Another Mass Shooting In The Us...

Hi ElQueso:

Democracy has failed to address our sharply clashing BELIEFS.

2 ways to go about it:
If Democracy is to survive we need to walk in the others` shoes (hard to do and next to impossible ).
We can not pretend that Blacks in America are on equal footage.
It`s a history and hundreds of years baggage that can`t be denied or swept under the rug .
It`s nagging and WILL STAY nagging, till we walk in the others` shoes (if Democracy is to survive).
Otherwise:
Just forget it, ... declare Democracy dead and start separated and segregated homogeneous societies.

I full heartedly agree with every point in your post.
Only, .... I don`t know why you personalized my argument !

This argument is not specific to Race issue only, ... it applies to Abortion, Guns, ... what-have -you !

And a quick comment on 'Black Lives Matter' mentioned in El Queso's post. I'm frustrated too, that so many cops are immune to prosecution for their murderous behaviour. Too many critics assume the prefix 'Only', rather than the suffix "Too". But that should be on another thread.
you're right, probably a topic for another thread, but I have to ask: I can't remember where you're from, but have you lived with such racist policies as Affirmative Action? Started well before Black Lives Matter.

Having said that, I'm completely with you about the police. Having been the [white] victim of police brutality (perpetrated by white cops), I despise cops who act with arrogance and violence.

But at the same time, I have a good friend who lives here and is an ex-cop from Florida (though originally New York, cop in both places). He isn't racist, as near as I can tell, but he talks often about the great number of problems he and his fellow cops had in black neighborhoods as compared to other neighborhoods. They are distinct places, as he tells it. The violence was much greater in poor black neighborhoods than in poor white neighborhoods. I believe that is because too many black people have spent too many decades waiting in lines for government help and being told none of this is their fault, etc, etc. They are told I'm the enemy, which is ridiculous.

The problem is two-fold. Arrogant police, many of whom are ex-military returning from wars, who act like they are fighting a war at home. The other, half of a country keeping black people under the government's thumb because they are owed something that the rest of us aren't. That's not love, it's revenge and hate and bad policy that causes mroe of the same from the other "side".

Hi ElQueso:

Democracy failed to address our sharply conflicting BELIEFS.

2 ways to go about it:
If we want Democracy to survive we need to walk in others` shoes (hard and next to impossible ).
We can not pretend that Blacks in America are on equal footage. It`s a history of hundreds of years baggage that can`t be swept under the rug.
Otherwise:
Just forget it, ... declare Democracy dead and start separation and segregation solution.

Our thoughts are on the same page, I think.
I don`t know why you personalized my argument !
Khairy, it wasn't my intention to personalize your argument in a bad way. But I don't think we need to walk in anyone else's shoes - I think we need to simply live and let live. Maybe we are saying something in a different manner but meaning the same thing. But when talking about walking in a black man's shoes - I can't do that for a number of reasons and I don't really want to.

I don't understand too many of the people (black, white, Latino, Asian, whatever) who live in slums and complain that the government doesn't help them enough and demand special programs and such to "lift them out of poverty". I put myself through college (living in a black slum in Austin, BTW) working three freaking jobs (at the same time): 1) busboy, 2) changing oil at a Fast Lube (still have a faded scar or two on my arms, after 30 years, where the hot mufflers and catalytic converters burned me) and 3) assembling games in a very small factory. I worked my ass off and went to school in my (very small) free time. I didn't even finish my degree! When I went to work for more than putting myself through school, I made sure I worked harder than anyone else so the boss would see me. I came to work on time, I didn't show up drunk or stoned. I left late. I found things to do that no one told me to do to show initiative. I was taught drafting as an apprentice to a black man, who was a very good friend of mine for a number of years until he died. I ended up not liking that work so much and decided to change careers. I taught myself programming and ended up managing software development for the (at the time) world's largest offshore drilling company - but I started out doing grunt work, converting hard-copy documents to electronic form and I wrote my first program after hours for the purchasing department when I over heard the purchasing director talking about a need they had. At that company, I worked alongside a black guy who took advantage of Affirmative Action, let everyone know if he ever got fired he'd make a "federal case" of it, and screwed off all the time - and he made more money than I did, too.

It takes work. In the meantime, I'm not rich, but I make a good living. I have had some of the worst luck when it comes to timing and businesses that I've put together that have fallen apart for one reason or another in the last 15-16 years, but I don't give up and sit back and cry for the government to help me - I keep going.

So no, I don't want to walk a mile in a black man's shoes - i want him to sit at the table with me and enjoy life like I do, even though I work so hard I often don't have time for non-work related activities.

you're right, probably a topic for another thread, but I have to ask: I can't remember where you're from, but have you lived with such racist policies as Affirmative Action? Started well before Black Lives Matter.

