Any Google Fi Users?

I’m contemplating subscribing to Google Fi for the next 6 weeks in addition to my normal plan as a test run to see how good this plan is in Argentina. Is anyone here currently using this service? If so, how do you like it?
This is a great tip, but I don't understand how this works. Can you please clarify? I went to the Google Fi website but they do a poor job explaining how this works. Here are some of my questions: do I replace my current provider, or is this an additional service to my current cell provider? I use T Mobile in the US, and I pay a regular monthly bill for domestic calls, but also pay an extra $15 or so a month for their international plan. This allows me to make calls to Argentina, and from Argentina, for about $0.25 a minute. Wifi calls are free. If I use Google Fi, do I cancel my TMobile international plan but not their domestic plan, or do I cancel both plans and just switch my cell line to Google Fi.

I would greatly appreciate any further explanation you can provide to this great tip of yours.

Google fi replaces a current cell provider. You’ll need to research more (do a search on reddit) in order to reap the full benefits of the service. If your phone is not designed for google fi but is compatible, you only get to use TMobile as your provider and don’t get to benefit from the auto-switching between the three negotiated US providers. For international, you benefit from switching between cellular and wifi if your phone is designed for Fi, otherwise compatible phone users have to switch manually and use a dialer app for international calling. Use the tool on the website to check if your phone is optimized or compatible. Best bet on getting the info that’s important to you is to read what others have written about it on reddit or by doing a google search for articles others have written.

Since I wasn't familiar with Google Fi, I poked around their website after seeing this post. Just from my personal experience, but be aware that the reach of their network is hugely overstated on their coverage map.
you mean US coverage? or outside the US?

Yeah, if you get a google-fi-ready phone, you’re able to switch between 3 carriers in the US (TMobile, Sprint, and US Mobile-?). They have less rural coverage in the US which may be an issue for me.

My biggest concern though is international (primarily Argentina) coverage. My billed international service effectively doubled my bill. It would cost me the same amount to have my current plan and google-fi simultaneously, while I test it out.
i was concerned about coverage in argentina before i moved down as well. but i have been all over the country at this point in several different cities big and small...and i've had no problems at all. only occasionally when we are in the middle of nowhere land you get poor signal but i would expect that with a local phone.

i was concerned about coverage in argentina before i moved down as well. but i have been all over the country at this point in several different cities big and small...and i've had no problems at all. only occasionally when we are in the middle of nowhere land you get poor signal but i would expect that with a local phone.
Fantastic! Thanks

This is a great tip, but I don't understand how this works. Can you please clarify? I went to the Google Fi website but they do a poor job explaining how this works. Here are some of my questions: do I replace my current provider, or is this an additional service to my current cell provider? I use T Mobile in the US, and I pay a regular monthly bill for domestic calls, but also pay an extra $15 or so a month for their international plan. This allows me to make calls to Argentina, and from Argentina, for about $0.25 a minute. Wifi calls are free. If I use Google Fi, do I cancel my TMobile international plan but not their domestic plan, or do I cancel both plans and just switch my cell line to Google Fi.

I would greatly appreciate any further explanation you can provide to this great tip of yours.

May I suggest that you post your questions to either GoogleFi support or the GoogleFi community.
https://support.google.com/fi/community?hl=en
And then please let us know if you learn anything thats of general interest.

Thank you all for the tip and feedback on Google Fi. I did look up the excellent description on how Google Fi works, as suggested by Sojourner. I also went to the Google Fi website and looked at their help section. This is what I figured out: Google Fi replaces your current cell line provider. Instead of paying them, you pay Google Fi, and you get basically the same service/benefits at a lower cost. I use TMobile and pay extra for their international calling plan. I will give Google Fi more time to improve their service before I switch. I am afraid that, if I switch now, I will end up with some unknown hassles, so I'd rather keep paying a bit more for peace of mind. Thanks again to all who contributed to this post.

I've had it since it was in beta. It works great in Argentina. We've overcome some problems. At the beginning, it worked on Claro and Movistar. When on Claro's network the incoming caller ID wouldn't work. Now it uses Movistar in BA and Claro only in rural areas which works much better.
The only problems I have is 1 - WiFi calling does not work on Argentine wifi networks (unless you have a VPN with a foreign IP). Google says some legal regulations don't allow it, which is not true, that law ended in 2001 and most Argentine carriers do have WiFi calling now. 2 - you have to deal with the INSANE number of spam calls that come with having a US phone number nowadays.

It's not cheaper than having a local number and Skype, but if you need a US number and travel a lot, it's a great option. The plan is simple. $20 a month unlimited talk within the US and WiFi abroad and text (Most americans still rely on text not whatsapp). + $10/gb of LTE data. Works great!
What makes it not competitive is that whatsapp consumes data, unlike most local plans in Argentina.

This is my invite link for $20 credit (full disclosure, I get $20 too). Not posting for the credit as you can tell I'm not really giving it the best endorsement, but figured I'd share the invite link. Hopefuly it's not against the forum rules (first post) https://g.co/fi/r/C3K794

Back