Any Google Fi Users?

I've got the chip and planning to install it before my next trip.
I'm hoping that I can use it to eliminate hassle of buying sim cards when I travel (We'll be in 6 countries during the first half of this year)

Get a personal black fully loaded plan. Full data roaming capabilities in North, South, Central America, Carribean and Europe. Its a great deal. No hassles at all.

For a USA phone number , a magic jack app loaded on iphone works awesome.

For cheap phone calls from anywhere to anywhere, majic jack app in combination wih pingo.com toll free number from usa works best.

Last edited:
I've got the chip and planning to install it before my next trip.
I'm hoping that I can use it to eliminate hassle of buying sim cards when I travel (We'll be in 6 countries during the first half of this year)

welcome to the club! it really will be just as simple as turning off airplane mode when you land.

as a point of reference, my bill each month varies between 60-80 dollars, depending on how much mobile data i'm using. that's far cheaper than any other US plan i could have had with international data. it's worth it for travelers.

I plan to continue using Movistar in Argentina since I have a family plan and since Google Fi would consider me to be roaming while here.
But I am thinking that Google Fi can help me with another problem, when I want to access financial accounts and services in The US, they often want to send a security code to my phone. But they insist on it being a US number. So far Google Fi seems like the best way to receive the code but it will require me to put in the Google Fi chip.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

well, yes you will have the US number for that with google FI so you would be able to receive those.

but i don't understand your point about continuing with movistar. you aren't "roaming" with google fi, it's normal service as if you were still in the US. yes, there is a tiny charge for calls and texts using it here but unless you are a heavy phone user i don't see the value of keeping the movistar phone. unless you need a local arg number for similar reason as needing the USA one?

well, yes you will have the US number for that with google FI so you would be able to receive those.

but i don't understand your point about continuing with movistar. you aren't "roaming" with google fi, it's normal service as if you were still in the US. yes, there is a tiny charge for calls and texts using it here but unless you are a heavy phone user i don't see the value of keeping the movistar phone. unless you need a local arg number for similar reason as needing the USA one?

Awhile back I read that Google loses money on foreigners using Fi full time and has been threatening to close those accounts.
Also my Movistar is pretty much free.
I'm going to ease in to using Fi and see what happens.

i've used Fi here for over 2 years now exclusively and there have been no warnings or threats of the sort

Will it work to use a USA number in Argentina for Argentinian matters, or is it necessary to have an Argentinian phone number? Will Argentinians be charged long distance to call me?

Google Fi is interesting and so are the Pixel phones. Yesterday I noticed a deal they are having where you can get the Pixel 4a for $217 and this is paying only $9 a month for the phone for 2 years, so you're not even paying it all at once. Pixel 4a is already a good price and now this is much better. You have to sign up for Google Fi though. I signed up yesterday because I like the Pixel phones, 4a is well reviewed phone. Also, I don't expect to have much data usage since I'll move my music files into the phone rather than stream it, has 128 GB storage, so maybe I'll save on monthly phone bill as well. Also, there are multiple carriers so I'm hoping I'll get better reception than my current provider. And if I visit Argentina that'll be an additional advantage. I have the Pixel 1 phone and am very satisfied. It's got various features like call screening which is very useful, and there is a new hold feature where the AI will let you know when you're on hold that someone has picked up on the other side. Also gets good updates compared to other Android phones, for 3 years I think.

Will it work to use a USA number in Argentina for Argentinian matters, or is it necessary to have an Argentinian phone number? Will Argentinians be charged long distance to call me?

Google Fi is interesting and so are the Pixel phones. Yesterday I noticed a deal they are having where you can get the Pixel 4a for $217 and this is paying only $9 a month for the phone for 2 years, so you're not even paying it all at once. Pixel 4a is already a good price and now this is much better. You have to sign up for Google Fi though. I signed up yesterday because I like the Pixel phones, 4a is well reviewed phone. Also, I don't expect to have much data usage since I'll move my music files into the phone rather than stream it, has 128 GB storage, so maybe I'll save on monthly phone bill as well. Also, there are multiple carriers so I'm hoping I'll get better reception than my current provider. And if I visit Argentina that'll be an additional advantage. I have the Pixel 1 phone and am very satisfied. It's got various features like call screening which is very useful, and there is a new hold feature where the AI will let you know when you're on hold that someone has picked up on the other side. Also gets good updates compared to other Android phones, for 3 years I think.

When you to BA buy an inexpensive Movistar SIM for prepaid service. People here will answer to a local call and will call back.. A US number gets always higher prices $$ for whatever product you intend to buy...! Whatsapp calls are always a possibility, however must companies have land lines..!

Back