Any Canadian With A Baby Born In Argentina???

" If they want their baby to be Canadian they will have to have taken up residence in Canada at the time of it's birth. This was basically because the govt got sick and tired of 3rd gen Canadians who have never stepped foot in the country suddenly showing up on the radar when the sh$% hits the fan, or when they decide to file for CPP when they never contributed."
Smart.

Sounds like my situation too.
We are planning a trip to visit my folks, so I went down the the Canadian Consulate to talk with Natalia Grosso.

It was Natalia that helped me too -- she's great! At the time we got our child's citizen/pass we also got out my husband's PR -- by the time it was over I think they all knew who our entire family was. Unfortunately we got out my husband's PR and then we've never moved there yet -- I hope this doesn't cause problems in the future. I think we're supposed to have to move within 3 yrs or it expires, and it's already been two. My husband says no no it never expires since it's via a spouse, but I think that if we don't move it will expire and he'll have to get out the tourist visas again.

" If they want their baby to be Canadian they will have to have taken up residence in Canada at the time of it's birth. This was basically because the govt got sick and tired of 3rd gen Canadians who have never stepped foot in the country suddenly showing up on the radar when the sh$% hits the fan, or when they decide to file for CPP when they never contributed."
Smart.

It was changed / or the change coincided when all hell broke loose in Lebanon in 2006 or so, and instead of the 25k Lebanese-Canadians they were expecting to have to help out of the country, over 50k showed up asking for evacuation, most of whom had just taken out citizenship without having spent much time there at all.

Edit: Wikipedia even has an article about it, kind of racist idea. The thing is I have to admit now we're kind of on the other side of the coin and my husband took out his PR as a 'just in case".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadians_of_convenience

Although the term was used by others (such as Peter Worthington of the Toronto Sun) earlier during the conflict in Lebanon, it was made most prominent by posts by Garth Turner, a then Conservative MP for Halton, on his blog, and the subsequent reactions. Turner questioned the fairness of paying CAD$75,000 for each evacuee, saying, among other things, "that’s a hell of a lot of money to donate to people who do not live here, don’t pay taxes here, and may never come here again in their lives."[sup][1][/sup] The actual cost was about $6,300 for each evacuee ($94 million for 15,000 people).[sup][2][/sup]
The National Post has asserted, that of the 15,000 evacuated, about 7,000 may have returned to Lebanon within a month of being evacuated.[sup][3][/sup]

The law does leave out Canadians in different circumstances though... I was born to Canadian parents abroad, spent most of my adult life in Canada; high school, university and over ten years of working there, paying taxes, etc., I have a house there, my family is all there and my two children were born there, but I married an argentine. His work brought him back here for 2-3 years and we are having a 3rd baby who cannot be Canadian if born here (but luckily will be argentine!) so will need visas for travel all the time! It's just really annoying.

The law does leave out Canadians in different circumstances though... I was born to Canadian parents abroad, spent most of my adult life in Canada; high school, university and over ten years of working there, paying taxes, etc., I have a house there, my family is all there and my two children were born there, but I married an argentine. His work brought him back here for 2-3 years and we are having a 3rd baby who cannot be Canadian if born here (but luckily will be argentine!) so will need visas for travel all the time! It's just really annoying.

I dont understand why your 3rd can't be Canadian if you are??? i thought the paperwork was fairly easy even if the baby is born in argentina????

It's because I wasn't born in Canada nor did i immigrate, I inherited my citizenship through my father. Canadians born in Canada or naturalized to Canada can pass on citizenship to children born outside Canada. Under the new citizenship rules second generation Canadians cannot pass on citizenship. I believe you said you were naturalized/immigrated to Canada at a young age? that would make you a first generation Canadian with the ability to pass on citizenship, it should be a fairly easy process. Now your children on the other hand, they'll be second generation Canadian and not have the ability to pass on citizenship, that is unless the rules change again...

ahhh ok, i see! ohhh thats too bad! i say have your 3rd in Canada then to guarantee citizenship:)

The US has a residency requirement to pass on citizenship, which seems fairer. As Canada's law currently stands, a person born in Vermont across the border, lives his whole life in Quebec, and has a child again across the border, this child won't be a Canadian citizen at birth. This scenario was brought up by the press if I recall correctly.

However, it goes without saying that if the parents continue (or take up) residency in Canada, the child will be a permanent resident immediately and be entitled to citizenship in due course.

Back