Ants

Mix peanut butter with borax (you can find it in small packets in the hardware stores) put it on a flat piece of cardboard and leave it where the ants are for a few days (refill if they eat it all) Use about 1 Tbsp of Borax to 2 Tbsp of PB

The workers will take this food back to the ant colony, eventually feeding it to all the workers and the queen, which will kill them in a few days... once the queen is caput, the colony is dead, no more ant problem.

We used this in our apartment in Belgrano, took about 3 weeks, but no more ants at all. The first day we put out the bait there were literally hundreds of ants feasting... little did they know it would be their demise!

Make sure you don't have any kids or pets that can eat the bait, it is toxic in large quantities to humans, which shouldn't be an issue with the amount used for the ants, better safe than sorry though. And much less toxic than spraying insecticides all over the place which only kill the visible ants... you need to kill the queen to kill the colony...

Another vote for the boric acid, it worked for us about 2 years ago.

It was quite spooky actually. I blogged about it at the time

http://brickybox.com/2012/03/16/me-versus-the-argentine-ants

skitched-20120316-105944.png

Here in southern France soon after we moved into our place, there were ants in 3 rooms (not the bedroom, thankfully). They all came at the same time in mid-April. We put down poison traps. Four weeks later they all disappeared on the same day but returned this year and left on the very same dates as last year. They're some variant of coach-surfer.

Re. California, ants are that bad in Sydney Australia too.

I meant 'couch-surfer'. (Am starting to forget English because I only speak it with my husband!

Back