Another Mass Shooting In The Us...

Semigoodlooking - the question was raised saying to the effect that citizens with guns don't stop bad guys. They do.

On the issue of "scientific studies" especially on gun control/gun related issues for everyone stating one result there are probably two with differing opinions; and not from the NRA.

However I'm done ith this discussion other then there's an unanswered question I asked several times, quite appropriate to BAEXPATS - what will or can you do in BA if a violent criminal - with or without a gun but some weapon breaks into your home or apartment?

I think your first statement "citizens with guns don't stop bad guys. They do" has been thoroughly debunked on here for the nonsense that it is.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]One of the reasons why you can't see it is perhaps explained by semigodlookin's previous comment, "A scientific study is much more reliable of course, I am not sure why you have failed to acknowledge it. Should a peer-reviewed study be treated as the definitive answer? No, but it should be a first port of call before heading to see what was reported on Fox, CNN, or whatever reputable news source you have in mind."[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]As for the pros or cons of having a gun in your house, the evidence (from peer-reviewed studies not anecdotal evidence) does show that having guns in the house is more dangerous to the occupants than not having them. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]This is one of those arguments where people who love guns are never going to be persuaded by the evidence, so I'm out of here too. [/background]

Semigoodlooking - the question was raised saying to the effect that citizens with guns don't stop bad guys. They do.

On the issue of "scientific studies" especially on gun control/gun related issues for everyone stating one result there are probably two with differing opinions; and not from the NRA.

However I'm done ith this discussion other then there's an unanswered question I asked several times, quite appropriate to BAEXPATS - what will or can you do in BA if a violent criminal - with or without a gun but some weapon breaks into your home or apartment?

How 'bout calling 911 ?

How 'bout calling 911 ?

The emergency number for the police in Argentina is 101, but while you are making the call you would be vulnerable to attack.

Waiting for the poilice to arrive could come with a very dear price.

Once an intruder is in your home it would be foolish to assume he is not armed.

At that point you will be lucky if you are too and can get to your weapon of choice in time.

I know this from personal experience in my home (actually in my bedroom at 5 AM) in Mexico.

The intruder came within several feet of me but fled rapidly when he saw that I was dressed and prepared to defend myself. At 6'2" and 190lbs. I towered over him.

Thirty minutes later, with knife in hand, he was able to enter the house above mine and fought with the 64 y.o. ex US Marine who grabbed his hands and turned the knife around, plunging it into the intruder's stomach. He fled, leaving a trail of blood.

Neither I nor my neighbor owned guns as they are illegal in Mexico.The outcome in both cases could have been quite different. We were both extremely fortunate not to have been injured or killed. The intruder (who was a Mexican national) told my friend "I will kill you." in English as they fought.

Another friend was not so lucky. In the middle of the night three shots were heard coming from his house. He was found with one bullet wound to the head and a gun beside his body.

The police said it was a suicide, but he did not own a gun. Perhaps he missed the first two times, but I find that highly unlikely. I've never heard of anyone who wanted to kill himself taking practice shots.
emo32.gif

Sorry Steve but you and others keep harping on the "scientific study" thought; I'll stick with the documented proof as published in print and electronic media that good guys with guns do stop bad guys.

So I disagree with you; as I know studies (especially related to gun control) can and often do contain flawed data and are manipulated for their out come. Sort of like how the US unemployment numbers are manipulated.

Done discussing this.

Sorry Steve but you and others keep harping on the "scientific study" thought; I'll stick with the documented proof as published in print and electronic media that good guys with guns do stop bad guys.

So I disagree with you; as I know studies (especially related to gun control) can and often do contain flawed data and are manipulated for their out come. Sort of like how the US unemployment numbers are manipulated.

Done discussing this.

You've got me in the wrong group, amigo.

The only reason I did not have a gun in Mexico is because it was illegal and also very difficult to buy one.

If I had owned a gun and the intruder had come even one step closer to me I am sure I would have used it.

The friend who died of a gunshot woud to the head did not own a gun. I'm sure he would have wanted to have one while the first two shots were being fired.
emo32.gif

You've got me in the wrong group, amigo.

The only reason I did not have a gun in Mexico is because it was illegal and also very difficult to buy one.

If I had owned a gun and the intruder had come even one step closer to me I am sure I would have used it.

The friend who died of a gunshot woud to the head did not own a gun. I'm sure he would have wanted to have one while the first two shots were being fired.
emo32.gif
I think he was talking to the other Steve.
So where are we on this in light of Nice? Should we ban trucks?

No, but if he had had multiple fast shooting guns easily available to him you can bet the body count would have been even worse and he may well have just gone on a shooting rampage instead.

Sorry to continue this thread with the "Nice flavor" but I must respond to mis-informed logic. Ejcot en argentina do you own a gun? Have you ever gone hunting? Have you ever fired a weapon? I would bet the answer to the questions - given your comments - would be no.

Do you know how hard it is to hit someone with a lethal shot while they are running? Even with an automatic weapon it is difficult. They don't aim themselves. The assailants used the proper weapon for a crowded street - a truck. You wouldn't know what was happening until it was either very close or right on you. Gunshots are a pretty clear sign to get running.

Just about the only other weapon that would cause a higher body count would be explosives. Anyone inside the over-pressure wave would be vulnerable to lethal trauma.

My prayers go to the families and friends of the victims. So sad. So sad.

Oklahoma City - Ryder truck
9/11 - 4 planes
Nice - Truck

Does anyone really need these death machines to get around?

Do you know how hard it is to hit someone with a lethal shot while they are running? Even with an automatic weapon it is difficult.

But if you want to kill a lot of people, and don't care who, and go to events which are attended by a huge number of people, isn't just shooting into the crowd good enough? I would think so.

Bob

Back