Any Google Fi Users?

i don't really understand the question. as far as i know you don't get to choose sim type. you get what they give you

That was my concern, that I might not get a choice. But Google Fi give you a choice apparently, so I guess with Fi might be better to go with esim and leave the more common physical sim for foreign carriers, incase they don't support esim.

I asked Google Fi support some questions yesterday afternoon. Last night I recieved a very nice, complete response which I'm posting below for anyone who is interested. I continue to be very pleased with the support they give me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for contacting Google Fi Support.

I understand that you have questions regarding the Google Fi International usage with your Pixel 3a phone. I'd be glad to help.

While you are travelling outside the U.S, you should have the data service enabled in order to receive the SMS code. You may also enable the Wi-Fi in order to receive the SMS code. Texts sent through the Messages by Google app over Google Fi mobile data won't be charged and won't show as data usage in the Google Fi app or website.

Texts sent through Hangouts over Google Fi mobile data is charged and shows as data usage in the Google Fi app and website. Data used is charged at the standard rate of $10/GB.
In regards to the switching between local network on an eSIM and Google Fi on a physical SIM card, we could see that you are currently using the Google Fi network on an eSIM feature. We would advise you to keep the Fi service active on the eSIM and you can purchase a physical SIM card of the local network and insert it in the SIM card slot by removing the Google Fi SIM card.
Please note that the Google Fi has to be active on the integrated eSIM feature when you activate another SIM carrier in the same phone. If you set up your Google Fi eSIM and also have a physical SIM card for a different carrier, you can switch between mobile networks. You can activate or use a non-Fi physical SIM even after activating an eSIM on your device:
  1. Insert the non-Fi physical SIM into your phone. You should see a notification.
  2. Tap the pop-up notification to switch to the physical SIM and disable the eSIM.
NOTE: While customers should be able to activate & download a Google Fi eSIM profile while abroad, it's not officially supported by Google. If you experience issues, we cannot guarantee a resolution.
Switch between your eSIM and physical SIM card:
If you set up your Google Fi eSIM and also have a physical SIM card for a different carrier, you can switch between mobile networks.
  1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Tap Network & Internet.
  3. Tap Mobile Network.
  4. Tap Advanced.
  5. Choose the name of the carrier you'd like to use.
  6. Tap Switch.
View a tutorial on how to set up your eSIM or switch between physical SIM and eSIM on your Android.
For more information, please access this link.
If the issue persists or if you have any queries, feel free to reply to this email or contact us over chat. We are here to support 24/7.

Back