Having said that, I'm completely with you about the police. Having been the [white] victim of police brutality (perpetrated by white cops), I despise cops who act with arrogance and violence.

But at the same time, I have a good friend who lives here and is an ex-cop from Florida (though originally New York, cop in both places). He isn't racist, as near as I can tell, but he talks often about the great number of problems he and his fellow cops had in black neighborhoods as compared to other neighborhoods. They are distinct places, as he tells it. The violence was much greater in poor black neighborhoods than in poor white neighborhoods. I believe that is because too many black people have spent too many decades waiting in lines for government help and being told none of this is their fault, etc, etc. They are told I'm the enemy, which is ridiculous.

The problem is two-fold. Arrogant police, many of whom are ex-military returning from wars, who act like they are fighting a war at home. The other, half of a country keeping black people under the government's thumb because they are owed something that the rest of us aren't. That's not love, it's revenge and hate and bad policy that causes mroe of the same from the other "side".

Originally Irish/British then lived in Spain briefly, 12 years in Argentina and now Australia but returning to Argentina once I get my citizenship here. I've suffered racism too as have members of my family (because of the Irish element) but not on the scale of black friends and black members of my family. Whites in the USA have enormous privilege compared to non-white citizens and to say that suffering under 'affirmative action' compares to real life racism is something I find risible and I'm not even going there.

So you don't think black people are capable of pulling themselves out of their situation on their own, but rather the government will solve their problem, it seems, if they just force enough white people to give them opportunities? And you don't see Affirmative Action as a racist policy? And you're for gun control.

And funny thing - black people in the US who interact well with society don't seem to suffer the same "lack of privilege" that black people who live in the ghetto and commit violence on their own race suffer. I wonder why? And BTW - I'm talking about today, not the first two thirds of the 20th century and what came before. I've seen huge changes in racism in the US during my lifetime, and then in the last 10 years or so I've seen it seem to go backwards.

People will tend to want to protect their own interests. A government that continues to segregate people based on their skin color will never resolve anything related to race relations because it causes divisions, no matter how well-intentioned that "help" may be.

And you don't see Affirmative Action as a racist policy? And you're for gun control.

I didn't say that. I said "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]to say that suffering under 'affirmative action' compares to real life racism is something I find risible". To clarify, affirmative action could be termed racist in the [/background]strictest sense, but nowhere on the scale of racism that non-white citizens suffer. If affirmative action is the worst of your problems then consider yourself lucky. And as for guns, I'd say I'm in favour of safety laws that protect the public. I'd include in that laws that prevent households having unfettered access to heavy military type weapons. And there we are at the beginning again!

El Queso:

I don`t think the violent in the ghetto is looking for an appeasement hand out from the government.
I think their resentment will build up even more hearing such a degrading argument .
And this is exactly what the problem is !

Now, it`s clear that the 1st option is dead.
We are left only with the 2nd option which is:

Let us forget it, ... declare Democracy dead and start separated and segregated homogeneous societies.

I didn't say that. I said "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]to say that suffering under 'affirmative action' compares to real life racism is something I find risible". To clarify, affirmative action could be termed racist in the [/background]strictest sense, but nowhere on the scale of racism that non-white citizens suffer. If affirmative action is the worst of your problems then consider yourself lucky. And as for guns, I'd say I'm in favour of safety laws that protect the public. I'd include in that laws that prevent households having unfettered access to heavy military type weapons. And there we are at the beginning again!
I consider racism to be one of the world's worst problems, I'd say. Personally, Affrimative Action hasn't caused me any real problems, though I have seen its effects first hand and I know in my heart that it is not a solution for racism or fairness. I'm just saying that Affirmative Action (which is a racist program, by its very definition, whether it is intended to combat racism or not) aids racism by giving it fuel and doesn't really help anyone, unless one counts getting people a job who are usually not the best person for the job, where that person doesn't really have to count on his or her own best efforts to get the job or retain it. Affirmative Action started a long time ago, and like most government programs it hasn't really resolved anything except to cause one group of people to depend on it and search for more dependencies to make things "fair", and cause resentment to another group of people, most of whom (at least no longer) actually discriminate against people from that other group in their daily lives but feel the resentment when they have hard lives as well (sorry, poor white people suffer in life as well as poor black people).

As to the gun aspect of things - the government doesn't make things "safer" without a cost. That cost is almost always liberty. How far do you go with making things safer? How many die of heart attacks due to high cholesterol and the poor food they eat, food which is designed and served to them by other people, compared to how many people are killed by other humans in a gun-related manner? Do we outlaw McDonald's because it's not safe to eat? (I know that's a bit of a jump, but people in the US have seriously discussed it) Where exactly is the line? Abortion? I don't know if you're Irish Catholic, and how strong you practice if you are, but you may well be against abortion (obviously, even if not Catholic or even not religious). In the US, many of the same people who want to control guns want to allow women to abort fetuses. That's not very safe for the fetus. And it seems to me to be an ass-backward concept to me.

