Anorexia

@laureltp an 2005 article from "The Christian Science Monitor" is not a "good" source, sorry.

So http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mor_eat_dis-mortality-eating-disorders but it's for 2004. So you should make more research. Anorexia doesn't kill so many people!

And before speaking about something you obviously don't know -----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexia_nervosa

Why are you revolted about anorexia? What do you want to do? Prohibit anorexia?

I'm not revolted by anorexic. It's a modern disease and it's not really important what kills more people when you are in the front of a sick person...

Anorexia is dramatic but obesity as a part as the consumer society has really more impact: big cars (SUV), no walking, eating lot of meat and process food. How you said people who are obese live longer and so cost a LOT for every body through medical assistance. So selfishly I don't really care if 10 people than I don't know died from anorexia every year but I'm definitely against fat people.

Also anorexia is not caused so much by beauty standards than a need to control SOMETHING in your environment.
Many years ago I studied anorexia from a cultural anthropology standpoint. There is an article called 'Anorexia Nervosa: Psychopathology as the Crystallization of Culture' or something equally baroque haha. The author explores this idea (among many others), it is an interesting read if you can find it.

Ashley said:
It's not specifically Anorexia-related, but I'm part of an organisation in the UK, www.AnyBody.org, that will be holding three international body-image summits in March 2011 (London, New York and Buenos Aires). The Buenos Aires one is going to be used as a springboard for the enforcement of the Ley de Talles (Size Law) in Capital Federal.
We're currently accepting proposals from artists, speakers, activists, plus-size models and local businesses that would be willing to sponsor the event. If anyone is interested in checking us out, we just set up our Facebook page today! , the AnyBody website or feel free to send me a PM!

From the Ley de Talles (translated):
"The legislation aims to contribute to the fight against bulimia and anorexia..."

I understand the motive to want to help people, but forcing clothing stores/manufacturers to provide larger sized clothing or be fined?
The time and resources spent drafting and promoting this legislation could perhaps be better used to actually fight some root causes of anorexia.

I have never known a person with an eating disorder who spoke about it and said they started starving or purging because they couldn't fit into clothes at the shops.

Anorexia is a problem but in the context of being obese it is like a drop in the ocean . The CDC of the USA estimates that 300,000 thousand people die each year in the USA from obesity related illnesses . In some societies where obesity is rampant the life expectacy is 20 years less than countries like Japan and Western Europe.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0675/is_3_19/ai_75085430/

Tonga, Western Samoa and most of the Pacific islands life expectacy is low due to one reason only obesity and overeating. These countries are not poor and certainly their governments should make the national health of their citizens a top priority.

In Argentina less than 100 people a year die from Anorexia and many of these are drug related and not lack of food. People are dying at 100s of times more due to too much food and bad quality food.

This is the problem that many societies must confront and SOON.

Nolan said:
think of the dwarves

LOL :D
They will not have any pants!!!

*edit: thing is, I don't see any larger people running around here naked...though that would be awesome. So there are already clothes available for every size...?

muppditt said:
LOL :D
They will not have any pants!!!

*edit: thing is, I don't see any larger people running around here naked...though that would be awesome. So there are already clothes available for every size...?

Of COURSE larger sizes exist! However, you most likely have to go to a shop that has ¨talles especiales¨. Now, how can calling your size a ¨special¨ size NOT make you feel like you really need to lose some weight? I always wondered about that. Normal people who happen to be larger, where do they shop? I guess they could buy talles especiales, but if you´re not fat it must be really insulting to have to shop in the special, basically plus, size section.

As far as I understood, the ley de talles intended to force these small boutiques to offer more than just ´talle unico´, as if that were the ´correct´ size for fashion and if you don´t fit into it, well you are just too much of a fatty for fashion, well aren´t you. I totally believe in making it illegal to sell only talle unico, particularly if the talle unico is ridiculously small. I use a size small in US and I STILL have trouble getting into some of this talle unico crap, and yes it pisses me off, but thankfully I can look at it from another society´s standpoint and say ¨wow, it´s really screwed up that girls are held to these standards here¨.

Note: I am talking about the small, cheap, ´fashion´ boutique stores, not name-brand stores. I know name-brand stores do carry more than one size already, but some of us cannot afford to shop name-brand for all of our clothing needs :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, this reminds me of a time I was in one of those cheap clothing stores and a girl walks in and starts looking at a dress. The vendedora, oh so kind and observant, looks at the girl and notices she is a little heavy. She procedes to inform the girl ¨es talle único, eh?¨ and the girl shyly thanks the saleswoman and leaves the store. Is it really necessary to humiliate people that way? Yikes...

That´s my two cents on the topic, anyway.

KatharineAnn said:
Of COURSE larger sizes exist! However, you most likely have to go to a shop that has ¨talles especiales¨. Now, how can calling your size a ¨special¨ size NOT make you feel like you really need to lose some weight? I always wondered about that. Normal people who happen to be larger, where do they shop? I guess they could buy talles especiales, but if you´re not fat it must be really insulting to have to shop in the special, basically plus, size section.

As far as I understood, the ley de talles intended to force these small boutiques to offer more than just ´talle unico´, as if that were the ´correct´ size for fashion and if you don´t fit into it, well you are just too much of a fatty for fashion, well aren´t you. I totally believe in making it illegal to sell only talle unico, particularly if the talle unico is ridiculously small. I use a size small in US and I STILL have trouble getting into some of this talle unico crap, and yes it pisses me off, but thankfully I can look at it from another society´s standpoint and say ¨wow, it´s really screwed up that girls are held to these standards here¨.

Note: I am talking about the small, cheap, ´fashion´ boutique stores, not name-brand stores. I know name-brand stores do carry more than one size already, but some of us cannot afford to shop name-brand for all of our clothing needs :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, this reminds me of a time I was in one of those cheap clothing stores and a girl walks in and starts looking at a dress. The vendedora, oh so kind and observant, looks at the girl and notices she is a little heavy. She procedes to inform the girl ¨es talle único, eh?¨ and the girl shyly thanks the saleswoman and leaves the store. Is it really necessary to humiliate people that way? Yikes...

That´s my two cents on the topic, anyway.

Ah yeah, I didn't know about the talle unico thing...? Is it really that common though? I went to some boutique shops in one of those big malls, it wasn't that cheap though...they had many sizes.
Where are these cheap boutiques? :) Anyway, talle unico seems like a dumb idea from a sales revenue standpoint! So they can only sell clothes to a limited range of people?

And to Nolan who mentioned that he knows some girls who started purging etc. because they could not fit into their old clothes... yes certainly a girl's body size in relation to clothing size might trigger some of these behaviors. But it is not due to the lack of availability of nice clothing that fits due to clothing manufacturers/distributors. It is because she has the idea that she needs to fit into THAT clothing size that is unrealistic for her body.

Back