Any Gaucho's Close To Buenos Aires?

Thanks for all the guidance and suggestions. Now, let me appear to be what I am -- a stupid American -- and ask one more question. What train should I take from B.A. to Cordoba? I've been all over the internet trying to figure that out and can't find which one. Thanks!

Wait...you don't know all the intricacies of the city you're visiting and don't actually live in? How dare you ask what train to take since people from every other country in the world, right when they land in Buenos Aires, they are actually able to tell the local Argentines how to get to places with tips on the best buses, all the bus routes that are airconditioned and how to take them and all the subte and train routes! Shame, shame. Yes, stupid Americans. Don't even know a foreign city like the back of their hand!!! Ugh, I'm appalled! /sarc-off

PS: Do they teach you in your universities to be self hating or do you master that habit on your own?

Wait...you don't know all the intricacies of the city you're visiting and don't actually live in? How dare you ask what train to take since people from every other country in the world, right when they land in Buenos Aires, they are actually able to tell the local Argentines how to get to places with tips on the best buses, all the bus routes that are airconditioned and how to take them and all the subte and train routes! Shame, shame. Yes, stupid Americans. Don't even know a foreign city like the back of their hand!!! Ugh, I'm appalled! /sarc-off

PS: Do they teach you in your universities to be self hating or do you master that habit on your own?

Huh?

If I may, id like move this topic of Gauchos "near" the city in a slightly different direction. Historically speaking the Gauchos were the "cowboys" if you will, who hunted, raised and lived off of the cattle in the pampa which may or may not have been herded here from Paraguay. Nowadays, my interpretation of Gaucho would be one who either owns land and or cares for cattle or horses in the province who still values the culture of the past Gaucho and lives/dresses accordingly.

Not quite.
Gauchos never had land and still don't have it. More campo owners you see dressed like Gauchos do it because it is fashionable, but they are probably growing soy/corn/wheat.
Gauchos were/are land workers, mostly taking care of cattle-related jobs. Traditionaly they would get a rancho (a simple house, not to be confused with the American rancho) on the campo they were/are working for. Gauchos used to move from a campo to the next in search of work. Some Gauchos spent their lives working on only one campo, but most of them did seasonal/'contract' jobs. One typical example would be going to some remote part of the campo where the cows roamed freely (=wild) and get 500 suitable young animals together and move them over many kilometers (>100km) to a new owner/market/matadero. That would take several weeks.
I am not aware of cattle moved in this way from Paraguay, as far as I know it was mostly in the Pampas.

For anyone interested in the Gaucho life as in the 19th century, there is a classic book by Ricardo Güiraldes called "Don Segundo Sombra". An amazing book, it will give an awesome impression of what Gaucho life was like.

Lost in BA - there is a train, but it is very slow and not reliable. I would go for the bus to Cordoba, and then buy another ticket to Jesus Maria when you get to Cordoba. Buses should leave at least once an hour for JM. You would probably enjoy the festival more and make more contacts if you stay in JM. There are many people who rent out their homes for the event. The area is open daily from 5 pm to 3 am, with lots to do and people to see during the day.

As far as the Guacho culture, sure it has changed in the last 200 years. We visit my husband's small town, which is 100 km southeast of the city of Cordoba on a biweekly basis. This is the cattle/dairy/soy/corn/peanut producing region of the country and people are very proud of these traditions. In the country you see men working the fams in traditional, but not "over the top" gaucho wear. I often see small parades of guachos going by the main plaza, on all the mayor holidays. 25 de Mayo was big, and we just celebrated "Navidad Gaucha" where guachos on horses and folclore dancers reinacted the nativity scene.

There are frequent smaller guacho or doma fesitvals, and you often see guys, in fancy Ford F150s, towing horses, stopped at the gas station in bombachas and boots, filling up the tank. These guachos that dress up and attend festivals seem to be more along the line of wealthy land-owners that either grow soy or rent out land to famers. Some of my husband's friends who participate in guacho events have law, business and agronomy degrees, and live comfortable lives while managing the farm. In Cordoba at least, these small towns are booming with Soya dollars, and the people spend serious cash to celebrate their customs.

Have a look at the meaning of guacho in Argentine spanish vs. Gaucho :D

Please confirm that you are interested in gauchos. Your posting the possessive form "gaucho's" makes the literate reader wonder "A gaucho's WHAT?"

I live 40 minutes from Capital and next to us in the "rodeo" which is basically a center for folklore. Once a month or so, people come from all over to do the various competitions, eat asado and show off their criollos. But any weekend day, you can see people here out riding their criollos on the street, with boinas and their knives and everything else. Are they working as gauchos during the week? Most probably aren't. But go to any campo anywhere in Argentina and you will still find them working on the land (although most have ATVs as well as their criollos these days).

I live 40 minutes from Capital and next to us in the "rodeo" which is basically a center for folklore. Once a month or so, people come from all over to do the various competitions, eat asado and show off their criollos. But any weekend day, you can see people here out riding their criollos on the street, with boinas and their knives and everything else. Are they working as gauchos during the week? Most probably aren't. But go to any campo anywhere in Argentina and you will still find them working on the land (although most have ATVs as well as their criollos these days).

ATVs are a hell of a lot easier to work on than horses. Most cattle rearing countries have ditched their stables for garages which is why I love Argentina's and Uruguay's countryside culture. The Gaucho's traditions here are a real treasure and quite unique in the world.

my great grandfather came here to be a gaucho... how might I search for the name?

For a closer look at gauchos try the "Feria de Matadores." Google it. Here in Buenos Aires. Food stalls , artesian stuff rom the interior , and yes gouchos !! I believe it is every weekend.

I go to my Father in Law's campo , where he has a real gaucho who lives and works there. We ride horses , count and move cows ,fix fences, get fresh eggs , shoot guns , drive around in a 1942 Willy's Jeep, and of course enjoy assado's.......

Back