How safe does the government really make you when you depend on the government? How fair is the government to you and others when you depend on the government? I guarantee you it's at best illusory and temporary.

El Queso:

I don`t think the violent in the ghetto is looking for an appeasement hand out from the government.
I think their resentment will build up even more hearing such a degrading argument .
And this is exactly what the problem is !

Now, it`s clear that the 1st option is dead.
We are left only with the 2nd option which is:

Let us forget it, ... declare Democracy dead and start separated and segregated homogeneous societies.
Khairy, my resentment at people who continue to blame me for their problems, and continue to demand money from me to fix their problems, continues to grow.

I don't consider what I said a degrading argument. I'm not even saying it is 100% their fault, nor taht all of them are in the same boat, even. Nor that they are consciously seeking it, but rather that they have been "enabled" for at least the last half century, told that they can't pull themselves out of their rut by their own government, that they must depend on the government to fix their problem. Is it degrading to tell an alcoholic that he is destroying his or her life? Or is it more a slap in the face and an attempt to bring the person to reality? The government has managed to keep a whole class of people in bad condition by these policies by creating dependencies. Read something other than neo-liberal propaganda (and not neo-conservative either - i would suggest true liberal writings, which haven't been espoused, at least in this country, for a couple of hundred years). Also try to understand how addictive dependencies work and how the government's policies have made things worse, not better, as they cause people to become addicted to government a the way to solve all problems.

I've never said, BTW, that democracy is dead. I have said it sucks. I have also agreed that it is the best form of government that we have managed to put together, as humans beings, to date. I've also said I don't believe that governments are necessary and indeed cause most of the problems we have, including forcing people with different opinions and values to work and live together whether they want to or not.

The US was created by a group of people (mostly true liberals, BTW, at least those who drove the changes) who had a whole lot more in common, i.e., was more homogeneous, with each other than the population of the US today. It was a whole lot smaller, too. Way more independent on an individual basis. Yet it didn't take very long for that government which espoused freedom, liberty, the right to pursue happiness (and remember; in the Declaration, they didn't seem to think people were guaranteed happiness by the State, but rather "merely" guaranteed the right to pursue it!) and all that jazz, to write into their very laws the support of slavery. They began slaughtering indigenous people. Invading other countries or territories. Things that didn't happen so much, on such a scale, when the country was smaller, before a concentration of power and wealth allowed the worst of them to exercise their truly evil power over others on a scale greater than was possible before the US government formed (on that continent). How long do you think, for example, that settlers who moved west would have survived killing "Indians" to take their land if the government didn't back them up and protect them by force of superior arms and movement? In many, if not most, cases, people lived in peace with the indigenous people until the government got involved and allowed the white man to take the land all the way to the west coast by murder and deceit.

Every time you want to enact a law to help someone else over any other group, you are creating a disparity in the other direction. In theory, that's fine because it's done ostensibly to create a balance. In practice, it's like communism and doesn't work. It doesn't take into account human nature, on many levels. The government's (any government) motives aren't usually pure, considering the government, at least the part that makes the laws, are made up of people who are seeking power and are literally bribing a group of people to vote their way so that group of people gets special treatment. And once those laws are in place, the bureaucracy tends to implement said laws with an inhuman distance and it never ends, whether things work or not. And that worked great for the white people first, BTW, until other politicians realized that they could use black folk for their own purposes - only problem is it didn't really help black folk.

Until everyone realizes skin color doesn't mean shit, there will be racism on both "sides".

So as long as people tell me that I have to believe that reverse racism is good, that giving money to people who the government says need it by taking it from others by force, and continuously trying to enact laws that are against our best interest as individuals and against the "social contract" that the entire framework is supposed to based on, yeah, I think separation is the only way to go.

And I would bet my life if I had the opportunity, as an example, that in one part of a country where I would settle that allowed people to live as they want as long as they didn't hurt others, a country where the government didn't continuously rob money from its people and give to whom they consider worthy of receiving it, that black, white, yellow, red and whatever-color people would live much more harmoniously. To the point where people could wear guns and have a much lower homicide rate than other places - and would be ready to defend their land from both external invasion and internal tyranny.

And I would also bet that a country where the government continued to push and rob and force people into whatever it considered as the proper course of action would continue to have social problems. (yes, in my opinion, this is what causes most of teh strange problems the US has these days with mass murders and such, not people carrying guns).

It's a shame I'll never get a chance to prove that bet, because governments on this world are so greedy that they will never let it happen, at least on this planet, within my lifetime.

Back on topic, more or less. I've just read that the RNC has prohibited guns from their convention. What kind of hypocrisy is that? Surely 20,000 'good guys with guns' under the same roof would make it the safest place in the USA?

Back