Any Gaucho's Close To Buenos Aires?

If this is the wrong forum, please forgive and feel free to move it to the correct one,

I'm in Argentina for several months doing photoessays and stories for travel magazines back in the U.S.

I figure a trip to Argentina without a gaucho story and photoshoot wouldn't be complete, Does anyone have any contacts that could help make this happen?

Feel free to email me directly at [email protected] or post here.

Thanks!

Jerry Nelson
JourneyAmerica.org

Please check the schedule for jineteadas and domas,

http://www.festival....e-de-jesús-marí

svm2.jpg

423709765_ab1b1102bb_b.jpg

There are estancias that cater to tourists and they have "real" gauchos that look a lot like the ones that ride past my house almost daily.

Here's one that impressed me when I searched "estancisa buenos aires gaucho" with google:

Santa Susana Ranch www.esantasusana.com.ar/english.htm

There are others:

Estancia Elombu http://www.estanciae...u.com/eombu.htm

and more here: http://<em>www.<stro...tinas.com/</em>

The management would probably be very happy to allow you take photos if they are going to be published (with appropriate reference to the enterprise) in a travel magazine, but I think they'll expect you to pay for a day trip which should include transportation.

I second Rich One's suggestion of visiting the Jesus Maria Festival de Doma y Folclore, which started last Friday and runs until the end of this upcoming weekend. My husband and I went last night, it was awesome!!! Doma for hours, contestants and attendees dressed in traditional clothing, and lots of music. It is the place to see Doma (where the guachos attempt to stay on wild horses) as well as interact with authentic guachos. I believe Jesus Maria's event is the biggest Doma festival in the country, and riders from all different provinces and even Chile and Brazil are represented. Sorry I can't help you out with any particular contacts, but if you need more info about the festival, PM me.

Local news coverage of the event. http://www.lavoz.com.ar/temas/festival-de-jesus-maria

I didn't realize the gaucho festival is currently on going.

Forget the estancias and check out the festival...undoubtedly the real thing.

I didn't realize the gaucho festival is currently on going.

Forget the estancias and check out the festival...undoubtedly the real thing.

Glad you backed up from your recommendation. :D ...the estancias are real nice for a day trip :wub:

Thanks for all the guidance and suggestions. Now, let me appear to be what I am -- a stupid American -- and ask one more question. What train should I take from B.A. to Cordoba? I've been all over the internet trying to figure that out and can't find which one. Thanks!

Thanks for all the guidance and suggestions. Now, let me appear to be what I am -- a stupid American -- and ask one more question. What train should I take from B.A. to Cordoba? I've been all over the internet trying to figure that out and can't find which one. Thanks!

It would be more common to take a bus than a train in Argentina. Look for a travel agency in your neighbourhood to book a trip.

If I may, id like move this topic of Gauchos "near" the city in a slightly different direction. Historically speaking the Gauchos were the "cowboys" if you will, who hunted, raised and lived off of the cattle in the pampa which may or may not have been herded here from Paraguay. Nowadays, my interpretation of Gaucho would be one who either owns land and or cares for cattle or horses in the province who still values the culture of the past Gaucho and lives/dresses accordingly. Now, a couple of thoughts, I live 40 km north east of capital and on the train ride I pass a number of villas with horses tied up on the proximities, eating grass, if there is any. I would say most of these horses are used to haul a trailer for cartoneros who pass in front of my house a couple times a month. Occasionaly, I will see a man on the train I ride dressed as a Gaucho as well. The times and culture has changed a lot in BA in the past 100 years and im sure many of these old timers still do consider themselves Gauchos even though they now live in sprawled GBA. Question for you as well Steve, as you actually DO live in the provincia, do many of the Gauchos riding past your house on horseback own land as well, a short ways out of Bahia Blanca? Do you have an annual Gaucho festival in Bahia Blanca? Any general thoughts on the difference between the historical and current day Gauchos?

Salud!

Lost in BA - there is a train, but it is very slow and not reliable. I would go for the bus to Cordoba, and then buy another ticket to Jesus Maria when you get to Cordoba. Buses should leave at least once an hour for JM. You would probably enjoy the festival more and make more contacts if you stay in JM. There are many people who rent out their homes for the event. The area is open daily from 5 pm to 3 am, with lots to do and people to see during the day.

As far as the Guacho culture, sure it has changed in the last 200 years. We visit my husband's small town, which is 100 km southeast of the city of Cordoba on a biweekly basis. This is the cattle/dairy/soy/corn/peanut producing region of the country and people are very proud of these traditions. In the country you see men working the fams in traditional, but not "over the top" gaucho wear. I often see small parades of guachos going by the main plaza, on all the mayor holidays. 25 de Mayo was big, and we just celebrated "Navidad Gaucha" where guachos on horses and folclore dancers reinacted the nativity scene.

There are frequent smaller guacho or doma fesitvals, and you often see guys, in fancy Ford F150s, towing horses, stopped at the gas station in bombachas and boots, filling up the tank. These guachos that dress up and attend festivals seem to be more along the line of wealthy land-owners that either grow soy or rent out land to famers. Some of my husband's friends who participate in guacho events have law, business and agronomy degrees, and live comfortable lives while managing the farm. In Cordoba at least, these small towns are booming with Soya dollars, and the people spend serious cash to celebrate their customs.

Back