Any dinner for expats on Xmas Eve?

BAJoe

Registered
I though I saw a post where some expat offered to host a dinner for a group of tourists-expats for Christmas Eve but now I can`t find it here. Was it cancelled or did I just read wrong? Hope someone can clear this up. Or let me know if you found any restaurant, pub that may be open, better if it had a view to the general fireworks at midnite. Thanx

Speaking of Christmas, this recipe appears in today new york times for a little old fashioned christmas.
You begin by beating the egg yolks and sugar until they’re as thick as meringue, then loosen them up with bourbon and Cognac and, eventually, fold in both whipped cream and whipped egg whites, so it’s like a giant bowl of faintly boozy chiffon. Claiborne smartly adds salt to the egg whites to amplify and sharpen the flavors. The alcohol, which may seem like a lot when you’re pouring it in, actually isn’t much — just 2 cups to 6 cups other liquid — and so it swims through the layers of egg and cream as an echo to the nog rather than as a belt of good cheer.

1958: Eggnog
This recipe appeared in The Times in an article by Craig Claiborne.
As Freeman pointed out, “It’s important to get good farm-fresh eggs, with really orange yolks and really thick cream; these are the main constituents of the drink.” Halve the recipe for a smaller gathering.

12 eggs, separated
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup bourbon
1 cup Cognac
½ teaspoon salt
3 pints heavy cream
Grated nutmeg
1 to 2 cups milk (optional)
1. In an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until thick.
2. Slowly add the bourbon and Cognac while beating at slow speed. Chill for several hours.
3. Add the salt to the egg whites. Beat until almost stiff.
4. Whip the cream until stiff.
5. Fold the whipped cream into the yolk mixture, then fold in the beaten egg whites. Chill 1 hour.
6. When ready to serve, sprinkle the top with freshly grated nutmeg. Serve in punch cups with a spoon.
7. If desired, add 1 to 2 cups of milk to the yolk mixture for a thinner eggnog. Makes about 40 punch-cup servings.

Back