Another Mass Shooting In The Us...

From personal experience i have witnessed a number of cases of people i know, which were very much against guns across the board, until something happened to them, either a mugging or a break in or a robbery... and after some short period of time, some actually came up to me to ask for advise as for what kind of gun they would need ''to protect'' their family, mind you these were the same folks they would get red in the face explaining to me how useless firearms were at the present day ..... it is amazing how a little incident will change the minds of the majority of people who were against guns ....'' but now it's different'' according to their statement, so apparently , after something happens they changed their minds , being that now they felt themselves how it feels to be all civilized and have the latest cell phone and still be victimized...
This , again , from my personal experience, i'm not important enough to venture a possible solution to mass shootings in a far away country were i don't reside anymore......but one thing is for damn certain, if i'm ever caught in the middle of a mass shooting, i'd rather be armed , and one more thing, to those dreaming of banning all weapons, please get real, weapons will be available no matter what and if you have any doubts , tell me how many commercials have you seen about cocaine.... and how long ago was banned, yet....... from what i hear the coke biz is booming still

I just believe in facts based on unbiased scientific studies, while you believe in the American Rifle Man and Fox News stories. I don't decide what's news and what's not, I look at facts, not "news". But I also learned that it's not worth discussing topics with people who will stick to their opinion ignoring all evidence against them, so let's just agree to disagree...

I don't believe I mentioned Fox News as a source and I do believe that THE AMERICAN RIFLEMAN is but one source; their sources for the column THE ARMED CITIZEN comes from whatever news source is in the city or locale where the event happened.

I fail to see you posting any "evidence" against what I've posted about the topic; but it's obvious that your opinion is based on the left of center Democratic Party mantra. I won't agree to disagree with you; that's a typical response from someone who is lacking any really substance to support their opinion.

I will however stop replying to your comments; it isn't worth my time or the forum's bandwidth.

I don't believe I mentioned Fox News as a source and I do believe that THE AMERICAN RIFLEMAN is but one source; their sources for the column THE ARMED CITIZEN comes from whatever news source is in the city or locale where the event happened.

I fail to see you posting any "evidence" against what I've posted about the topic; but it's obvious that your opinion is based on the left of center Democratic Party mantra. I won't agree to disagree with you; that's a typical response from someone who is lacking any really substance to support their opinion.

I will however stop replying to your comments; it isn't worth my time or the forum's bandwidth.

Thanks, you will do us a favor as you seem not capable of either reading or understanding the sources/studies I linked in several posts. So keep reading your rifleman and armed citizen magazines - you are definitely the target group...

I think it is quite likely that if HRC is elected president there will be lawsuits to restrict gun ownership nationwide to members of state militias.

Perhaps that might be a good idea. At least it looks like complying with the original amendment.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Although I said I wasn't going to reply I think it's necessary to comment on you post directed at me.

Let's see thorsten you provide a link to a Harvard website and reference it several times. The trouble with the Internet, is for every report or article that says one thing, complete with "statistics" to support the claim)s) there are several other websites, with conflicting statistics that debunk the other website. One website is hardly enough to validate or invalidate the issue. Just because you think it's the cats ass do you think that we should bow down to your opinion? Get real.

I do not regularly read read the NRA'S magazine, THE AMERICAN RIFLEMAN or other "armed citizen magazines" - I mentioned that magazine as one source for information about how normal people have been able to use a legally owned gun to stop a threat. Merely Google or used some other search engine to find many instances, posted on a lot of different source websites, of people using firearms to defend themselves, their families, other people in peril, or their homes and businesses.

Me definitely the "target group"? What group is that?

StevePalermo - the framers of the Constitution spent a lot of time and debate on the 2nd Amendment. The "Well Regulated Militia" they refer to are the people; as opposed to the military. One of the reasons and it is well documented in the papers written by the authors of the Constitution wanted the people to have the ability to stop a tyrannical government from abusing the populace. In almost all countries where the government ruled the country with absolute tyranny and wholesale slaughter of its citizens one of the first things the government did was to outlaw private gun ownership. Think about Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Idi Amin, et al.

the framers of the Constitution spent a lot of time and debate on the 2nd Amendment. The "Well Regulated Militia" they refer to are the people; as opposed to the military.

Yes, I get that. But I don't consider that random nut jobs with mental health issues constitutes a 'well regulated militia' . An example would be the Texas woman who was a fanatical gun enthusiast who one minute said no-one would take away her guns that she would protect her family with, and then shortly after shot and killed her own two daughters.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3661442/Texas-mom-shot-daughters-mental-crisis-involved-previous-altercations-home-cops-say.html

Let's see thorsten you provide a link to a Harvard website and reference it several times. The trouble with the Internet, is for every report or article that says one thing, complete with "statistics" to support the claim)s) there are several other websites, with conflicting statistics that debunk the other website. One website is hardly enough to validate or invalidate the issue. Just because you think it's the cats ass do you think that we should bow down to your opinion? Get real.

Apparently you still don't understand the difference between a random website on the internet and several peer-reviewed scientific studies from a research group focussing on firearm research.

There has been enormous debate about the 2nd Amendment, what the framers of the Constitution were thinking, and if that is still relevant today. Time after time judges and legal scholars have said that the original intent still stands and is still applicable in our society today.

However, I will point out that we've moved from a conversation about mass shootings and how to stop them to general gun control / elimination.

So, let's talk about people I know - close to me - with personal experience of violent crimes. My (now) ex-wife's father was shot and killed point blank in his grocery store by two robbers when she was 15. She never blamed the gun. She blamed the two a$$holes. She was happy that we had firearms in the house and I knew how to use them. She was also happy that I knew that a firearm is NEVER the first line of defense.

A very, very good friend of mine in Philadelphia was a young woman who lived alone. She confided in me at one point that someone was stalking her. She asked me if she should get a gun. I hesitated, suggesting that getting a gun - and then actually using it - was a huge responsibility. I suggested she get a dog however the apartment building where she lived didn't allow them. We were in conversation about me training her to shoot. Meanwhile, she went to the police who were supposed to be keeping an eye on the house. They didn't. One night the guy who was stalking her cut through the screen window, repeatedly raped her, then wrapped her in a rug on the floor, put her in the trunk of his car and drove to New Jersey where he dumped her - still alive - into the Cooper River. Her body was found 2 days later. Do you know how often I wish I had taken her to the gun range the day she told me of the issue?

In 1993 I lived in Bala Cynwyd, PA, and affluent neighborhood along what is called "The Main Line" in Philadelphia. I heard strange noises downstairs after midnight and went to investigate. There were two men trying to break into my back kitchen door. Standing inside I cocked my 12-gauge and said I would shoot them if the door opened. They left. Two weeks later two guys broke into a house four blocks away and terrorized a family of 5 for hours at gun point. The police were not able to link the two events but I have my suspicions.

I have other verified events but the point is do you think people who have these experiences are going to be very willing to discuss a ban on firearms?

Back