & diabetes).

File:Causes_of_death_by_age_group.png

I would wager anorexia is not a leading cause of death in Argentina as well. Not sure if you look at those statistics by gender and age group though.

I always think it is strange that being overweight does not spark the same outrage that anorexia does.

And as far as observing women here, I really see a huge variety and definitely not the whole street being filled with super skinny women.

Anyway, all this coming from a naturally skinny woman who can eat everyone under the table....and who is tired of being told by fat people to 'Eat something!' haha

"I always think it is strange that being overweight does not spark the same outrage that anorexia does."

Anorexia leads to death far more rapidly than obesity, a male friend of mine died of this disease aged 27 after suffering from it for a couple of years. He was tall and quite a large build before. It's totally devastating psychologically as well as physically.

Celia said:
"I always think it is strange that being overweight does not spark the same outrage that anorexia does."

Anorexia leads to death far more rapidly than obesity, a male friend of mine died of this disease aged 27 after suffering from it for a couple of years. He was tall and quite a large build before. It's totally devastating psychologically as well as physically.

Yes it does, so it is more outrageous because it kills people faster? Sure it is devastating psychologically and physically. I think diseases related to being overweight and obese are as well. Two very large family members of mine have adult-onset diabetes. They can't move around very well; they are constantly going to the ER for diabetes-related problems. One is currently being considered for having her foot amputated. The other is having serious vision problems.
They are both very depressed and devastated by this, to say the least. They are sick with an eating disorder as well.

So yes both are terrible, but I think it is much worse to live a long time with a terrible disease than to die quickly from it. That might sound cold and if so, so it is. And I was talking about the actual AMOUNT of people who die from anorexia vs diseases rel to being overweight/obese.

Being overweight or obese is far more deadly for far more people than anorexia. It doesn't matter if it is faster or not.

The issue of anorexia is more 'sensational' though. It is a sad disease, certainly, with lots of terrible and gruesome visible effects.

I was responding to the OP's sort of comparison to the more-concerning health issue that she/he claimed anorexia to be in comp to overweight/obese.

*I'm not saying anorexia isn't outrage-worthy. But take a minute and look at what really is a danger to a lot of people. We could have the same conversation about the real dangers of drug use vs being fat. Everyone is outraged about drug use, but not about one of the #1 killers in the Western world.

Back