Any Google Fi Users?

Will it work to use a USA number in Argentina for Argentinian matters, or is it necessary to have an Argentinian phone number? Will Argentinians be charged long distance to call me?

Google Fi is interesting and so are the Pixel phones. Yesterday I noticed a deal they are having where you can get the Pixel 4a for $217 and this is paying only $9 a month for the phone for 2 years, so you're not even paying it all at once. Pixel 4a is already a good price and now this is much better. You have to sign up for Google Fi though. I signed up yesterday because I like the Pixel phones, 4a is well reviewed phone. Also, I don't expect to have much data usage since I'll move my music files into the phone rather than stream it, has 128 GB storage, so maybe I'll save on monthly phone bill as well. Also, there are multiple carriers so I'm hoping I'll get better reception than my current provider. And if I visit Argentina that'll be an additional advantage. I have the Pixel 1 phone and am very satisfied. It's got various features like call screening which is very useful, and there is a new hold feature where the AI will let you know when you're on hold that someone has picked up on the other side. Also gets good updates compared to other Android phones, for 3 years I think.

The Google Fi program is strictly for Americans to use in the U.S with limited travel outside the U.S.. It must be activated while in the U.S. and the account will be cancelled if Google detects that you are usinging it regularly outside the U.S. To the best of my knowledge it's not publicly known how they determine this but it's thought to be related to the charges the phone incurs for using foreign cellular services so I try to avoid using foreign cell services as much as possible. I have Google Fi turned off most of the time and use the phone mostly with my wifi. I turn it on when I need to make calls or when I'm receiving a sms. There is a slot for an esim which can also be used. I try to keep my travelling and Arg cell phone usage below 150mb per month.
My Pixel 3A usually connects quickly to the nearest/strong cell tower. I don't think I've ever failed to get a connection or had a disconnection. I'm sure you'll be hapoy with the 4A

Will it work to use a USA number in Argentina for Argentinian matters, or is it necessary to have an Argentinian phone number? Will Argentinians be charged long distance to call me?

Google Fi is interesting and so are the Pixel phones. Yesterday I noticed a deal they are having where you can get the Pixel 4a for $217 and this is paying only $9 a month for the phone for 2 years, so you're not even paying it all at once. Pixel 4a is already a good price and now this is much better. You have to sign up for Google Fi though. I signed up yesterday because I like the Pixel phones, 4a is well reviewed phone. Also, I don't expect to have much data usage since I'll move my music files into the phone rather than stream it, has 128 GB storage, so maybe I'll save on monthly phone bill as well. Also, there are multiple carriers so I'm hoping I'll get better reception than my current provider. And if I visit Argentina that'll be an additional advantage. I have the Pixel 1 phone and am very satisfied. It's got various features like call screening which is very useful, and there is a new hold feature where the AI will let you know when you're on hold that someone has picked up on the other side. Also gets good updates compared to other Android phones, for 3 years I think.
unfortunately, most of the time your US number won't jive with things here. you can't use a foreign number to attach to your bank account, for example. not because it isnt allowed, but i think because their systems can't handle it. sometimes it causes problems with delivery drivers or things like that, but with whatsapp it isn't too much of an issue. in the 3 years i've lived here with Fi i've never had a big enough issue to where i needed to get a local number.

and yes, it is true that the terms of service does say it isn't meant for permanent life outside....but well, so far for me it hasn't mattered. plus, anywhere else you go in the world it's seamless.

The Google Fi program is strictly for Americans to use in the U.S with limited travel outside the U.S.. It must be activated while in the U.S. and the account will be cancelled if Google detects that you are usinging it regularly outside the U.S. To the best of my knowledge it's not publicly known how they determine this but it's thought to be related to the charges the phone incurs for using foreign cellular services so I try to avoid using foreign cell services as much as possible. I have Google Fi turned off most of the time and use the phone mostly with my wifi. I turn it on when I need to make calls or when I'm receiving a sms. There is a slot for an esim which can also be used. I try to keep my travelling and Arg cell phone usage below 150mb per month.
My Pixel 3A usually connects quickly to the nearest/strong cell tower. I don't think I've ever failed to get a connection or had a disconnection. I'm sure you'll be hapoy with the 4A

I'm not so sure that google cares that much. I have a friend who got google fi and moved to Canada and used it on a daily basis for like 2 years so far no problems at all.

I'm not so sure that google cares that much. I have a friend who got google fi and moved to Canada and used it on a daily basis for like 2 years so far no problems at all.

Maybe Covid-19 has affected Google Fi's account terminations. But too much usage abroad is a violation of their terms of service and if you check back on this forum and you'll find a lot of discussion on this topic. Or Google the topic. Lots of stories about receiving messages like this:

Hello traveler!
It looks like you’ve been using Fi abroad for over 6 months, but Fi’s terms of service require you to use our service primarily from a US address. This means we’ll need to suspend your international data roaming capabilities within 30 days, unless you start using Fi in the US again.

Yes, indeed. Saw a Youtube video of someone with Fi having problems if using it too long outside of USA. Apparently it's not for extended living abroad. If I recall it said if you go back to the states and it registers a USA cell tower it affects this, so if you're visiting USA periodically it may not be messing with you. Apparently this wasn't always the case but they started to crack down on it from what I recall.

My phone is going to have 1 esim and 1 physical sim? If I go to Argentina and get a local carrier, which one do you recommend I use with them, the physical or esim?

My phone is going to have 1 esim and 1 physical sim? If I go to Argentina and get a local carrier, which one do you recommend I use with them, the physical or esim?
i don't really understand the question. as far as i know you don't get to choose sim type. you get what they give you

i don't really understand the question. as far as i know you don't get to choose sim type. you get what they give you

For Personal and Movistar in some offices you can ask for eSim activation. Then they don't give you an actual sim card, since it is embedded into your phone. They give you a card with a QR code to be used for activation. I don't think it can be done online currently, though.

Back