Traditional UK/Canadian Christmas pudding or mince pies?

joftoronto

Registered
Hello:

I am Canadian (with partial British roots). A typical Christmas dinner dessert that is served in our family at Christmas is Christmas pudding with brandy sauce or mince pie. Does anyone know of any restaurants or shops that may sell these Christmas desserts (served on the 25th in our culture). I made the Christmas pudding a few years back here (my Grandmother's recipe) and it turned out all right but this year I do not have time to run around and find all the ingrediants (nor the prep time).

Also anyone know of a store that sells Christmas crackers (Not the kind the eat, but the type you serve with your plate as a kind of party favour?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Anywhere in the city, I'll uber it.

Thanks

J (of Toronto), The real one...

I think you’ve got No chance 😀

Raisins and other dried fruits are an absolute fortune and I don’t think I’ve ever seen suet here.

I think you’ve got No chance 😀

Raisins and other dried fruits are an absolute fortune and I don’t think I’ve ever seen suet here.
I had given up on finding suet. But I can adapt my recipes to make them without (blasphemy, I know right). Actually many of the ingrediants you can find in Coto, for Christmas pudding at least (at least that's where I found many last time). I've just been laid low with a nasty chest cold and haven't had as much energy to shop. BTW, the pudding I made here a few years ago, my grandmother would have been proud...;)

Good to know there are others who make their own mince pies, Christmas puddings and cakes, @joftoronto ! Unfortunately, because I regularly shuttle between here and the UK (and also BC once in a while) I only make these things in my kitchen in England and bring them over. For real suet in Argentina you need a real butcher who receives whole carcasses which traditionally still have the kidneys attached. From them you can buy lumps of suet as grasa de riñon de vaca and grate it yourself at home. I've no suggestions for where to buy these Christmas treats ready made but I'm sure you'll produce some brilliant stuff next year.

Thank you I appreciate the response. Yes one would think with their love of the cow and all meats, suet wouldn't be a stretch. I did look online and found something called vegetarian suet? Whatever the hell that is? And it was something like 26,000 pesos, so I'll stick to to a Christmas pudding without the suet this year.

Last edited:
Hello:

I am Canadian (with partial British roots). A typical Christmas dinner dessert that is served in our family at Christmas is Christmas pudding with brandy sauce or mince pie. Does anyone know of any restaurants or shops that may sell these Christmas desserts (served on the 25th in our culture). I made the Christmas pudding a few years back here (my Grandmother's recipe) and it turned out all right but this year I do not have time to run around and find all the ingrediants (nor the prep time).

Also anyone know of a store that sells Christmas crackers (Not the kind the eat, but the type you serve with your plate as a kind of party favour?

Thanks

I have bought Christmas crackers at the ABCC in the microcentre. This is an organisation that represents the Anglo-Argentine community (descendants of British immigrants). Call them to see if they are still in stock: Consejo de la Comunidad Argentino-Británica Esmeralda 634 - 2º D - C 1007 ABF - Buenos Aires, Argentina Tel 0054 11 5921-0634 © ABCC 2022

Hello:

Thanks

Dos Escudos bakery (Recoleta and Retiro) make a wonderful Prince of Wales cake. It may or not be available when you want it but if it's there it is the closest I know to Christmas cakes. It really was very good if you like that sort of cake which I do. Not inexpensive.

May I just check this with you, @nikad ? I've always bought and used grasa vacuna as just ordinary rendered beef fat which some of us call dripping. Suet is the white, almost tasteless fat found only around the kidneys of cattle and when I've bought it before I've always distinguished it from the regular beef fat.

Dos Escudos bakery (Recoleta and Retiro) make a wonderful Prince of Wales cake. It may or not be available when you want it but if it's there it is the closest I know to Christmas cakes. It really was very good if you like that sort of cake which I do. Not inexpensive.
Thank you Sergio. I just attended the bakery and they had the cake in question and it does look very much like a traditional English Christmas pudding. And it's an excellent looking bakery. Now I just need to make the rum sauce. Thank you so much for your recommendation.

Back