Ants

cruizes

Registered
Since its cold outside the last few weeks I have noticed the very small ants around the food items. I have to hide in the microwave to keep them out. What would you suggest thst I use? I have a pet in the house so want to be very careful of what I use.

Cover your food with plastic bags or other recipient, cover the kitchen sink with a table cloth when you are not using it; basically erase any source of food or water.
Buy "Baygon, Insecticida Mata Hormigas en Aerosol" or similar in a supermarket; when you buy the poison ensure it says "hormigas" (ants). The poison for other bugs (like cockroaches) that you can buy in a supermarket will not kill the ants.

Do not apply the poison over the food :) . Apply the poison on entrance doors, toilet grids, or wherever an ant might come from. If this does not work you will need an stronger poison or to call a fumigator.

Cover your food with plastic bags or other recipient, cover the kitchen sink with a table cloth when you are not using it; basically erase any source of food or water.
Buy "Baygon, Insecticida Mata Hormigas en Aerosol" or similar in a supermarket; when you buy the poison ensure it says "hormigas" (ants). The poison for other bugs (like cockroaches) that you can buy in a supermarket will not kill the ants.

Do not apply the poison over the food :) . Apply the poison on entrance doors, toilet grids, or wherever an ant might come from. If this does not work you will need an stronger poison or to call a fumigator.

Argentine ants are a global plague: http://tinyurl.com/macy852

We've never had problems with them in our second-floor apartment in Palermo, but in California we have to keep the kitchen as spotless as possible and, even then, they often find a way in when it rains. Usually, just wiping them up with a household cleaner does the job. Grease and sugary things are the worst. We have never had to use an insecticide in the house, though we have put poison traps outside that they carry back to the nest (with limited success). We would never spray for them.

I don't suggest hiding in the microwave! ;)

We had a huge infestation in our yard - we thought our hedge was dying until we noticed that the ants had eaten all the leaves. We still have a bunch around and every so often my husband goes on a killing spree, but very hard to get rid of. They would even form trails across our lawn where they cut a path through the grass. Thankfully only once did they enter the house for the dog food - I made the mistake of putting her food dish next to the balcony door and they found it. Try to keep food away from windows and doors.

They could be "gorgojo" rather than ants. Had a wee problem with them myself. Plastic bags and bug spray to the rescue.

Put stuff in the refrigerator, once you've opened it. Cereal, crackers, sweets, etc.

In fact, in 3 de febrero, there is an ant nest that covers several km2, so, yes, they might be an issue.

In fact, in 3 de febrero, there is an ant nest that covers several km2, so, yes, they might be an issue.

In California, there's an Argentine ant colony that stretches from the Bay Area to the Mexican border and beyond.

Back